Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Heating Molds on Stove

Boolit Bub

Heating Molds on Stove

I was wondering if heating up a mold on the stove is a good or bad idea. I turned the stove on its lowest setting to where the flame is just barely on set the mold on the grate and it seemed to work. the flame on its lowest setting does not even come close to the mold. Just wondering though if a hot plate would be better. please let me know what you think.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have always preheated my molds on an electric stove (burner). I use the setting 5 which is medium heat (out of 10) for about 20 minutes. I suppose a hot plate would work just as well. Never tried a gas stove, but it should work. I would suggest using a small flame and "working up the time needed"; you don't want to warp the mold (if it is iron). If you get the mold too hot then you'll spot it right away when you go to cast the first one. It'll take long for the sprue to harden and/or you'll get a frosted bullet. Then you'll know that you have to cut back on heat and pre-heat time. In that regard a hot plate would be simpler to work with. LLS

Moderator Emeritus

I would not set the mold on the flame grate of a gas burner but think you would get better results with a burner heating a piece of steel plate or at least an old aluminum pan with the burner between the mold and the plate to even the heat dispersment.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't put it directly on the flame–too much carbon and too little control.
    I just bought a kitchen-aid non-stick stove top griddle for $6 and I use that.

Boolit Master
    An old wore out circular saw blade placed on top of the element serves very well to even out the heat. I would use one on either a gas or coil style element.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    An old wore out circular saw blade placed on top of the element serves very well to even out the heat. I would use one on either a gas or coil style element.
    smart. very smart.