Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Uberti 1885, 38/55

Boolit Buddy

HK33KA1
    If you buy a 38-55 buy the Pedersoli High Wall. I have one of the first to come into the country. Nice rifle, finish & fit is excellent. Unfortunatly I can't give you realistic reports. Mine slugs .379.5. I have tried sizing at .380 and .381 using the Lee boolit and the Lyman (I think #) 378684. I shoot only smokeless and have good luck with both boolits with IMR4227 and Unique using Starline 2.125 brass. Too many projects and not too much range time. will agree with DHB that the Cimarron/Uberti's IMO don't shoot well. I had one in 40-65 I couldn't make shoot well, that was just rebarreled to 40-70 Sharps BN. Waiting for dies for that puppy. Have one in 30-40 Krag that won't do much better than two in at 100 yds. Maybe another candidate for a new barrel.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    I've ordered a S807 Pedersoli in .38-55 and should have it in a week.

Boolit Buddy
    My Pedersoli has arrived and it's very nice. Haven't shot it yet, but my unsized .381" Lee boolit in a Win case chambers tight and only then with a bit of force. I think I'm going to wait until my .380" Lee Sizer arrives and try that. I'd like to slug mine too, but don't have any lead in the size range (.390" or so) Just .358" and .458"

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by hk33ka1 View Post
    My Pedersoli has arrived and it's very nice. Haven't shot it yet, but my unsized .381" Lee boolit in a Win case chambers tight and only then with a bit of force. I think I'm going to wait until my .380" Lee Sizer arrives and try that. I'd like to slug mine too, but don't have any lead in the size range (.390" or so) Just .358" and .458"
    Try slugging with one of the .381" boolits, you may be surprised.

Don't use a wood dowel.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Man
    I've been periodically getting advice from Buckshot on my Uberti 38-55 Highwall. I'm not very skilled at shooting with open sights and cast but I'm getting there. Here's my last message to him.

Buckshot,

It looks like I might have a good barrel on my Cimmaron High Wall but - I can't be certain yet (I'm a lousy shot with open sights!) I ended up getting a tang sight from Steve Baldwin (he lives 20 miles from me).

This is the best load so far.

Bullet: Buffalo Arms 275 gr. FN (.380/SPG/1-20 alloy)
    Powder: 21.0 gr. IMR 4198
    Primer: CCI-200
    Case: Winchester (.377 inside neck diameter)

Five shots at 100 yards.

It was pretty much a 50 yard gun (for me) with the factory sights, now its like having a whole new rifle!
    Last edited by pbcaster45; 07-01-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Man
    Went to the range today to chronograph some loads in the Uberti and this rifle is really starting to perform! And to think I thought it was just a pretty lemon! Got to give credit to that Steve Baldwin tang sight - its awesome!

Five shots at 100 yards (1.3 inches)

Bullet: Buffalo Arms 275 gr. FN (.379/SPG/1-20 alloy)
    Powder: 21.0 gr. IMR 4198
    Primer: CCI-200
    Average Velocity: 1578.21 fps
    ES: 42.85
    SD: 14.79
    Comments: Used neck sized Winchester brass and mild crimp. Very clean burning with no visible leading.

Ten shots at 100 yards (2.10 inches)

Bullet: Cast Performance 260 gr. LFNGC (.380)
    Powder: 20.0 grs. Accurate 5744
    Primer: Wolf Large Rifle
    Average Velocity: 1523.78 fps
    ES: 30.32
    SD: 14.10
    Comments: Not as clean burning as IMR-4198 but cleaner than H4895.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy a lyman 330gr. and have some one bore the grooves out to .381, thats what I did to my 38/55 . BP or 20.5 gr. of 4227 ,its a tackdriver!!

Boolit Man
    Here's a little update.

I had this box of Oregon Trail 240 gr. RNFPs (.380) that have been sitting around for years. I just couldn't get them to shoot before, I just assumed it was the bevel base, lube, or some other thing. Well, I was getting low on bullets so last weekend I gave them another try. I tried using neck sized cases and seating out beyond the crimp groove (just enough to close the action) - and it worked! I'm back in business! The portion just in front of the crimp groove only measures .371 - I should have checked this out the first time. Forgot to measure the group but it looks like roughly one inch at 100 yards?

