Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: "Real" Keith Bullets

Markbo, while I've gotten over his influence and moved on to other calibers I still occasionally read Jack's works again. You must remember Jack was a teacher by trade.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

"........Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go....”

Boolit Grand Master
    The 270 Winchester never moved me much. From birth I was steeped in 30-30 WCF and 30-06 Springfield lore, so while I read Jack O'Connor's many praises of the 270 over the years I wasn't swung to vote his ticket. At all. To this day, I have fired one (1) rifle chambered in this caliber for 5 rounds. Too big for varmints, too small for bears up close. When the critters are shagnasty, I like to burn LOTS of powder and throw LOTS of lead. 250 grains at 2650 FPS from my 9.3mm is nice, as is 286 grains of Partition Persuasion at 2425. Having 5 of those in the magazine instead of the 338's usual 3 on deck adds comfort also. Light calibers = you aren't serious. It's not like light-tackle angling, where it is safe to fight 42" northerns on 5-weight fly rods like NV Curmudgeon and I did with BruceB in 2010. Getting bear-chewed is a poor fashion statement, so HAVE and USE enough gun. Rant concluded.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I think that with todays bullets, especially Premiums ,the .270 Win IS fine for larger game like elk or moose in the hands of a good marksman at reasonable ranges. But especially back in O Connor's early days with standard old cup and core bullets...Not so much.

I read his works as a kid but was far more influenced by Elmer Keith than Mr. O Connor. Never owned a single .270 win in the fifty years I've been a gun guy. When I wanted a light rifle for big game I bought a .280 Rem and after thirty years with the .280 I don't regret my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Markbo, while I've gotten over his influence and moved on to other calibers I still occasionally read Jack's works again. You must remember Jack was a teacher by trade.
    Steve
    So is John Taffin. And he can be a condescending know-it-all prick sometimes. Just like Jack.

Boolit Mold
    Update on the T K molds in .357 and 44... "Paul. Yes I have both the 44 and 357 molds I'm still using them and don't want to part with them but I could get you some bullets from them when I get home . It won't be until the last of Nov or the first part of Dec. I'll let you know when I get back home. Hope everythings going ok. Alls well here. Just sitting on a beach looking at the whale sharks feed and watching the water come ashore." That's some good news. He's out of country but will be back in Salmon as noted. I will holler when he brings the bullets.

PJP,

We should do a group mold buy through NOE or whoever.

I just sent some .41's and .45's to Chuck Gilbert this morning. An interesting side story to his package. Last year I bought a bargain priced FA M-83 in .454 Casull with an aux .45 Colt cylinder. Came with the .45 Colt cylinder in the gun, the Casull cylinder brand new, unfired in the box. I shot the gun , ordered up a taller frt sight blade, etc. FORGOT where I stashed the box. Searching for a small box to send Chuck the bullets yesterday I FOUND the shipping box, with the FA box and the CYLINDER! So my minor good deed of taking the time to send off some bullets...Was repaid in a ton of Karma. Been turning the place upside down for a month trying to find that box and cylinder. LOL.

I'd sure like to see what the .38 slugs look like. I'm assuming a clone or close to the #358429 ?
    I use far more .38's than I do .44's or .45's.

FN in MT

Boolit Mold
    FN That's a great post, and funny because I do the same thing...put something somewhere and danged if I can find it problem. Maybe I should clean things up ? I am still looking for my spare 500 S&W muzzle brake...should be in the box but, I stuck it somewhere and....so it goes. Really glad you found that FA box and cyl...that would drive me nuts ! When Bob (the gentleman with the .35 and 44 molds) get back to Idaho, we should have some molds made. Thinking on molds, but I am out of touch with who might be a good choice to do them...what are your thoughts..I am not familiar with NOE...do you like their molds ? A group buy would save some money for sure... Close to 358429 but not clone...more co-equal bands.. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PJP View Post
    A group buy would save some money for sure... Close to 358429 but not clone...more co-equal bands.. Paul
    Purchased a NEI#146 mold from Walt. This is a very good .358 bullet but the shallow lube groove might offend some.

Edit: It's NEI #147.

PJP,

I'm far from an Expert regarding WHO should do a group buy mold for us, or how to run it. One of the regulars hopefully will chime in on that.

But put me down for a REAL KEITH .38 SWC mold.

I have three NOE molds and I'm happy with all of them. High Quality and they DO cast wonderfully consistent slugs.

Boolit Man
    PJP,

Thanks for the additional information regarding the time frame of the moulds.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Boolit Master
    Another yes vote for NOE molds. I also would like to have one of the 38 keith molds!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Mold
    FN I was surprised in talking to a couple of guys that still are running the NEI Keith molds...both saying they have used them regularly over the years and one gentleman claiming thousands upon thousands of the 357's and still using his heavily.. At this point I wouldn't even consider NEI but I am surprised they have held up well over all the years. Whom ever and however you guys think on mold makers...

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    He opened up one of the doubles a .470 Nitro and it was LOADED. Had a soft and a FMJ in it. I ended up getting both of those cartridges from Mr. Keith. Still have them in my collection.

This past January the auction house that was selling all of his guns had the entire collection at the January Vegas Antique Arms show. So I got to handle them all again. Really depressing to see ALL of Mr. Keith's firearms as well as many personal items out for sale.

Just an aside but I understand that the current owner of Keith's .400 Whelen took another elk with it this fall using some of Keith's own ammo that he reloaded in the late 70's. Apparently, Keith talked Vernon Speer into making up some 350gr soft points and got his old .400 going again. The collection may have been sold but that doesn't mean the guns aren't in good hands.

Boolit Bub
    I have a couple Lyman molds that I believe to be Keith type they are#2660429 and#2660421 both are SWC PB one is .38-170gr and the other is .44-245gr. Got em in a trade along with#2660460 which is just a swc.45acp. I was wanting to part with them for something else I could use. Don't know if the first two are exact Keith type but it's what I was told. Mainly cast for my semi autos don't really need these moulds seem to be in fair shape with the original plastic boxes. When I get back home I'll dig em out to be certain of the #'s will be there around Thursday or so. Had em for about 6 yrs and never used em could make someone a sweet bundle deal or trade send me a pm, won't have cell coverage for a few days as we will be returning to port

Love Life
    I would buy one of these moulds in each caliber available if a group buy were run. Iron moulds preferred, but only a couple companies cutting iron these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I would buy one of these moulds in each caliber available if a group buy were run. Iron moulds preferred, but only a couple companies cutting iron these days.
    Ditto, me too! In a heart beat.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That is great news that molds for the .44 and .357 have been discovered as well.

I am sending the .41s and .45s to Al Nelson at NOE.
    He says that he would very much like to have a chance to make these molds and would like to get samples from all of the molds when available.

I will post any updates and links to the Group Buy when it forms.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    So is John Taffin. And he can be a condescending know-it-all prick sometimes. Just like Jack.
    Just checked to see if you were still a member over on "Single Actions". That comment would get you in trouble big time with the faithful.
    John
    W.TN

I purchased 2 NOE 429421 molds both 4 cavity. These aren't so called Keith bullets as the front driving band isn't wide as the other two.

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Cree...t=3&o=2'll

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast