Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet loads for 40 S&W please

Pet loads for 40 S&W please

Fighting data overload here trying to search the Forum for this info...

Would anyone care to share their favorite loads for the Lee 175 gr 1 lube groove ball in the 40 S&W?

Currently have WSF and WST powders on hand. Never loaded this beast before, trying to roll some reloads for a friend.

All suggestions accepted, thanks in advance.

Jack

Banned

look at loads in the 900-950 fps area to get started.

Boolit Master
    Data for specific Lee boolits is a bit scarce and other boolits data's OALs may not work so good, so use your friend's barrel as a gauge for OAL. I load a good bit with that boolit because my family likes to shoot it because my load for them is decently accurate at close ranges (25 yards and in) and low recoil, low noise (relatively speaking, of course). WW primer, Starline case, and just enough TrailBoss to NOT yield a compressed load. If you follow TB's 70% rule of thumb, you will get an occasional failure to cycle in this little case.

prs

I've used 180g lead data for the Lee 401-175-TC which I seat to 1.135". That leaves a part of the vertical section sticking out of the case so make sure your bullets pass the plunk test if you do this or seat the bullet deeper (to the edge of the cone) and back off on the powder by about 0.2g to start with.

My pet load is 5.0g Unique, although I can safely shoot up to 6.5g. Just no need to push that hard when punching paper.

The Hodgdon website for 180g lead says 5.5g to 6.0g of WSF. Looks like 5.5g will get you in the 950's with a good safety margin while 6.0g will be pushing it @ 1000 fps. They also state 3.9-4.3g of WST, but those look like "powder puff" loads in the low 800's. Nothing wrong with that, but my 3.0g Clays load @ 800 fps makes me feel like I am shooting a 9mm instead of a 40.

180g lead data for the Lee 401-175-TC
    I've done max jacketed load using 231, but usually drop back 5-10% to save wear & tear on me and the brass. I use a pretty tough alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody said it so I will be the first wisenheimer: why are you using your 40 cal on your pets?

Boolit Master

My standard load has been the Lee 401-175 TC, lubed with various lubes but most recently BAC, cast with range scrap (mine weigh about 180) sized to .401 in a Lyman 450, over 5 grains of Unique. This load has worked quite well in 6 different Glocks (22s, 23s, a 27) and a friend's CZ in 40 S&W. Alliant lists 5 grains in the starting load category with over 6 being max. I personally shoot Glocks with stock barrels and have not had any issues with leading. When I get some more primers I will be trying this same load with some plain based gas checks to see how the groups react.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Moderator Emeritus

Try 6.5 gr power pistol and work up to the max in the manual of your choice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Man

6.5 Grains longshot
    1.135 OAL
    Sized .402
    about 1000Fps out of a 4" barrel

I have pushed it all the way to 8 grains (1200FPS) but stay below 7 grains to allow me to load 1000 rounds per pound. This is my go to load it has all the recoil of my carry ammo for training, and since I had mine hollow pointed it still has some good terminal effects.

LOL! Good one jonp!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    look at loads in the 900-950 fps area to get started.
    +1 and I also like to use heavier boolits as well.......they seem to be easier to find accuracy with, boolit/powder combinations.

I like both powders for the 40. I use 5.5gr of WSF for full power equiv w/ a 175gr LRNFP or LTC. A nice plinker is 4.5gr of WST. Load all to max OAL for your gun, 1.125"-1.135".
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I run 3.8 gr WSt for a USPSA minor load. PF of about 130, about 800 fps. Very soft and fast where speed is the game. 4.2 gr of Bullesye gets it a little more zip. I have not tried WSF yet in it but it should be great for full power loads. WST is too fast for major fourty loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I've used 180g lead data for the Lee 401-175-TC which I seat to 1.135". That leaves a part of the vertical section sticking out of the case so make sure your bullets pass the plunk test if you do this or seat the bullet deeper (to the edge of the cone) and back off on the powder by about 0.2g to start with.