Bullet: Oregon Trail 240 gr. FN (.380)
    Powder: 20.0 grs. IMR 4198
    Primer: CCI-BR2
    Case: Starline 2.125 (.378 inside neck diameter)
    LOAL: 2.700

Super Moderator

.............That Oregon Trail slug looks suspiciously like the Lee boolit

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Loving this thread on 38-55. I recently got a Lyman Mini Sharps and a Winchester (Japan) 94 in this cartridge.

I'm finding 9g of Unique is fantastic! Both guns like the LEE 250g bullet with SPG lube. Both shooting .380 bullets. Anything smaller might tumble in the Lyman which has a larger bore than the Winchester.

A Pedersoli 38-55 in on my "to do" list
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Loving this thread on 38-55. I recently got a Lyman Mini Sharps and a Winchester (Japan) 94 in this cartridge.

I'm finding 9g of Unique is fantastic! Both guns like the LEE 250g bullet with SPG lube. Both shooting .380 bullets. Anything smaller might tumble in the Lyman which has a larger bore than the Winchester.

A Pedersoli 38-55 in on my "to do" list
    Roy,

Are you using any fillers with the 9 grains of Unique?

Thanks,
    Gregory
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Master
    No Fillers.............My understanding is that unless you really know what you are doing, you should not use fillers in large volume, smokeless powder cases. A "Ringed" chamber could result.

I keep hearing about UNIQUE in many straight walled rifle cases and I just had to try it. So far in 38-55 and 45-70 have been fantastic. The most accurate smokeless loads I've ever shot out of both the cartridges.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    No Fillers.............My understanding is that unless you really know what you are doing, you should not use fillers in large volume, smokeless powder cases. A "Ringed" chamber could result.

I keep hearing about UNIQUE in many straight walled rifle cases and I just had to try it. So far in 38-55 and 45-70 have been fantastic. The most accurate smokeless loads I've ever shot out of both the cartridges.

Thank you for the info. 9 grains just seems like a very small amount of powder in such a large case. I am just beginning my search for "The Load" in my Win 1885 Highwall (Japan.) Gregory
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator

...........I have a thread on Leverguns: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=166527 with my M93 Marlin, 10.0grs of Unique and the Lee 379-250 F boolit.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............That Oregon Trail slug looks suspiciously like the Lee boolit

............Buckshot
    I noticed that too, if only I could get those Oregon Trails for the original price ($44 seven years ago) - inflation! Next step is to try some IMR-4227...

Boolit Man
    I thought I'd posted this before but the big accuracy improver for me (besides the sights) was using a Meacham Neck Sizer Die with a .391 bushing (for Starline brass). The Lyman Neck Sizer works well with the thicker Winchester case but not the thinner ones from Starline.

Meacham Die with a Buffalo Arms Mold (JIM379275) for the 38-55

Last edited by pbcaster45; 10-27-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

38-55

I see the same thing on the SASS forum as here, folks trying to shoot fat bullets
    .380+ and having problems. I have four 38-55s, a Win 1894 from 1897 another from 1972, a Browing/Miroku Hi Wall and a H&R. Maybe I was just lucky but I got some Win cases from Midway, I had an old mould 375296, 276 gr, fpgc, sized .279put in 25 grs. 2015, lubed with alox/beeswax 50/50 and accuracy has been wonderful in all 4 guns. That was my 1st load and I've never changed it I've won just about every long range (300 to 600 yds.) match I've shot the lever and the Hi wall in. I've now changed the mould to 375449, same bullet but casts a little smaller, available from Lyman, the old 296 is discontinued. They are so close i didn't change a thing but the bullet, shoots in the same group. Bought 2 double cavity 375449s that I now use. For 600 yds. I up the charge to 29 grs with my peep maxed out. I've slugged a lot of barrels but have never slugged any of these 38-55s just this one load and they all shot so good nothing else was required. Just saying, it may be simpler than you think. Hank10
    Hank10
    NRA endowment life
    SASS life
    NMLRA

Boolit Master
    Thanks Hank...Gonna have to try 2015. Got some around here from my benchrest days
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456