Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Olde Eynsford info update

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar

Olde Eynsford info update

Dear Distributors,

I’m writing this to quell any rumor or concern regarding our new match grade sporting black powder, Olde Eynsford.

Olde Eynsford is authentic black powder. There are no special additives in Olde Eynsford and it is not a smokeless powder.

Hodgdon/Goex is committed to the success of Olde Eynsford. After having received positive reports from award winning competition shooters, the tweaking is done. We can now concentrate on future production, making certain that Olde E is available to all who demand excellence.

Thank you for your continued support and patronage.

Anita A. Vincenti, Manager Logistics

GOEX Powder, Inc.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

From what you have learned, that is hard to believe. Too bad they don't just come out and say exactly what it is. If it is really black powder, it's not exactly a trade secret as to what is in it or how it is made.

-Nobade

They just said in this release it's real blackpowder. They could of used more nitrates etc, they could be using a different sort of charcoal.
    But stop and think for just a half second, if it really wasn't blackpowder , why would they want to loose so much market share by calling and classifying it as black, and not be able to put cases of it on every bigbox stores reloading shelves, along with all the mom and pop shops?
    I do know it was tested by an ATFE lab anylist and those results show it has common blackpowder components.
    The stuff is fast and it's clean, and it is showing some real accuracy potential. It's worth the 127$ for a 5 lb order just to try out.

Thanks for the info Don. I've been watching the Old E debates on several boards. I'll be trying some when I scrape up some extra cash.

Yep, I know they said it is real black powder. But they also said Pyrodex is non-corrosive when they came out with that too. My point was, why not say what is different about it? Black powder is all made essentially the same way, with the charcoal and the processing times differing to change its charismatics. If they put a lot of time into making it, why not brag some to clear up any misconceptions? It does seem odd that powder that is so light can be so powerful without anything additional added to it.

But yes, I am going to be buying some to try out eventually too....

-Nobade

Mike it's been fun testing this stuff, have had some interesting results to say the least. I think once folks get calmed down and try this stuff they're probably going to like it for some things, probably hate it for other. Swiss/schuetzen shooters should be able to go right from their current load setting on their powder measure and not notice any change other than the fouling (they're about to find out what light soft foul really is).
    Goex/KIK shooters will get along with this pretty good, if they were 2f/cartridge shooters go with 1.5 , and if they shot 3f go with the 2f. I haven't shot the 3f but that's got to be some hotstuff maynard!

I think for years we've heard the whine about wishing to shoot the good powder from the good oldays, and now we have our chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    . But they also said Pyrodex is non-corrosive when they came out with that too.
    But yes, I am going to be buying some to try out eventually too....

-Nobade
    Have heard this thing about Pyrodex often the last few days. Got to wondering as I never ever remember at any time it being called non corrosive. So I started digging in stacks of old stuff, and I got way back into BlackPowder Times and Buckskin Reports and Muzzleloader magazines, and could not find anything to substanuate the noncorrosive claim from the manufacturer, either Pawlek or Hogdons. Matter of fact Hogdons in a manual printed in 1984 specifically said the gun need be cleaned and oiled soon after shooting.
    The other thing that's been part of the "hogdons lie" conspiracy theorist as of late is, "they said it would work in flintlocks" Yes they did, but they also said for it to work with flintlocks it needed a 5 gr kicker charge, and that 5 grs of blackpowder under the pyrodex needed to be reduced from the total pyrodex charge....
    So if somebody has something in print from the manufacture prior to 1984 I would like to see it.

Grafs show Olde Eysnford in stock on their web site today.

Boolit Master

I think early on some of the misconception about Pyodex being non-corrosive might have been the dealer enthusiasm more so than manufacturer claims. I remember when the stuff first came out, before the factory explosion, my gun shop owner swore straight up and down that Pryodex was no more corrosive than smokeless, he said that was it's main selling point! I bought a jug of the stuff, my first and last, and shot some of it in my early T/C Hawkin I had built from a kit and a replica percussion revolver. Fortunately I thoroughly cleaned the Hawkin but left the revolver to see what would happen, the next day it still looked good with not any noticeable rust so I put it back in the case and left it-big mistake! About a week later I took it out and it was a mess, I cleaned it best I could and kept it for several years after but the bore was pitted and the finish on the cylinder and rear of the barrel was ruined. I finished shooting that jug but I never bought (and never will) another one.

I had a mainstreet gunshop at the time, and an explosives license. We sold mostly blackpowder, and got few cans of the new Pyrodex. I couldn't get it to shoot in any of the percussion guns, and couldn't see the point of duplexing it with black to make it work in a flinter. We tried it with cartridges and nothing to much to brag about there. Then there was an article came in one of the bp rags that the author pointed out to get it to shoot in his 44-40 he had to compress the snot out of it. We tried that and sure enough it would shoot a bit better but couldn't match good ol Goex. So those were the last cans of the new wonder powder we ever got, but we kept the truck from Western busy dropping cases of bp every trip they made thru town.

Perma-Banned

Anyone have any ideas the price per pound?

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

5 lb. lot: $24.60 per lb.
    10 lb. lot: $19.40 per lb.
    25 or 50 lb. lot: $16.00 per lb.
    Price includes shipping and hazmat fee.

I'll wait until I hear from others who have tried it. mean while I'll stick with the old black and red can.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Anyone have any ideas the price per pound?
    Grafs finally got some in stock. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/26167
    For the most part its about a dollar higher than the regular goex , shuetzen and KIK.

Boolit Buddy

Today I recieved a case of powder from my supplier and 20 pounds of 2fg was 12.25 a pound and I asked for five pounds of Olde Eynsford at 13.35 a pound. a dollar ten a pound more.
    If its half as good as described its a real deal.
    This does not include the Haz mat and shipping charge of 70.00 a case.
    Some dealers advertise FREE shipping and haz mat then just charge more for the powder. Some deal!!
    Last edited by Tom Trevor; 04-10-2013 at 11:19 PM.

If ya break it down and do the math, your 2f cost 15.5 and the old E cost 16.20

I been shooting this Olde Eynsford now for a little over two weeks now and at first I thought that it was not the real black powder and I called the distributor and had him find out just what it is and Goex told him also that it is the real thing. I will take them for their word because it is a very good powder and I will keep using it as long as it is made and the quality it is.
    Ken