Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air rifle users

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Eagle View Post
    BB's in a break barrel air rifle will not create enough resistance and may cause a detonation, possibly damaging the rifle....
    Last time I had a pellet rifle, I was 12 yrs. old, so I'm new to this. Can you explain this for me? I've never heard of it and it's got my curiosity goin'.

Boolit Master

Jim, you really got me going on this air rifle thing. I've been looking at one of those Rugers and it is getting mighty tempting.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Last time I had a pellet rifle, I was 12 yrs. old, so I'm new to this. Can you explain this for me? I've never heard of it and it's got my curiosity goin'.
    Jim he was saying with a "steel/copper BB' they won't make a good air seal without a good air seal it is like dry firing your gun and can cause damage to the cylinder. However a lead BB is a whole different animal they are made to replace a pellet and fit snug unlike steel/copper BB's.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    For better or worse, a lot has changed in airguns since we were kids. Sheridan and Benjamin have since been bought by Crosman and changed for the worse. Even some of Crosman and Daisy's gun have been devolved. Meanwhile the spring air guns have improved. That accuracy and power phenomenal but that comes with a small learning curve.

The resistance of the pellet and its ability to seal the bore acts as a "shock absorber" to the fast moving piston. Think of the automatic closers for screen doors. If you decrease the mass and/or remove the seal, the piston will come to a violent and potentially damaging stop. That is why it is said to never dryfire a spring air gun.

I have not heard of detonation from a BB. Maybe true if there is oil on it. Other than the approved, if any, oil for a spring air gun, all oil should be kept out of the barrel and compression chamber. Non approved oil will act just like diesel fuel in a diesel engine. That causes unhappy pressure spikes.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    Jim, you really got me going on this air rifle thing. I've been looking at one of those Rugers and it is getting mighty tempting.
    Charlie, I really enjoy mine. The hi viz sights are incredibly bright, very easy on old eyes. The rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation with knobs, which means no screwdriver required. Here is a link to the rifle at AIR GUN DEPOT.

The other day, I was messin' with it and, just for kicks and giggles, I put a pellet in backwards. It's just as accurate as shooting it forward!

I have the top of a 55 gallon barrel that I shoot at like a gong set up about 75 yards from the front steps. Again, just messin' around, I put two pellets in the chamber. I fired at the gong and heard 'tonk, tonk'. That surprised me.

It's a lot of fun to shoot, but after a coupla' dozen shots, I have to quit with it. 'Bout the only down side to this for me is, it's tough on my arthritic elbows cockin' it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    For better or worse, a lot has changed in airguns since we were kids. Sheridan and Benjamin have since been bought by Crosman and changed for the worse. Even some of Crosman and Daisy's gun have been devolved. Meanwhile the spring air guns have improved. That accuracy and power phenomenal but that comes with a small learning curve.

The resistance of the pellet and its ability to seal the bore acts as a "shock absorber" to the fast moving piston. Think of the automatic closers for screen doors. If you decrease the mass and/or remove the seal, the piston will come to a violent and potentially damaging stop. That is why it is said to never dryfire a spring air gun.

I have not heard of detonation from a BB. Maybe true if there is oil on it. Other than the approved, if any, oil for a spring air gun, all oil should be kept out of the barrel and compression chamber. Non approved oil will act just like diesel fuel in a diesel engine. That causes unhappy pressure spikes.
    NOW I understand. Thanks, Joe! I'm familiar with the diesel syndrome, but never thought about that with respect to an air rifle. 'Preciate you clearin' that up for me.

Jim I has RA and know what you mean about it being though on the old bones. I wear a wrist and elbow brace if I'm going to be shooting a lot they work great. If you don't have braces you may want to try a Ace bandage.

Boolit Master

Sounds to me like the slingshot's are going to make a comeback,unless rocks will end up regulated also...
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GT27 View Post
    Sounds to me like the slingshot's are going to make a comeback,unless rocks will end up regulated also...
    Yup, pretty useful too on cats in the garbage.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Remember airguns take special scopes made for air guns because the recoil of the spring piston will shake apart even a good conventional scope.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    I've had one of the Rugers for a couple years now to take care of the cottontail bunnies that like my garden produce. Great little gun with a 4X older Tasco scope on it. The new "Ballistic Tip" type pellets are great, they shoot flatter and really have a terminal effect on anything they hit.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-150-...7-pellets.html
    Last edited by rexherring; 04-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Boolit Master

I just got some new bands for my wrist rocket to practice up with it as well.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12