WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: What To Do? Green Dot or American Select or nothing?

Boolit Grand Master

What To Do? Green Dot or American Select or nothing?

I walked into a sports store yesterday and was confronted with a delema. The shelves were full of 8lb kegs of both Green Dot and Select and a few Clays. I've never tried any of them so was stumped. I am currently shooting a few 9mm and 44mag rounds but majority 45ACP and 357/38SP. I am also looking at a 45lc.
    So, should I buy one or the other or stick with the promo, 2400, h110 and bullseye?
    BTW: the price for all was in the $130 range.

Not for max loads, but have heard very good things about both Green Dot and American Select. Especially that Am. Select runs good with both jacketed bullets and cast.

Boolit Master
    I used American Select in my .44-40 pistol and found it as powerful a load as Unique and much cleaner burning.

You can cobble a pistol load together from most of the shotgun powders available. Look at Propellant Profiles or check the on-line data from the powder companies.

Boolit Grand Master

This will be for low to mid range target stuff. My max loads use bullseye or h110 max for me not necessarily max printed.

Boolit Buddy

I like the Green dot in 9mm with 128gr ish cast. About 4 grains works well in both CZ 75 and S&W shield. Use a manual to confirm all load data.

Banned

I would have bought one of them.
    universal clays would have been my first pick.
    I have a lot of loads already with regular clays but you have bulls-eye so no gain there.
    red-dot or green-dot would have been next, or the am select for in between them.

Green dot is my go-to powder for 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Love it!....and since it's my trap loads powder, i always have 8 or more lbs on hand.
    do unto others................

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robpete View Post
    Green dot is my go-to powder for 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Love it!....and since it's my trap loads powder, i always have 8 or more lbs on hand.

I should have phrased the question differently. Of.the men and women on castboolits that have worked with both green dot and american select, which do you prefer for overall pistol reloading?
    Last edited by jonp; 04-12-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    I got a 8ibs jug of Am. Select I got on clearance at Slander Mtn 2-3 years ago I haven't even used. Maybe it is time to start thinking about using it. I figured for 60.00 I better snatch it.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are a few guys here who have played with a lot of powders and have preferences.

There are more guys here who have done limited testing but have preferences.

There are a few guys who have done almost no testing and KNOW their powder choice is the best! LOL

Your problem is to figure out who is giving you advice and are they shooting mouse phart, mid range or near max loads. It is best to read the load data and see which powders do the job you wish in your applications. Another resource is to look at what competitive shooters (or if max loads are needed - hunters) are using. Most of these guys are willing to share their data and, more importantly, tell you WHY they use a particular powder/bullet.

Just because a powder can be used does not make the best choice. For example, I have not seen a lot of loads for Green Dot in pistols. It may be most reloaders do not realize how good it is (unlikely) or that there are better choices. I have GD and never even consider it as a pistol powder but I have other proven powders so never tried it.

If you decide something like GD is worth a shot (no pun intended) buying 8lbs would be a poor decision unless you can use it up loading shotshells. What if you do not like it?!
    Last edited by dverna; 04-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I get your point, dverna. I have several shotguns but have never reloaded for them so I guess it would force.me to get a MEC.and start. I hate it when that happens. On the other hand, I have no problem working through the powder if it is acceptable for even one caliber but my clear preference is for general use powder not a dedicated one which is why I changed my question to see if one or the other drew different and more calibers than the other.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Jonp, get the Green dot;
    I have used it like Unique also and love it in 45ACP and rifle loads. I at one time started with ten pounds; I have deeded 4 pounds to new shooters and they have not bought other powders.
    Have AS for shotguns only, so no info for you on that for pistolen.
    Green dot in: 38 Spec.,45 Colt, 44 Mag and Special, 41 Mag. 30-30, 30-06, 7 Maus., 8 Maus., 308, 12 Gauge and 9Mak.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The "load" can be found with any powder, within reason, or course. But the trouble of finding that load might not be worth it according to the personality of the loader. NO well kept POWDER will go to waste in a person's lifetime, most especially if it is of the double based type. If the price is right, buy it all. ... felix

Yes, yes, pay attention to Rocky's statement below. The longer you are an avid reloader, sooner or later THE powder of choice for an application will show up. But, you have to be an experimenter at heart to make a large inventory of powder pay off. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 04-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    felix

As I've reported before, when I tested 12 powders and six bullets in two .44 Special guns, I found ONE load that worked extremely well with ALL bullets: 6.0 AmSel. That's with swaged, cast, plated, and jacketed bullets from 180 through 240 grains. It's now my only .44 Special load.

I've shot Green Dot in 38spl, 44mag, 45auto.
    Shot good in all, but my best shooting 45 auto load was Green Dot.

I think your best bet is to send an Email to Alliant Powders and ask them. I did when I had a question about using American Select for .45acp. I received a prompt reply from Ben A. Click on the "Ask the Experts" link on the Reloaders Guide page of their website.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

I've used Green Dot in .44 mag. w/240 gr. Keith-style SWC for years. An 8.0 gr. charge will give me just over 1000 f.p.s. The reference is from a Hercules Reloaders' Guide, revised Feb., 1987. They give 9.9 gr. max. for 34,400 cup. It is a mild, accurate load.

I also use 5.0 gr. Green Dot behind a 210 gr. SWC in .45 ACP, producing a mild-shooting, accurate load that produces about 795 f.p.s. in my Officers' Model.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    I think your best bet is to send an Email to Alliant Powders and ask them. I did when I had a question about using American Select for .45acp. I received a prompt reply from Ben A. Click on the "Ask the Experts" link on the Reloaders Guide page of their website.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
    I did that when I had a question about swapping Promo for Red Dot on an equal weight basis and couldn't find any info on that. I got an answer the next day which was impressive. Wow, customer service. What a concept! I am looking for real world testing results which is why I asked here first. I have several books at home but sent this question from the road so had no reference to work from.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The "load" can be found with any powder, within reason, or course. But the trouble of finding that load might not be worth it according to the personality of the loader. NO well kept POWDER will go to waste in a person's lifetime, most especially if it is of the double based type. If the price is right, buy it all. ... felix

Yes, yes, pay attention to Rocky's statement below. The longer you are an avid reloader, sooner or later THE powder of choice for an application will show up. But, you have to be an experimenter at heart to make a large inventory of powder pay off. ... felix
    I like to use the most specific powder for the best results I can but with the current shortage I am more interested at this point in something that yields results in a few different calibers like Unique or Red Dot. I have a bunch of powder now and am running out of storage space so am thinking of reducing down to just a few types on hand.
    Seems like Green Dot is getting the most love on this question so I might try it.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is much more data available for Green Dot than American select. I prefer not having to re-invent the wheel. I've used it in 9mm and 45 ACP loads, especially the later. 5.2 grains of Green Dot under a 452-460 or an H&G 68 clone is good medicine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.