Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Titanium Nitride dies

Titanium Nitride dies

I have a low bid in on a set of Hornady .380 dies on Ebay that are listed as Titanium Nitride dies on the die box. I'm familiar with carbide dies. Is the Titanium die basically the same as a carbide die, - no lube needed- just a different metal used to make the die? Any pro's, con's or opinions about Carbide vs. Titanium Nitride as a die material?
    Thanx ...........
    Ohio Rusty

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    TN is a coating, the "carbide die" is a carbide insert in a steel die body. Hope this helps some. TN coatings on drill bits and other machine tools reduces wear, allowing longer tool use.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Ah-Ha..

So you're the bidder,Eh?

O'Rusty,

According to Hornady and some other folks more knowledgable than I about TiN vs. tungsten carbide, T'carbide has a 'rougher' surface than TiN when viewed with the aid of a microscope. TiN must have something going for it over T'carbide as applied to machine tool use. TiN applications in machine tool cutting surfaces are said to be cooler and smoother given the lower co-efficient of friction.

Not saying I size brass at the warp speed BruceB casts his projectiles, but I prefer Hornady's pistol dies over other brands for that reason. If you really must know, I like the pretty gold ring too...

As an aside, when I was able to retrieve my dies and other reloading tools late Oct. '05, the Hornady TiN ring survived w\o even a blemish. Of course the carbon steel die body had corroded beyond use. Even Redding's 'S' type Ti carbide coated rings took a beating after two months soaking in the salty, corrosive chemical laced Katrina sludge.

Try them, I think you'll be satisfied

Wt.

Boolit Buddy
    No lube is needed for Hornady titanium dies. I use them in 38/357, 44 mag, and 9mm. I also like the Hornady seating dies better. Almost all of my rifle dies are RCBS except for two that are Hornady. In pistol calibers, I like Hornady.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Seating die..

I like the sleeve thingy too. Another plus for me is the cir-clip retainer that allows easy removal of the innards for clearing the accumulated lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using the Hornady's and giving them a pretty good workout and so far I've had no complaints . .only 5k rounds through them though. FWIW

Have a good one,
    dave

One more vote for Hornady's TiN dies for pistol. They are my favorite.
    Semper Fi

I have a set in .44 mag. possibly my favorite dies
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Man
    CH-4D will completely coat any of their dies with TiN, for the right amount of money. I had a .38-40 sizer die completely coated, not because I did not want to lube every time, but because it seems a waste to lube brand-new cases just to neck size them. It works great.

The TiN ring in Hornady's dies works great, too, as far as I can tell. I own several sets and consider them quite good. I also own RCBS (WC), Lee(WC), Redding (TiC), and have owned and used other brands over the years. Although TiC is measurably better than WC in many parameters, the difference for a reloader is difficult to prove. TiN, which is actually considered a ceramic, can be used to coat many things, including carbide to improve the surface slickness.

Not only that, TiN coated steel rings save a bunch of money and, I suspect, the steel ring is a good deal tougher than a carbide ring.
    B.F.

Yep, I use the Hornady TN dies for .45acp and 9x19. Many thousand rounds and still working fine. The sliding insert seater does seem to work keeping those boolits straight. I bent that little wire retainer on the .45 seater during cleaning, and Hornady sent me three for free! The adjusting screw on the seater could be tighter, moves too easily in mine. Maybe I need a thicker o-ring....
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Buddy
    [PART QUOTE=DanM;220253]The adjusting screw on the seater could be tighter, moves too easily in mine. Maybe I need a thicker o-ring....[/QUOTE]

Dan, nowdays Hornady have a knurled lock-nut + a rubber washer under it, on their seating dies. You can set the amount of tightness yourself.
    Ask them if they would fit your old die...

Man o' man I got stomped on badly at that auction !! I'll keep looking for a good deal or maybe just buy a new set of Lee carbide dies so i don't have to fool with trying to win a bid ....
    Ohio Rusty