WidenersRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alternatives to "Standard" Pistol Powders

Banned

Robert green-dot is PB's arch nemesis.

this is a good info, I have a 4 pound can of 700x that I use for 45acp and 38spl, 44spl but did not work well for me in 9mm. I think we are about thru the powder shortage in the last month iv found h110, IMR4228, hs6, aa9, 2400. I SURE HOPE THIS END SOON.

Quote Originally Posted by betschet50 View Post
    this is a good info, I have a 4 pound can of 700x that I use for 45acp and 38spl, 44spl but did not work well for me in 9mm. I think we are about thru the powder shortage in the last month iv found h110, IMR4228, hs6, aa9, 2400. I SURE HOPE THIS END SOON.
    Try 3.4 gr of 700X under a 124/125 gr lead bullet. Worked well for me and runs 130ish PF through ny M&P Pro (1090 fps avg).

Take Care

Bob
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Je suis Charlie

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I'm resurrecting this old thread to share some information on .44 special handloads using E3. I had bought a pound of E3 back in early 2014 when I first began casting and handloading. It was the only powder on the shelf! I used some of it for .38 special target loads, but have only recently developed a good load that shoots 240 (Saeco 429 RNFP) and 250 (RCBS 44-250 K) grain bullets accurately from my Ruger Blackhawk and Charter Arms Bulldog. I loaded these over 4.5 grains of E3 and found them to be excellent shooters in the guns I mentioned. I don't have a chrony, but based upon 35 Whelen's numbers from page 1, these would be close mimics of the original factory loadings (between 750 and 760 FPS).

I'm going to try some loads at 4.8 grains to see how they work. If they don't, no sweat. The 4.5 grain load will allow me to put the powder to good use.
    Last edited by Thomas Traddles; 10-15-2016 at 06:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Traddles View Post
    I'm resurrecting this old thread to share some information on .44 special handloads using E3. I had bought a pound of E3 back in early 2014 when I first began casting and handloading. It was the only powder on the shelf! I used some of it for .38 special target loads, but have only recently developed a good load that shoots 240 (Saeco 429 RNFP) and 250 (RCBS 44-250 K) grain bullets accurately from my Ruger Blackhawk and Charter Arms Bulldog. I loaded these over 4.5 grains of E3 and found them to be excellent shooters in the guns I mentioned. I don't have a chrony, but based upon 35 Whelen's numbers from page 1, these would be close mimics of the original factory loadings (between 750 and 760 FPS).

I'm going to try some loads at 4.8 grains to see how they work. If they don't, no sweat. The 4.5 grain load will allow me to put the powder to good use.
    Hoping I can re resurrect this old thread (again) - cleaning out my dads shed - there is a good quantity of winchester WST powder, plenty of Red dot, Some Italian GM3 black dot, --- maybe someone has used that WST in pistol or light loads for small rifle cases ? the online burn rate charts seem a little confused in the placement of WST - some have it right with red dot, others place it slower - the GM3. (later became nobelsport I think - cant find any load info for that - am thinking its a slower powder like green dot maybe?) any help here would be appreciated .
    Joe

I have wanted to use some "Trail Boss" in some 45LC 44 special and 44 mag, my local reloading supply does not carry it ....yet.
    Also wonder if it would work in some Brass 410 loads I use? been using unique in these 4 cartridges and it burs pretty dirty.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    I have wanted to use some "Trail Boss" in some 45LC 44 special and 44 mag, my local reloading supply does not carry it ....yet.
    Also wonder if it would work in some Brass 410 loads I use? been using unique in these 4 cartridges and it burs pretty dirty.
    Ron
    Ahhh well Ron looks like my attempt to ressurect didnt work - we may need sa new thread to get their interest.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345