Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Bevel bottom boolits

Boolit Buddy

Bevel bottom boolits

All things being equal - are bevel bottom boolits more prone to leading than a flat base?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Nope.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Fair enough - can I cast blame on lube then? The bb boolits have some sort of blue lube. Others I had tested were tumbled in alox mixture - none are of my own making - I am still putting together my casting equipment.

Boolit Master
    You can blame the lube, boolit hardness and/or its fit, the type and/or amount of powder . . .

Boolit Buddy
    True enough - However the two differences with my leading and non-leading loads are bb and lube.

Is it possible to tumble the blue wax bullets in an alox mixture without having to remove the wax?

Banned

yep...

Boolit Master
    runfiverun:

You sure are talkative tonight.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by repawn View Post
    True enough - However the two differences with my leading and non-leading loads are bb and lube.

Is it possible to tumble the blue wax bullets in an alox mixture without having to remove the wax?
    Not only possible but I think it's a good idea. I would recommend 45/45/10. I think it's referred to here as "Recluse lube"? It's good stuff!

Banned

The only problem I had with a BB was it had a short drive area and did not like the twist. Removing the BB from the mold made it more accurate.
    The same can happen with a GC boolit that is short and you leave the check off.
    Always shoot and test first, some shoot just fine.

Boolit Master

repawn - Measure both kinds of boolits with a micrometer and see if the blue lube/bb boolits aren't smaller. I'll bet they are. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info - will do some measuring tonight. I need to get some alox today so I can mix up some recluse lube as well. I didn't mind leading so much with my 9mm - just broke it down and scrubbed the barrel - with the revolver cleaning the lead out is harder and I want to be careful with the bluing.

Boolit Grand Master

You'll get both; yes, the bevel based bullets lead easier, and no, no difference at all. Some say the bevel doesn't seal the bore and allows gas to melt bullet sides above the bevel (and affects accuracy, too), and some say no, melting of the bullet has no leading effect. I don't like bevel based bullets because of lubing. When I pan lube there's a ring of lube on the base. When I tumble the lube puddles around the bevel an also leaves some lube on the bevel (I guess I could stand the bullets on their nose and the 45-45-10 will run down to the nose...). I'll figger it out soon enough 'cause I have a mold that I really like and it's bevel based (Lee 45 cal. 200 gr. SWC BB), and I get good bullets out of it!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Turns our to be a sizing issue - at least I am reasonably sure. The bb boolits measured .3575 while my other boolits measured .3585, .359, and the 158 gr rn was at .360.
    So my guess would be that bb boolit is too small.
    Thanks all for your help