Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Can anybody explain to me...

Boolit Master

Can anybody explain to me...

...why this thing costs more than the entire kit I bought it with? http://www.amazon.com/Reloading-Manu...loading+manual I mean it is a good book, but still $332 (+$3.99 shipping) is alot of sheckles! And there are multiple copies new and used for that price there. If anybody offered me half that for the one sitting on my bench right now I would be a heat wave and a vapor trail going to get it! I thought I was doing pretty good when the tread came up a few months back about the Lyman 45th being worth $150, but that seems like a pittance now. What gives?
    Last edited by 429421Cowboy; 04-08-2013 at 02:03 AM.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

If I'm paying $332 for a book, it better come with Morgan Freeman who will sit there and read it to me aloud.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

I don't think it's a typo either, under the comments someone bought it for around 30 clams and in Feb the price jumped. Has the balloon gone up yet?
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

A fool and his money will soon part.....

Hmmmmm................ maybe I should see what I can get for my "old" editions....................

Boolit Master
    Even more scary is the fact that the new in plastic ones are listed at up to $400 dollars! I think i paid something like $250 for my whole RCBS setup including that edition a few years back and here we sit in this crunch looking at prices like these. I thought it only applied to primers and .22 ammo but apparently gougers are going to gouge on EVERYTHING gun related. And the two stores selling the new copies have 98% Amazon ratings! Who even thinks that is close to okay??
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Hmmmmm................ maybe I should see what I can get for my "old" editions....................
    You mean vintage collector's edition
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

and yet right below it you can get a hornady hard back for the paltry sum of 40 bucks
    or the more pedestrian version of reloading manuals for 14.99

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    and yet right below it you can get a hornady hard back for the paltry sum of 40 bucks
    or the more pedestrian version of reloading manuals for 14.99
    Agreed, but as I ruminate over the craziness it's becoming more apparent that those folks that would have been buying trips, new boats, cars, bikes etc. are running to the LGS or the internet and dropping the coin there. Then the whole "if it's expensive it's worth it" mind set or "price isn't an issue" disposable income types doing the same thing and you have your runs on everything. No real sympathy for the "point and click" crowd with the above mindset, deals are out there, I just have to look a little harder.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Midway has them listed at$29.99
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537...ding-manual-14

But like everything else shooting related it is OUT OF STOCK.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

People who want to move a lot of books, or play games, use algorithms to determine pricing automatically. The software scours Amazon.com for pricing info and adjust the sellers prices up and down as what the math perceives as a trend. Some want to stay just ahead of their competitors, while others want to stay just below the competition. As you noticed, it leads to bizarre pricing. Check back next week and it could be a penny or a thousand dollars.

Banned

it still doesn't beat the closeout deal midway had on 5/5/90 alloy for only $9,999.00 per pound.

In Remembrance
    What I find scary, is that the same people that are paying these crazy prices have guns. lol

In Remembrance

I had better take better care of my Lyman 45th edition. I bought it for $3.50 about eight years ago.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

All that I can say is, WOW!!!
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Midway has them listed at$29.99
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537...ding-manual-14

But like everything else shooting related it is OUT OF STOCK.
    but it can be back ordered for that price
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Two weeks ago I bought that manual and a Nosler #6 for $20 each at the local Wholesale Sports store. They were reducing (or maybe going out of) selling books so it was 1/2 price!
    R.D.M.