MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: A Facefull of Lead

Boolit Buddy

A Facefull of Lead

I've been getting lazy and have of late, been adding range scrap to the already hot lead in the pot. I have a cover that I used to put on faithfully after adding more scrap, but also of late, I have neglecting it's use.

About a half hour ago there was a BIG pop. My glasses were full of lead and I could feel all the spots on my face starting to sting. I have a half dozen or so good sized blisters on my face and neck, but am otherwise unscathed. Thank goodness for my failing eyesight and the need to always wear my glasses.

Now to explain to wife when she gets home, why I look like I was bobbing for french fries.

Boolit Buddy

Safety glasses are a must when casting. Glad to hear that you are otherwise not hurt.

Every time I think about LASIK or contacts I just take my glasses off and look at the scratches on the lenses.
    I'm glad you were wearing yours.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have smelted tons of range lead no matter how dry you think it is there is always some water trapped somewhere. As soon as you let your guard down is when it will get you. I was also adding to the pot but after getting to many pops so to speak its just not worth the risk for me. Glad to hear your no worse for wear.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    I always wear an inexpensive face shield. about $14 from Harbor Freight. Luckily, no visit from the Tinsel Fairy. Good that you had protection..........

Boolit Master

Good reminder of safety first!

Glad to hear your o-k!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    I've had live rounds go off too. One of them was a close call but I had a wind shield up so it caught most of it.
    If you have Silvadene Cream, it's your friend right now.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Perma-Banned

I started wearing a full face shield, cap and leather welding coat I have had a pot pop once and that was enough for me.

Boolit Master
    I was very stupid a year ago and had the top inch blow off in my lead pot. Coated my safety glass with lead mist, lead spot also stuck to the ceiling, lead dots all over my long sleeve shirt. Boy was I lucky. I also had a primer go off once, no glasses on. I was lucky the blast was against my leg and I had jeans on. Now I always wear googles when using Federal primers.

Boolit Master
    I have found, dealing with isotope lead that is often painted, that it isn't always visible water that causes issues. The little blue xenon vials will pop like crazy even if you pre-heat them on the edge of the pot.

Boolit Master

Narrow escape. Glad you only got some blisters. Hope you're a good salesman when telling the wifey. Like somebody said "always when we think we're not going to have an issue" BAM !!
    Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Long sleeve cotton shirt/pants. 3$ full face shield welding gloves. Protecting yerself is yer first task. Glad to hear you didn't lose yer eyes. I melt 60 lbs or less. Let the pot cool melt more. Never had issue.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by '74 sharps View Post
    I always wear an inexpensive face shield. about $14 from Harbor Freight. Luckily, no visit from the Tinsel Fairy. Good that you had protection..........
    I picked one of those up when I went in to buy a welder's apron, though my HF had the shield on sale for $4.99. I'm planning my first smelt this weekend and my PPE includes face shield, leather apron, gloves, arm chaps, and boots.

OP, glad you're OK!

Boolit Master
    Another vote for a full face shield. Got one and use it myself... because eyeballs don't grow back.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    THank GOD, you are ok!
    And let us all learn from it.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

Face shield always when smelting or casting.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Buddy
    Protective equipment is a must. Molten lead is very unforgiving. Glad you escaped with only minimal injury.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Boolit Master

i had a pot "pop" once from adding lead I was sure was dry, it was not. luckily I had just stepped away just a little melted range gold on the arm. glad you are alright. thanks for posting this it is a good reminder.

Boolit Master
    Glad you are kinda OK. The burns aren't to be trifled with. Protection from tinsel fairy, sunburn and heat is always good. After a lifetime outside, soon enough you'll be going to the dermatologist for yearly skin checkups. I have appointment Monday in fact. Now he's freezing or cutting some kinda stuff off every visit. Melanoma is not to be trifled with and skin damage is where it starts. Stay safe,

10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Normally I smelt anything I have handy. The other day I decided to clean a batch of range ore which was dirty so I put it into my dump bed trailer to wash the ****/dirt off of it. I spread it out on the floor of the trailer and proceeded to wash it. With the trailer inclined, and the ore in the upper part, I was able to wash the dirt and have the water flow take the dirt downhill. Seemed to work well. After I did the thousand pounds I had, I spread it out on the floor of the trailer and inclined the bed to let the water drain downhill. Next day it was dry so I collected some of it and put it into my smelter. So far, so good.
    I did a couple hundred pounds of ingots.
    Went to bed.
    During the night it rained and I didn't realize it. Next day I started up where I had left off. The trailer floor was dry so I didn't give it any thought.
    I brought in a bucket full and put it in the smelter and lit the fire. All good so far.
    Poured several ingots and dumped some ore into the pot. I use a kitty litter scooper so the ore doesn't drop directly into the melt. Nothing different this time. WAIT ! There WAS one thing different - when I lowered the ore into the melt, it started bubbling/BOILING/EXPLODING all over the freakin place !
    Fortunately, I ALWAYS wear safety glasses so the TINSEL FAIRY wasn't able to CLAW OUT MY EYES !
    I'd heard that saying about smelting - there are 2 types of smelters - those who have met the tinsel fairy and those who WILL meet the tinsel fairy !
    Well, I MET THE TINSEL FAIRY !
    Lots of silver **** all over the immediate place with some on ME ! I am now sporting several scabs on my lips and chin from lead. I wear a hat, cotton shirt and pants so I have no other trophy scabs !

So I made a frame and tacked some copper screen to it. I supported it over the pot in a 45 degree incline so I can reach around the back of it to add ore. It at least keeps the fairy from reaching me. I continued smeltng and while the fairy tried to attack me, it was unsuccessful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789