WidenersRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: Alternatives to "Standard" Pistol Powders

  1. #81
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    soda springs Id.
    Posts
    28,097
    Robert green-dot is PB's arch nemesis.

  2. #82
    this is a good info, I have a 4 pound can of 700x that I use for 45acp and 38spl, 44spl but did not work well for me in 9mm. I think we are about thru the powder shortage in the last month iv found h110, IMR4228, hs6, aa9, 2400. I SURE HOPE THIS END SOON.

  3. #83
    Boolit Master robertbank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Terrace, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,714
    Quote Originally Posted by betschet50 View Post
    this is a good info, I have a 4 pound can of 700x that I use for 45acp and 38spl, 44spl but did not work well for me in 9mm. I think we are about thru the powder shortage in the last month iv found h110, IMR4228, hs6, aa9, 2400. I SURE HOPE THIS END SOON.
    Try 3.4 gr of 700X under a 124/125 gr lead bullet. Worked well for me and runs 130ish PF through ny M&P Pro (1090 fps avg).

    Take Care

    Bob
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000]Je suis Charlie

    "If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

  4. #84
    I'm resurrecting this old thread to share some information on .44 special handloads using E3. I had bought a pound of E3 back in early 2014 when I first began casting and handloading. It was the only powder on the shelf! I used some of it for .38 special target loads, but have only recently developed a good load that shoots 240 (Saeco 429 RNFP) and 250 (RCBS 44-250 K) grain bullets accurately from my Ruger Blackhawk and Charter Arms Bulldog. I loaded these over 4.5 grains of E3 and found them to be excellent shooters in the guns I mentioned. I don't have a chrony, but based upon 35 Whelen's numbers from page 1, these would be close mimics of the original factory loadings (between 750 and 760 FPS).

    I'm going to try some loads at 4.8 grains to see how they work. If they don't, no sweat. The 4.5 grain load will allow me to put the powder to good use.
    Last edited by Thomas Traddles; 10-15-2016 at 06:12 AM.

  5. #85
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Traddles View Post
    I'm resurrecting this old thread to share some information on .44 special handloads using E3. I had bought a pound of E3 back in early 2014 when I first began casting and handloading. It was the only powder on the shelf! I used some of it for .38 special target loads, but have only recently developed a good load that shoots 240 (Saeco 429 RNFP) and 250 (RCBS 44-250 K) grain bullets accurately from my Ruger Blackhawk and Charter Arms Bulldog. I loaded these over 4.5 grains of E3 and found them to be excellent shooters in the guns I mentioned. I don't have a chrony, but based upon 35 Whelen's numbers from page 1, these would be close mimics of the original factory loadings (between 750 and 760 FPS).

    I'm going to try some loads at 4.8 grains to see how they work. If they don't, no sweat. The 4.5 grain load will allow me to put the powder to good use.
    Hoping I can re resurrect this old thread (again) - cleaning out my dads shed - there is a good quantity of winchester WST powder, plenty of Red dot, Some Italian GM3 black dot, --- maybe someone has used that WST in pistol or light loads for small rifle cases ? the online burn rate charts seem a little confused in the placement of WST - some have it right with red dot, others place it slower - the GM3. (later became nobelsport I think - cant find any load info for that - am thinking its a slower powder like green dot maybe?) any help here would be appreciated .
    Joe

  6. #86
    Boolit Bub ronniet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma & Texas
    Posts
    30
    I have wanted to use some "Trail Boss" in some 45LC 44 special and 44 mag, my local reloading supply does not carry it ....yet.
    Also wonder if it would work in some Brass 410 loads I use? been using unique in these 4 cartridges and it burs pretty dirty.
    Ron

  7. #87
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    I have wanted to use some "Trail Boss" in some 45LC 44 special and 44 mag, my local reloading supply does not carry it ....yet.
    Also wonder if it would work in some Brass 410 loads I use? been using unique in these 4 cartridges and it burs pretty dirty.
    Ron
    Ahhh well Ron looks like my attempt to ressurect didnt work - we may need sa new thread to get their interest.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check