My pet load is 5.0g Unique, although I can safely shoot up to 6.5g. Just no need to push that hard when punching paper.

The Hodgdon website for 180g lead says 5.5g to 6.0g of WSF. Looks like 5.5g will get you in the 950's with a good safety margin while 6.0g will be pushing it @ 1000 fps. They also state 3.9-4.3g of WST, but those look like "powder puff" loads in the low 800's. Nothing wrong with that, but my 3.0g Clays load @ 800 fps makes me feel like I am shooting a 9mm instead of a 40.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JackQuest View Post
    Fighting data overload here trying to search the Forum for this info...

Would anyone care to share their favorite loads for the Lee 175 gr 1 lube groove ball in the 40 S&W?

Currently have WSF and WST powders on hand. Never loaded this beast before, trying to roll some reloads for a friend.

All suggestions accepted, thanks in advance.

Jack

I have the Lee 6 cavity mold for 175 Gn. truncated lubed and sized to 401 in my Lyman lubersizer (one lube grove) using 5.3 Gn. Bullseye and CCI 500 primers seated at 1.083. I tried seating them longer but had feeding problems. These are for my Glock 22

I had a difficult time finding data for cast bullets to use in the 40S&W so I'll give you what worked best for me with the Lee 175gr TL bullet. I don't use WSF or WST but I've had great luck with Hodgdon Longshot in the 40S&W. The best just practice/combat load I've found is 5.0gr of Hodgdon Longshot using CCI SPP. Accuracy and function were there without beating me or the pistol(s) up. I've loaded as far up as 6.5gr of Longshot but I felt it was pushing the limit so I backed it backdown from there. You didn't mention what pistol(s) you want to use the load in but I've used the 5.0gr load in my XD, Glock and H&K and its' worked without fail. As always work from the bottom up when developing loads. Good Luck!

Thanks to all who provided info! Really great to see the support. As I don't have a 40 but will be loading for 3-4 different weapons this information is golden!

Jack,

I'm late to the party, but here we are:

My Lee mould for 40 S&W is on backorder. Whilst waiting, I am loading 180 grain store bought cast lead flat points. Although I have WSF and WST as you do, I happen to have UNIQUE in the powder measure. I'm giving them 4.8 grains of UNIQUE. As rsrocket1 mentions above, 4.8 grains of UNIQUE is not flirting with hot...nice plinking/target load. Being 40 S&W, they are still stiff - they'll let you know when the pistol goes off.

These I've loaded up are playing nicely with my GLOCK 23 and the neighbour's Beretta. Not sure what model his Beretta is. 100% feed and extract on both pistols.

Ray

Boolit Master

Jack,

There does seem to be a shortage of data for cast boolits in the .40 online.

Garym1a is right about WST being too fast for full power .40 loads. The pressures involved in .40 S&W are very high, putting it in the magnum category. Little differences in seating depth, or more accurately, the room you leave below the base of the boolit, can make big differences in pressure and velocity. Some law enforcement kabooms have been blamed on bullet setback from clearing their service weapons every night and then reloading the same round or two into the chamber over and over, causing the bullet to be pushed a little deeper into the case. Less volume= more pressure.

I've run a few kegs of Titegroup through my .40 for USPSA shooting with cast boolits. Hodgdon's published data for the 180 grain bullet with Titegroup is pretty close to my results with cast boolits. Yours will be a little different since your barrel is different and your alloy is probably different. I've run some commercial boolits when I didn't have time to cast my own and with the same cases, primers and powder the velocities were alarmingly different. Everything matters when you're loading .40 S&W. It is much more sensitive than the .45 acp or other more "forgiving" cartridges.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

180g TC (Berrys, Rainier, cast or jacketed) 5.4 gr Unique.

I've standardized on Lee's 175 grain TC and Ramshot True Blue. Very clean burning and at about 950 fps very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast