Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: win 94 in 35-30-30

Boolit Master
    A bit curious. Does Jes engrave such rebored barrel as being >35-30-30?

Hyphenated or jmort both seem to have a good handle on the info your wanting OP.

Personally I think if someone has the hots for a 35 Remington. The Jes re-bore is a much better solution.

I love the .35 Remington. I know I would love the longer neck of the 35/30-30. I have got to get around to sending a Model 94 to JES.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I measured water capacities of the .35 Remington and .35/.30-30 to see how close they were.

Brass in both calibers was Winchester, the .35 Remington case was once-fired from a Marlin.

Capacity in grains of water when filled to base of neck:

.35 Remington - 39 grains;
    .35/.30-30 - 34 grains.

Now, when a 200-grain bullet is seated to 2.55" overall cartridge length to feed in a Winchester 94 in the .35/.30-30 case, its base is 1/3 the way up the neck, so I took another measurement, this time filling the case neck with water and carefully squeezing out the excess pressing a bullet to the crimp groove in the fired case.

That result was 37 grains.

So, I determined that using .35 Remington load data was OK as a guide as long as I stayed a grain or so below maximum loads.

This has worked well in actual practice for over ten years and I haven't blown up anything.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Yes but stamp, not engrave

Boolit Buddy

I have had 3 rifles rebored by JES Reboring, 1st was a Marlin that was a rust bucket with no wood, he rebored it to 38-55, I got mostly finished stocks and fit them now it's a tack driver. 2nd was a HOWA 1500 in 243 rebored to 358 Win 3 groove that is a hammer, great shooter. 3rd was a Westernfield 30-30 to 405 Jess and is a tack driver too! Killed a yearling today with it @ 75 yards cut the heart in half! .411 265 GC at 1800 plus fps! Love all his work and he's a great guy!
    Last edited by Prodigal Son; 10-22-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I measured water capacities of the .35 Remington and .35/.30-30 to see how close they were.

Brass in both calibers was Winchester, the .35 Remington case was once-fired from a Marlin.

Capacity in grains of water when filled to base of neck:

.35 Remington - 39 grains;
    .35/.30-30 - 34 grains.

Now, when a 200-grain bullet is seated to 2.55" overall cartridge length to feed in a Winchester 94 in the .35/.30-30 case, its base is 1/3 the way up the neck, so I took another measurement, this time filling the case neck with water and carefully squeezing out the excess pressing a bullet to the crimp groove in the fired case.

That result was 37 grains.

So, I determined that using .35 Remington load data was OK as a guide as long as I stayed a grain or so below maximum loads.

This has worked well in actual practice for over ten years and I haven't blown up anything.
    When you do this are you using fired brass in order to get as close to the chamber as possible or are you using sized brass? There may not be enough difference to matter on some combinations especially when determining starting loads. Thanks

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by BHill View Post
    When you do this are you using fired brass in order to get as close to the chamber as possible or are you using sized brass? There may not be enough difference to matter on some combinations especially when determining starting loads. Thanks
    I am using fired brass, because I neck size only for my rifle and use a Lyman 310 tong tool with dies made by Erik Ohlen of www.hollowpointmold.com

I mostly use the Accurate 36-245D bullet and a compressed case full of either IMR4895, IMR4064, RL15 or Varget, compressing the powder about 1/8" with the base of the seated bullet as if loading black powder. I cast from wheelweights with 2% tin added and have no leading issues with the plainbased bullet and filling the lube groove with NRA formula 50-50 Alox-Beeswax and sizing bullets .360". Velocity is 1600-1700 fps from a 20" barrel. I use 9 grains of Bullseye with the same bullet as a plinker.

If you wanted a GC bullet Tom at Accurate could very easily modify the base band to provide a 0.090" GC heel, and you could then drive the bullet faster with powders similar to 3031, RL7 or 4198, but I was happy with .38-55 level performance, didn't want the added expense and effort of adding GCs and felt it unnecessary.

Attachment 206786
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 35/30 several months ago from a guy over on Paco Kellys. I am unsure who did the conversion but boy howdy does that thing shoot. I was lucky as I got brass, dies and bullet mold in the deal. I am going to use this as my buck deer rifle this year. It will put four touching at 50.yards and an inch at a hondo. I am at archery camp so cannot give the load as my CRS is in full bloom.

Boolit Man
    I’ve been looking to get a rough 30/30 for this conversion. Haven’t had much luck. I already Have died etc. so I can Be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by woody402 View Post
    I’ve been looking to get a rough 30/30 for this conversion. Haven’t had much luck. I already Have died etc. so I can Be patient.
    Glad you are alive and living in such a beautiful part of the Empire State. Good luck in your search.

Boolit Mold

re: JES Markings

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post

Hyphenated or jmort both seem to have a good handle on the info your wanting OP.

Personally I think if someone has the hots for a 35 Remington. The Jes re-bore is a much better solution.
    I'll try to post some pics of the way JES marked Hyphenated's 35/30-30, which is now mine. #1 is upside down, shows 30-30 XXed out #2 shows the new cartridge marks #3 shows the straight stock I put on it #4 shows it how Hyphenated used it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35-30xx.jpg   35-30.jpeg   35-30Full.jpeg   SC_1.jpg  

Boolit Man
    is the twist rate the same on the JES rebore... between cast & Jword bullets ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12