Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: load for 1895 Marlin in .45-70

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Sure can't argue with groups like that! My guess is that 43.3 grs. will put you right on top of 1400fps. Should take care of any vermin in the garden, like buffalo!
    -------------------------
    Well Rick, I'm sneaking up on the 1400 fps now. I have six cartridges loaded with 42.5 grains.

Boolit Master
    Try some IMR 4198 if you have some. It's been producing the most consistent and accurate results for me with and without filler in my SBL with my 405gr WFN.

Of course what you have going there seems to be working quite well for you, I'd be happy with groups like that. What distance were they shot at?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Try some IMR 4198 if you have some. It's been producing the most consistent and accurate results for me with and without filler in my SBL with my 405gr WFN.

Of course what you have going there seems to be working quite well for you, I'd be happy with groups like that. What distance were they shot at?
    -----------------------------
    I am shooting the groups at fifty yards. When I settle on a load, then I will move back to 100 yards. It is not likely that I will be switching powders now that I have two of the old standby powders (IMR-4895 and IMR-3031) working for me. I am still new to shooting lead bullets and was worried about the powder residue in the bore. After talking to some fellows who have been doing this for a long time, I have learned that the residue happens with a lot of powders. I have been advised to not worry about the residue because it does no harm. Since it all pushes out pretty easy with one dry patch, I guess it is no big deal. Right now I need to save four more one gallon jugs so that I can fill them with water and shoot the buggers.

Boolit Master
    Not to hijack the thread, but is the 2400 data for a Marlin only load? Or is it a load that could be shot from say a Rossi Rio Grande? I have 2 pounds of 2400 on hand and some 450gr bullets that are waiting to be loaded. I am not looking for something that is max pressure loads but something that is more mid range loading.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    The Rio Grande should handle that load fine. For a 450 I would back down to 21 or so and work up. If using a filler then go to 20 and start there. The filler will make it go faster for a given charge. If you have a Chrony increase charge til around 1350 to 1400 and stop. Accuracy should be fine and it will shoot through anything needing shot through.

Boolit Bub
    I must be a wuss, I loaded my new guide gun last summer at 36gr of IMR-4198 behind 430gr pill. I dont know what the FPS is but my shoulder could only handle about 12 with just a Tee-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by 69papatango View Post
    I must be a wuss, I loaded my new guide gun last summer at 36gr of IMR-4198 behind 430gr pill. I dont know what the FPS is but my shoulder could only handle about 12 with just a Tee-shirt.
    ----------------------------------------
    You missed that gopher 12 times? I think maybe you spooked him a bit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    The Rio Grande should handle that load fine. For a 450 I would back down to 21 or so and work up. If using a filler then go to 20 and start there. The filler will make it go faster for a given charge. If you have a Chrony increase charge til around 1350 to 1400 and stop. Accuracy should be fine and it will shoot through anything needing shot through.
    Thank you sir.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by finstr View Post
    Hey this is excellent! Thanks for the info Rich. I have a 1895 Marlin chambered in a 450 that I reproduce 45-70 loads in just for 'nostalgia' purposes.

Hey are you the same Rich Cronk that makes the really nice coyote howlers? If so they are truly a work of art!
    Not only howlers but you should check out some of his Killer calls as well
    I have been all over the board with 3031 some loads are 45 grains and some stiffer ones are between 54-56 these is with 400 gr boolits though
    you may also want to try RL/7 if you get a chance
    Rich send me a P.M with your address and I will send you some boolits for you to try
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I'm anxious to see the 42.5 gr results. I like pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I'm anxious to see the 42.5 gr results. I like pictures!
    ---------------------------
    We missed the big hail storm last night, but we got enough rain to make the fields turn to mud. We needed the rain but it shut off my load testing for awhile.

Boolit Master

I understand Rapid City got about 16" of snow last night. They're not far from you, at least from my perspective. I'll be patiently watching for the results when things dry a bit for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rapid City is a long way from CB, Iowa. Good days drive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Rapid City is a long way from CB, Iowa. Good days drive.
    Oh, I know. It's about a 3-days drive for me. When I get to the west side of Iowa I think I'm almost there.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cronk View Post
    ----------------------------------------
    You missed that gopher 12 times? I think maybe you spooked him a bit.
    Naw ....Took it out the for the first time and was happy to get it on paper 1.5" @ 50yds , although a bit low at first. I need to fine tune it when weather gets nicer and try out my .460 Hammer mold

Quote Originally Posted by 69papatango View Post
    Naw ....Took it out the for the first time and was happy to get it on paper 1.5" @ 50yds , although a bit low at first. I need to fine tune it when weather gets nicer and try out my .460 Hammer mold
    ---------------------
    It sounds like your bullets are shooting well, and I am betting that you could shoot clean through a ground squirrel iffen you can get close enough. Never mind me, I'm just joshing ya. I plan to shoot from 100 yards on my next time out. Wish me luck.

This is great I have some 3031 and wanted to try it, thanks!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Guy's,
    I have more test loads ready to go just as soon as the fields dry up enough for me to drive out there. As you know, a man needs to be sure he has a good back stop when shooting the mighty .45-70. I use terrace's around here, and sometimes a nice steep hillside for my bullet stopper. I have a few rounds loaded with 42&1/2 grains of IMR-3031 and a few with 43 grains behind a Holliday 430 grainer. I also have about 14 or 15 one gallon jugs saved up. I want to make a video of a 430 grain Doc Holiday 430 grain Tombstone bullet causing total devistation of those milk jugs full of water. Keep your eye on this thread for further updates, and please pray for a bit of sunshine for western Iowa. Cronk has .45-70 fever.

Boolit Master

Well I finally got out to shoot a little bit. I tried a penetration test on 13 one gallon jugs filled with water. I didn't get lined up just right and my bullet steadily drifted to the right, and exited out the right rear of jug #8. My Grand daughter wanted to shoot the remaining five jugs. We had a zombie target behind the last jug. Yep, she killed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrIGWQkegkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Zl1pUwJn8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast