RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this paraffin too gross?

Boolit Master

Is this paraffin too gross?

Okay, so I work in a histology lab, and like many of you I am always looking for ways to reduce waste and use things.

One of the things that is done in a histology lab is embedding tissue in paraffin to allow it to be cut thin enough to put on a slide for microscopic viewing.

This creates waste paraffin that is leftover from prepping the tissue. Basically tissue samples have been inside but are removed from this paraffin while it was molten. It visually looks clean

Anyway, I could have all the paraffin I could ever need for fluxing or maybe bullet lube (if I found a recipe) if I were to take the waste from the processing machines, but I wonder if you guys think that is too gross.

I have mixed feelings about whether this is a weird thing to do or not.

Boolit Grand Master
    As someone who works in a hospital, I would not bring ANYTHING home that could possibly have had contact with blood, tissue or other body fluids. Histology lab, pathology lab, or from the O.R. Don't take the chance of bringing home some pathogen you don't know about.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like hazardous waste to me

Boolit Master

Sometimes free things are not worth it. If you wanted to use paraffin its cheap enough. I have used it as a flux and it was very messy, and I haven't heard much good about it in lubes but have never tried myself.

Boolit Master
    Oh, this tissue has all been fixed with formalin before any of this happens. Formalin is an incredibly potent antiviral, anti fungal, and antibacterial agent, so it's pretty well neutralized at this point. Pathogens don't survive that.

Gotta agree, paraffin is cheap and despite the fact that we humans think we're the superior beings, the real masters of this earth are microbes. Anyone care for a little SV40? Someone can take some of mine to flux with. Well, don't wanna be too cryptic, fact is from 55-63 our polio vaccines were contaminated with a cancer causing monkey virus. Glad I live in the headwaters of the US! The polio viruses or mycoplasma might be a better term, used to make the vaccines were killed with formalin too, but obviously something lived through it.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Formalin isn't something I want in a lube or a flux.

Pass

i would use it but i would heat it up to 180 degrees for @ 5 minutes or near the smoke level .. in my smelter then strain it if needed through a worn out t shirt or a finly woven cloth , then i think it would be safe ...
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Not that I think it's gross but I wouldn't remove anything from a lab setting such as that.

Boolit Buddy
    Meh, unless you feel ok about rubbing some in your loved ones eye I wouldnt do it.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

The heck with gross. Is it even legal to remove a possible bio-hazard? I'd think about that, and then still probably not use it. Parafin is too cheap and readily available to recycle something like that.

Boolit Master

If you are that broke, and cannot afford any paraffin, I will send you some or a candle. If you want to flux your melt, use sawdust, most of us do, and it is the best for doing so. It's free.
    Regards
    Jack

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    Not that I think it's gross but I wouldn't remove anything from a lab setting such as that.
    Yea, me too. The heat and fire will kill the critters, but.......it is the sitting there till then I wouldn't like!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I am a real yankee cheapskate and always look for ways to avoid throwing anything I can possibly use out so I commend you for seeing the paraffin and saying "wait a minute". However, I have worked in several labs and it was always standard protocal to destroy anything that contacted human parts for testing. I'm surprised they would agree to let you take it after use. I agree its safe but I wouldnt do it considering the price of paraffin.

Boolit Master

Here we are all playing with toxic heavy metals for a hobby and getting freaked out by a few dead meat bits.

I don't know the toxic issues associated with formalin, or how the formalin might be infused with the paraffin. Sort those issues out and those of proper (i.e. legal) disposal to your satisfaction. I understand that disposal of medical waste involves burning, which is exactly what you intend to do, and in a fashion that actually produces a useful end product. If there's no hurdles, I say go for it.

The Fight Club aspect of this amuses me greatly. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

As a former Health & Safety Director at a university, I would definately classify it as hazardous waste!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned
    Provided you heated it and strained it, as was mentioned, I would not have any problems using it. Mine is heated when I melt the three ingredients to make my lube. It is heated again when I melt it in the the soup cans to pour into the lubrisizer.
    I would hate to live next door to an "environmentalist". They would would make a casters life hell. "You're "smelting" what? "You have how many pounds of lead in your garage?" "You know the wind is blowing that at my house?" Etc,etc,etc.

Dude, paraffin wax is only $2.99-3.99 a pound in the canning section. Tea candles can be had from a dollar store in bags.
    Yes I can buy it, but great pride can be taken when I make it myself!

Boolit Grand Master

Some things may be worth salvaging, but something as easy to get and as cheap as paraffin, nope. When you go to the grocery store to get T.P. and beer, stop by the canning section and pick up a lb. of paraffin...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Sounds like hazardous waste to me
    Thats how the hospital treats it here!! Goes in a red Biohazard bag.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast