Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: "Real" Keith Bullets

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman moulds resemble Duesenberg automobiles......no two alike!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

From the reading I have done on the development of the Keith Mould - there were many versions before Ideal and Keith were done, I never heard of any of the prototypes being destroyed. If IRC Ideal changed Keith's design when it went into production.

There is so much speculation about what transpired and when it happened - I doubt that it will ever truly be sorted out.
    Big Bore = 45+

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Lyman moulds resemble Duesenberg automobiles......no two alike!
    Truth!

There is so much speculation about what transpired and when it happened - I doubt that it will ever truly be sorted out.

Also true! I tried Lyman, and my call seemed to trigger some sort of denial response. I honestly believe that they don't really care that much about their history. That's kind of sad in a way, the company has so much history, they just don't appear to know what it is.

Boolit Master

I can't find that article 45 2.1. Too bad too, as I'd like to read it.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Mold
    So, what happened to Dry Creek??

Quote Originally Posted by Reloder28 View Post
    So, what happened to Dry Creek??
    I'm still here but there comes a time to slow down. I've supplied a nation of shooters with bullets for the past 12 years or so & now I'd like to have more time to shoot some of them myself. I have a man who is casting these bullets & plans to supply a few. I'll PM you & see if we can help. God Bless......Lynn

That was a very enlightening read. Thank you for the good discussions back and forth.

I have tons of questions, but it is because I can't at the moment look at some of the photos that were originally in the thread, but once I start putting molds to the images, they will make more sense.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

I never really said a thank you to all who participated in this thread. So let me do that now. Thanks one & all for the time & effort..........Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post
    That was a very enlightening read. Thank you for the good discussions back and forth.

I have tons of questions, but it is because I can't at the moment look at some of the photos that were originally in the thread, but once I start putting molds to the images, they will make more sense.
    Here's some pictures, hope you enjoy them:

First Mr. Keith. I supplied Cabela's in Boise, ID with this photo which can be found when entering the
    Elmer Keith Museum. I took this with a simple Kodak 110 in 1978 at his home. Some kind soul sent us a post card showing this.

The Lyman 429421 which was our best selling bullet. The molds came from Graf & Sons & are marked 2002.

The Lyman 429421 bullet blueprint

The Lyman 358429. This mold is on loan so I can't remember the year but most likely 2003.

The Lyman 358429 bullet blueprint

The 41-230 Keith from NEI mold 41-220-PB. I turned down a contract with Buffalo Bore for this bullet.

The 45-265 Keith. This bullet is from the Balllisti-Cast #1101 mold. I have a matched set of these from Plaza, ND when Dennis Edwards had the company.

Banned

WOW! fantastic read, thank you gents! Very informative, educational and sometimes entertaining (dickburns) "after boot camp your never the same"
    LAH
    45 2.1
    felix (RIP)
    Beagle
    Lloyd Smale

Time to grab the Ruger 45Colt and tear some stuff up (at 25 yards) haha
    Love the pics LAH they are now in my personal library.

Thanks bearman. I only began the thread, its the others who really made it what it is.

Lynn, did you ever come up with those steel masters? I'm assuming that they would represent a high-mark of Keith design, sanctioned by Keith himself toward the end of a lifetime of development.

I contacted the company said to have them & it was acknowledged they were probably there at one time but the present whereabouts are unknown but were most likely thrown out with an array of other stuff.

Boolit Master
    One thing I never hear mentioned is Keith's designs with the hollow bases. Does anyone have any experience with these. He had versions of both the 38 and the 44 with a plug like for a hollowpoint that gave you a hollowbase. The bullet was cast nose up, so that a plug would work. Mold number was 429422.
    There is also quite a bit from EK about his development of the designs in his earlier book "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads". Pretty amazing, he had most of it worked out in the 1930's.

Boolit Master
    My friend Kent Lomont had a hollow base .44 Keith mold and said it was extremely accurate.

Boolit Man
    Can anyone provide the Handloader issue number for the December, 2013 issue that has the Brian Pearce article on the Keith .44 bullet mould?

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Issue # 287

Boolit Man
    Thanks dkf.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Boolit Buddy
    Can anyone offer an opinion on how the RCBS Keith-type molds stack up as far as being faithful to the original designs and as to whether the bullets work well? Thanks GWW

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast