Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: forming 25/20 single shot

BTW opening up Lovell R2 brass doesn't give you a good yield unless you anneal first. The necks are thin and will split. The expander mandrel must have a slow taper. The Lee mandrels do it best of any I've tried.

I've got a bag around somewhere with maybe 50-60 .223 cases that have had the initial swage done. Will gladly share a few if someone wants to do the later stages, which only require a small bench lathe. I've got a lifetime supply of both .25-20 and Lovell, and won't ever need these.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

uscra112 Glad to see you showed up on this one. The system you speak of is the one you showed me a couple of years back and works really well. I can only recommended it highly.

A couple of things learned along the way.
    I didn't have 7 m/m Mauser dies but used a set of 7 m/m Mag dies. Its the diameter you want.
    Imperial sizing wax to me at least seemed to work a little better than other lubes I tried.
    On some cases, not all, but a few, I noticed a "tilting" or "pulling ' of the brass that allowed a TIR to enter into the case from the primary forming. Having a set of 25-25 Stevens dies, I ran the primary formed case into the dies several times each time rotating the case a bit.
    TIR was reduced to almost 0 which allowed the case to run true in the following lathe operation.
    The pilot on the headstock end that supports and drives the case for the turning operation I made to locate in the primer pocket with a slight taper for gripping . the light cuts involved never did spin.

Its a good system and will produce all of the 25-20 Single Shot cases anyone could ever want. A good neck anneal after forming and I dont think I have worn out a case since I made up that first batch. Some have been fired 15 and 18 times.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Yikes!
    Swaging the Web/Base down from .223 diameter of .375" to the .26-20SS diameter of .315" in one step is Daunting. No wonder you need a Hydraulic Press.

I wonder if it would be 'more easily done' in a few steps instead of a single step?
    Perhaps .375" to .365" to .355" to .345" to .335" to .325" to .320" to .315" and using a supporting primer pocket 'punch' to keep the primer pocket from reducing along the way?

I know taking .22 Hornet brass from .295" down to .276" in one step is doable with a RCBS "RC" press fitted with a 4" longer than stock handle with two hands and full upper body applied.

However: if I pause in the movement, I get A "Bellows Deformed" case as a result!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master

Well, Charlie, is there room in that basement for a hydraulic press? Assuming you can find the lathe, that is!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Too bad brass cannot be found. Really nice low wall down at the LGS in 25-20SS

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    My greatest regret is that when the legendary BELL Brass was in business they never got around to mass producing the25-20 Basic they had promised. A few hundred rounds of that would have put a guy in good shape for life!

Froggie
    Froggie - Do you mean these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230312_140526_copy_454x379.jpg   20230312_140555_copy_567x662.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Golly gee whiz, If I had those I would massage them into a cf .32XL...

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Golly gee whiz, If I had those I would massage them into a cf .32XL...

Robert
    I'm saving them for a rainy day 😀 I used to make .32XL from .25-20SS. But now I make them from .327 Federal Magnum brass. Much easier to find.

One of us should find a slow-twist 7mm barrel and try recreating Rabbeth's first cut at a small game wildcat. So the story goes, he wasn't pleased with the 7mm bullet; it tore up the game too much, so he created the .25-20. Basic brass needs only a very gentle necking-down to handle a 7mm bullet. I'm saving my little stash of Jamison basic just in case I live long enough.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12