Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to "Standard" Pistol Powders

Thanks for the info. In a 28 mph wind, I wouldn't expect much at 100 yds. Stubby little handgun type bullets at their typical velocities are profoundly affected by winds of the speed you mention.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Thanks for the info. In a 28 mph wind, I wouldn't expect much at 100 yds. Stubby little handgun type bullets at their typical velocities are profoundly affected by winds of the speed you mention.
    Yeppers, hence the reason were so pleased as the accuracy was sooo much better than the "Factory" ammo used which is very hard to find.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have to agree that Green Dot works for 9mm and cast.
    I have been using Green Dot recently in my 9mm under a Lee 120 tc with outstanding results. I purchased it when I couldn't find anything else.
    I found an older Alliant load manual that listed almost all Alliant powders for pistol use and used that data. Worked like a charm.
    Interesting as all reports I read were zip on the faster Alliant powders for pistols. Had to rely on web user posts.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks to tazman here is link to the page with free referenced in a previous post Alliant Blue dot pistol load data from 2001 and several others. Old link was bad as file was moved due to site reorg:
    http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html
    Using Tapatalk

We landed two lbs of Alliant Clays which is a bit slower (and is a reduced recoil blend) than e3 so will be working up loads soon in Clays. Will post our cast plated results first as still waiting on a backordered casting Rowell #1 ladel to cast our own.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Outstanding experiment and test results. I look forward to your follow ups!

Thanks,

Tristan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the accurate version of 1,000 is not recommended for anything but shot shells.
    I downloaded an accurate manual and it was full of solo 1000 load data. They had a keg of it at the reloading place, for cheap since it was the older scot version. Only reason I bought it was he showed me in a book load data for various pistols.

I have been finding all sorts of uses for it. Use it like unique in subsonic 45-70 and 30-30 loads. Loaded some cast 38 spcl other day with it. And some 9mm not long ago. Still gonna take me a while to use up 8 lbs of it.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting very good thread.

I scored 4lbs of PB when it became clear the powder shortage was upon us. Works great within a narrow loading range in 9MM and 39spl loads I run. Unfortunately it is one of the IMR powders being cancelled we are told. It burns cleaner than 231/Unique and Universal Clays. PB is not quite as clean as Clays in my 38spl but close. I intend to try some 700X if and when the powder shortage rights itself. Right now I have enough powder to do me until ate spring of next year then I may be doing more dry firing then shooting.

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I just saw this today. Apparently, it's made in Spain:

http://www.americanreloading.com/en/...n-powder-.html

Arclight

Boolit Master
    I have had great luck with PB in .45 auto rim very accurate. also imr 7625 in .44 spl.

Boolit Buddy
    I've worked up some good 9mm and .40S&W plinking loads with Winchester Super Handicap. There is no pistol data at all for that powder. When I asked about it on several forums I found a person who said it was similar to Green Dot, and another person who I suspect was the same guy who swore it wasn't worth my time to even bother with the powder since according to him it was no longer to be sold to reloaders as of 2013 (when I first bought it). I just bought another pound of it a few weeks ago, a fresh batch from Cabela's (they still have plenty on the shelf as of yesterday too, right along side Unique and Power Pistol now that the shortage has let up a bit), so it seems that they do still sell it.

I find 3.5gr makes a great low recoil load and 4.0gr makes a good standard load with 124 and 175gr bullets in those cartridges and they cycle my pistols and carbines and I don't plan to experiment any further. I just bought my first chronograph so when I get around to it I will try to remember to post some velocity numbers though. I will likely continue to use it because it does burn very clean which is great in my blowback carbines.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh and I had been consistently seeing 800X for the past few years so I've been using that as an alternate to Unique in reduced rifle loads. Works great, despite the charges varying by up to half a grain through my measure. Still gives me a 2" group at 50yd out of my .30-30, even with the charge variation. I've got the measure set to 8.7gr (charges dropped are all within 8.5 to 9 gr).

Have you folks seen any sign the powder shortage is letting up? We have seen small amounts of powder show up then nothing again.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    The local Cabela's has had an entire aisle of powder for about four months. Started trickling in then all the rifle powder was restocked, now they're nearly fully restocked on pistol powder too. All the common stuff is restocked. They even have a whole section of .22lr. Almost back to normal just in time for another damn election.

Well maybe there is hope some of it will get sent north, yet. Even IMR powders made in Montreal are nowhere to be found.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Well maybe there is hope some of it will get sent north, yet. Even IMR powders made in Montreal are nowhere to be found.

Take Care

Bob
    Everyone has IMR in stock including the online retailers. Alliant powders come in waves. I was able to pick up Green Dot and 2400 in one such wave a few months back. One came on over the weekend and I was able to pickup Bullseye and I left the Unique on the shelf. Most rifle powders are in stock. But Hodgdon pistol powders are nonexistent. A few pounds shows up from time to time but that's it. The reformulation isn't helping this any.

Would that include 700X. This may be a sleeper in all of this. I have about 3lbs of PB left but IMR is not going to be making it anymore. I may have to pick up some when I am in WA later next month. We shall see.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    I got some Longshot recently to use in place of 2400 because I couldn't find any. The info I read various places on the web showed it had a very similar burn rate as 2400 with similar amounts. I've only used it in my 303 British to launch 224g boolits but it worked pretty good for that. Will try it in my 44 mag eventually.
    Hodgdon's Longshot CANNOT be substituted grain for grain with 2400.

Not ment to be loading recommendations, but as examples only

.357 Mag Example -- Hodgdon lists 8.4gr of Longshot as max load with 158gr Horn XTP
    -- Alliant lists 14.8gr of A2400 with 158gr GDHP

10mm Auto -- Hodgdon lists 9.5gr with 180gr Sierra JHC
    -- Alliant lists 12.8gr A2400 as max with 180gr GDHP

.44 Magnum -- Hodgdon lists 12.1gr with 240gr Nosler JHP
    -- Alliant lists 21.0gr A2400 as max with 240gr GDHP

Hodgdon's online data has Longshot loading data http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Sorry, a bit late to the party.

Paul

Boolit Buddy

I've had good luck with Herco in my 45 Colt. Easier to find than some other powders.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast