Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: to cut or not is done!

Boolit Master

to cut or not is done!

I thank all of you for your input last week on this project, I lost vision for it but after hearing the various thoughts I found what I needed to finish this gun. I started out wanting to copy a jaeger military carbine and the wood I had was only 6 inches by 1 7/8 by 44 inches. Here it is with the front octagon band and all other stuff done except for metal finishing. I ordered the Laurel mountain browning which I understand I can turn the metal to black. Puffs of white smoke will soon follow. For other novices like me I buy pieces of this and that for next to nothing and try to use what I can. That is how I got the barrel, lock and trigger. Mauser rear sling, butt plate ground to fit and cheap metal strap material for front band. Ordered a brass rod that will become the ram rod. I have very little money in this (the brass rod is most expensive thing ) and I learned a whole lot. Found the book waksupi suggested and now after much reading we go for the sacrilegious flinter!
    nekshotClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	68499
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Tell you what, given how it was done and the materials at hand, I like it! Also, glad to see you kept the "musket" look. Well done

Report back on how it shoots.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Perm-Banned
    you grew up dirt poor like i did,i bet, as you learned to make something out of nothing,. thanks for shareing it with all of us. make it shoot good and keep it clean and it will become a good friend.

Boolit Master
    Here's some "musket" front ends for future reference or ideas in case at some point you want to refine the design. M1861, P53, Rem Zouave M1863, M1841
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

I love that gun. Nice work and original thought and design. I love making things from scrap and discards. Some folk would call my raw materials junk, but I look at them as something with a future life.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Well. I guess there goes the idea of using a bayonet. Kind of reminds me of a canoe rifle. (Much more practical no doubt.) Have a question? I know rifles and shotguns barrels have to be 16" in length. Does that Law apply to muzzle loaders too.?
    Last edited by OverMax; 04-27-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: speling

I like it. It appears to be a neat, little, minimalist rifle. Way to go.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Mold
    I like it ! A tip on the Laurel Mountain browning solution. After preparing the metal rub the solution on with a long wipe one time only. If you rub it several times it will turn a copper color, I know from experience.

Boolit Master
    thanks for the pic's of the bands. After reading the "Gunsmith of Grenville county" I have to admit that intricate work is over my head (maybe 30 years ago I could have). The consequences of the back injuries have really deteriated my ability to do fine work. However I have found I love the military musket thing and now am trying to make a jig to form front bands and that brass sheet metal work. The Laurel Mountain solution is a awesome product.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.