Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 223 load tests

Boolit Master

223 load tests

First off forgive me as I'm new to the whole picture posting stuff.

I set about trying to get decent cast loads for my xp100 pistol. With the help of Jim and referencing data from his graphalox shooting, I settled on Red Dot powder. All shooting was done at 50yds and shot over my chrony set 8ft in front of bench.

This pic is during my initial testing a week or so ago, the 8gr load showed definate promise although I did shoot 1 into the wrong target.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130321_0002.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	67048

I went back to the range today with more test loads, and also a test of water dropped or air cooled. These are my results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130410_0001.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	67049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130410_0002.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	67050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130410_0003.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	67051

These are NOE nato 60gr, gas checked, 3part BAC 1part Cred, and alloy is 75%coww 25% soft lead with a touch of tin.

My next goal is to see how it holds at longer range, and see if if knocks down steel.

Thanks again Jim and others who have helped in this quest.
    Last edited by **oneshot**; 04-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Grand Master
    That water dropped over 8 grains don't look too shabby!

Boolit Buddy
    Can you tell us the grains of bullet, if gas checks, alloy type. Your grouping looks good.

Boolit Master

Sorry about that, these are NOE nato 60gr, gas checked, 3part BAC 1part Cred, and alloy is 75%coww 25% soft lead with a touch of tin.

Boolit Master
    Some fine shootin by all standards.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Thank you, I've got the next batch ready to go. just waiting on the weather now. Spring rain is much needed, but really hampers load testing. lol

Boolit Master

The final test was a winner. The 7.8gr load (water dropped) showed the most consistant with various temps and shooting like I shoot in IHMSA, ( 5 shots, reset targets, 5shots, etc ).
    Well, yesterday was the first match that I was prepared for(Last month I brought the wrong box of ammo). Aside from some sight setting adjustments that needed to be made at each bank of targets, the boolits were a success and held true. I scored 30 out of 40 making sight changes on the fly. I shot the shootoffs for Bigbore as they were already there and are just a little bigger than half size rams. I hit 9 of ten but spun 3 that didn't fall off the rail.

A Big thanks to Jim and others that helped me get to this point. It was such a thrill to watch the first ram fall over with ease, and know that all the work paid off.

Tom

That's some good shootn , was you shooting Half Size or BB
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

I shot half size, except the shootoffs were for Bigbore.

That's a good score , been thinking about cast in my 223 for half size. I went to NOE's site that a nice looking boolit your shooting . I've noticed in the IHMSA News you see a lot more CB's by peoples score's .I think I tried my 7-30 with cast on 1/2 scale a couple of times the best I come up with was a 24.When I get this 7-08 striker dialed in better ,I'll have a go at the 1/2 size. I did a 35 with it first time out on BB with cast. I need more practice with that one , the loads ( 2 load system ) are right on and good for a 40 if I hold up my end. Good luck Tim
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by **oneshot** View Post
    Sorry about that, these are NOE nato 60gr, gas checked, 3part BAC 1part Cred, and alloy is 75%coww 25% soft lead with a touch of tin.
    Forgive me, I'm a newb to casting but clear up the acronyms for me please. What is "Cred" & "coww"? Also, if I am reading this correctly, you loaded the .223 60 gr bullets backed with only 8 grains of Red Dot? That seems like almost nothing in the casing. Of course, I'm used to using 23.6 gr of TAC on my 55 gr FMJ's. Would these loads you are cooking up have enough juice to cycle the bolt on an AR platform? Thanks!
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDownPro View Post
    Forgive me, I'm a newb to casting but clear up the acronyms for me please. What is "Cred" & "coww"? Also, if I am reading this correctly, you loaded the .223 60 gr bullets backed with only 8 grains of Red Dot? That seems like almost nothing in the casing. Of course, I'm used to using 23.6 gr of TAC on my 55 gr FMJ's. Would these loads you are cooking up have enough juice to cycle the bolt on an AR platform? Thanks!
    Tango, 'coww' stands for clip-on wheel weights. Cred is a lube, but at the moment, the 'Cred' escapes me. All I can tell you is it's a type of lube. Somebody will come in shortly to help me out.

No, these light loads will not cycle a semi auto action.

If you're interested in subsonic loads, take a stroll over to my site and take a look at

CAST ‘BOOLITS’ IN H&R .223 ,

CAST ‘BOOLITS’ IN SAVAGE AXIS .223 &

DEVELOPING SUBSONIC LOADS FOR CENTERFIRE RIFLES .

Compared to most of the guys around here, what I know wouldn't fill a thimble. Every now an' then, though, even a blind hog finds an acorn!

Boolit Master

Cred is Canuba red, and BAC is another lube. I get mine from White Label lubes on this site. I don't know if these loads will cycle an AR.