Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .36 cap and ball

Boolit Master

.36 cap and ball

So I went into the local used gun store for a decent priced used scope. Found a pretty decent Burris 4X for my new 45-70 Rio Grande for $65.

While there a nice collection of cap and call pistols had come. I picked up a Navy Arms .36 caliber that felt so darn good. Not sure if its stainless or a dull knickel, engraved cylinder, and fancy Indian Head grips for $185. There were some other .44s and such FYI all the same price is anybody wants the rest. All but one in very good shape Outdoor Sports in Cody and they will ship.

Anyways if it was yours what would you feed it? Round balls VS boolits, and BP VS substitute? I havent shot any BP since my last can of GOEX ran out a few years ago.

Thanks in advance.

RB and BP

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Mike. RB and 3f BP would be my load.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Here's your choices to feed it ... http://www.goexpowder.com/images/Loa...-Revolvers.pdf
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. And thanks for that link! Now to find some FFFg.

Boolit Master

I have a 36 Navy that I have been loading with 32 gr FFF with Round ball. Worked well but the mold I have is two cavity, one is round ball and the other is Sabot. The Sabot with the same load will shoot a tighter group.

Boolit Master

The pistol.

Boolit Master
    Two of my favorite .36 Colts that I saw in Cody, WY last summer (Hickok's)

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking gun you have there.
    I buy my .375 RB from Masscaster on this forum.
    Made up some waxed felt wads (durofelt http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html) and use 3f Goex. Clean with hot soapy water. I usually tear mine down for cleaning. I also use T/C bore butter on it after cleaning.

Enjoy yours - they are gun to shoot.

Repawn is right, teardown and hot soapy water is the way to go. Remember to oil all the metal before it cools.

Boolit Master
    Dumb question I still have a few tins of percussion caps for my hawken are they the same size caps? I'm headed to the sporting goods store to try and get some powder and ball

Boolit Master
    From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
    "Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."

#11 caps should be fine, even if you have to pinch them down to make them fit. #10 might be too small. I use .380 round balls - sometimes .375 fit, sometimes they are too small. I would not use any petroleum products on the internals. Bore Butter is good.

Boolit Master
    Well digging in my stash I found a nice pistol powder dispenser and a tin of #10 and #11 caps. The #10 are perfect.

I failed to to find any real FFFg locally and had to buy Pyrodex P FFFg substitute and some Hornady .375 balls. Im going to make a measuring cup out of an old case and I'm going to try it out at lunch tomorrow.

Thanks for the cap info BTW.

Boolit Master
    Well lots of misfires with the #10 caps so #11s were used.
    The cylinder holds 19.5g of FFFg equivilant and I shot this at 10y.

Backed off to 25y and after blowing a few cylinders found I had to aim at bottom left of this target stand to hit center of the top target

Boolit Master
    Aimed at bottom left of red stand to but the top target

So the front bearish small and that leaves opening the hammer V rear groove. Or replace front bead. Ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    I have read that you are supposed to file out the notch - I haven't touched mine - I just use Kentucky windage. I have read that they are set at about 75 yards - I haven't confirmed that though.

I have found that #10 caps fit better but also fail more - so I just use 11s.

Remington # 10's fit mine best. If #11's fit and don't fall off go with those. C&B guns always shoot high. KY windage or dove tail a new taller front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Two of my favorite .36 Colts that I saw in Cody, WY last summer (Hickok's)

The one on the right was donated or loaned by Sterling Fenn. I worked with him on the Fetterman dig at Fort Phil Kearny WY. That man knew more about western American history than anyone I have ever known.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Master
    I clean my bp guns with ballistol moose milk (bulk Ballistol and water). A light coat of non petroleum ballistol oil is then applied. Make sure to seal the chamber mouths with some kind of non petroleum grease (Crisco, etc.) . Powder Inc. is good for real BP. I prefer round ball. Have fun!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Repawn is right, teardown and hot soapy water is the way to go.
    A better way to go is a hand steam clean. Patch and then lube and wipe down with Eezox
    Regards
    John