MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: "Real" Keith Bullets

Boolit Master
    FN, They sure look like they can get the job done don't they?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4952.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	168072

Cast some yesterday with a 1-20 alloy, they came out in typical NOE fashion; round and as advertised.

Sized some today to .430" on my star and they weighed in with lube at 277.5 grs on average. That deep lube groove REALLY sucks up the lube.
    Looking forward to shooting some this weekend if I can find the time, and some good weather.

Don't pick apart my digital. I didn't have my glasses and picked two slugs at random. Wanted to take a few quick shots before the rain started again.

Thanks again NOE.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely nothing to pick apart FN. Those are really nice. If they shoot as good as they look they will be in the "Magic Mold" class.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    Absolutely nothing to pick apart FN. Those are really nice. If they shoot as good as they look they will be in the "Magic Mold" class.
    Funny You should mention MAGIC.

I have a real Love/Hate thing going on with my STAR sizer. It seldom works flawlessly, there always seem to be some issue. Especially when I first convert over to a different die or bullet design.

Today I finished up some .38's before I installed the .430" die and it was TYPICAL "me and the STAR" BS. finally finished up. Dropped in the .430 die. Added some lube and adjusted the stem down where it works to fill the groove on my #429421 slugs.

FIRST slug out was PERFECTLY filled with lube. No lube on the nose, no partially filled groove requiring a 2nd pass through, etc. So maybe Elmer's ghost is residing in my new mold? Or my STAR too scared to NOT work properly with one of his bullets??

FN in MT

Boolit Master
    Know what you mean on the Star. Been using one for 30 years and still occasionally have a blip but for the accuracy and the speed it's tops for me. Well, after all they DO have his signature on the side. Got to meet Elmer a few times and talk on the phone sure wish I could have gone shooting with him. A good friend of mine (now passed) shot with him several time and actually had some home movies taken back in the 60's of Elmer shooting two Smith .44 Magnums doing fast double action tearing up a gallon can.

He and I exchanged a few letters way back in the late 70's over an old Sharps I had. Then drove out to Salmon and met him in 1979.

Ran into him two more times over the next few years at MT gun Shows. He was the real deal for sure.

Boolit Master

Elmer used to make the Kalispell gun show at the Outlaw Inn once in a while
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4952.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	168072

Cast some yesterday with a 1-20 alloy, they came out in typical NOE fashion; round and as advertised.

Sized some today to .430" on my star and they weighed in with lube at 277.5 grs on average. That deep lube groove REALLY sucks up the lube.
    Looking forward to shooting some this weekend if I can find the time, and some good weather.

Don't pick apart my digital. I didn't have my glasses and picked two slugs at random. Wanted to take a few quick shots before the rain started again.

Thanks again NOE.
    Those sure are purdy. I cast some with my brass .434 but got fins on the nose where the vent line was in line with the bullet nose On it's way back to Al for inspection and replacement. I filed the nose on a few and hoping to at least get to try those this weekend.

Can't wait to have all four of them after he runs the 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    Those sure are purdy. I cast some with my brass .434 but got fins on the nose where the vent line was in line with the bullet nose On it's way back to Al for inspection and replacement. I filed the nose on a few and hoping to at least get to try those this weekend.

Can't wait to have all four of them after he runs the 45's.
    Mine fins the tip of the nose too as it is on the vent line. Nasty burs on every cavity I had to remove which didn't help any.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Mine fins the tip of the nose too as it is on the vent line. Nasty burs on every cavity I had to remove which didn't help any.
    Contact Al and he will get you another. He has to make some more 4-cav brass .434 so may be a wait on mine....but I am in no hurry. That huge flat nose will likely be my #1 hog smacker for my 44....or maybe all four of my hunting caliber revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Well the Aluminum .432" 5c is about the smoothest running I've ever had right out of the box. Most Keiths seem to grab the mold but this one did not need a tap to open the mold and boolits release very easily.Good One Al !!!!!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Elmer used to make the Kalispell gun show at the Outlaw Inn once in a while
    Saw him once at the Missoula U of M Fieldhouse show and at Kalispell at the Outlaw Inn. THAT used to be a hell of a show.
    Sad where Shows have gone in MT over the past 20-30 years. Lately we seem to have more garbage than firearms.

Boolit Master
    My NOE 432-277 Aluminum 5 cavity is casting 279 grains and .434" with 95/3/2 Alloy. Had to lower the plunger in the Lyman 4500 as the front band is further forward than anything else I have. I would have liked a little more crimp band but there is a Lot of potential case tension and Elmer knows best.

Even unsized dummy rounds fit the S&W 629 and Redhawk. The Colt has the front band in the throat.

With less case volume and more weight than the #503 I'll start at 17g #9 and 18g 2400. Hope to make some holes next weekend.
    Mal

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone shot these yet how is the accuracy?

Ordered a .412-237 SWC Keith yesterday to along with a 5.5" barreled stainless Ruger Bisley both will be waiting on me next week after I make crewchange.
    A really beautiful mold I haven't cast with Noe's brass molds yet looking forward to it though!

Last edited by Bayouhunter; 05-17-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Dang!! Would of loved to get the 454 dia mold...
    Last edited by lablover; 05-17-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Great, now I have to go order this mold and PISTOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bayouhunter View Post
    Has anyone shot these yet how is the accuracy?

Ordered a .410-237 SWC Keith yesterday to along with a 5.5" barreled stainless Ruger Bisley both will be waiting on me next week after I make crewchange.
    A really beautiful mold I haven't cast with Noe's brass molds yet looking forward to it though!

Boolit Buddy
    My NOE 'Keith' HB's are dropping at 260 grs. & .433", but I had a 9.5 - 10 BHN 20-1 equivalent 17-SOWW+ 2-lino alloy in the RCBS pot at the time. Thinking my Lipsey's Special Ruger .44 Spl. will like them just fine at moderate speeds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Dang!! Would of loved to get the 454 dia mold...
    NOE always makes a few extras, keep an eye on the Online Store and you might get a chance.

THE 454 is on the closed buy list.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    THE 454 is on the closed buy list.
    That was the first run. Email Al at NOE and find out the next run. They have sold all the extras but they will do an inventory run sooner if people ask.
    Mal

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast