Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aluminum Oxide a Problem?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    ........To me it seems pretty simple. If aluminum gas-checks trigger a concern for you. Don't use them. If thousands of shots have to be fired using them before you start getting signs of wear then, the point is as close to being a mute-point as you can possibly get without it actually being a mute-point.........HollowPoint
    It's not so much a concern as a point of curiosty for me.

It just may be a moot point - its debatability is obviously proven by the discussion that has occurred so far and while each of the contibutors may have started with certain opinions and perspectives, sharing them and considering others' in the process has probably led some to alternate assumptions and some of us full circle.

I personally was not aware that so many rounds of GCs were being used myself but contributions of such accounts in this thread have led me to be open to assumptions other than those with which I started. It may seem simple after reviewing all the comments, but I think all the comments contribute to somewhat greater clarity on others' positions. Before this discussion, I had my own assumptions to work from. I have gained a lot of insight from the discussion myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Well said. Assume, well taken apart is *** out of you and me. Assume! Tests are the answer! -tj

Boolit Grand Master

So now we need to worry, about the passivated layer in our bore, cutting the AO2 off our Alu checks????
    Until there is PROOF of Alu checks damaging bores, as in destroyed or at least measured wear, of a number of tested barrels, it's all conjecture. Even a 1-1 test proves absolutely nothing, as a fluke in the results on either, ascues the results.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    So now we need to worry, about the passivated layer in our bore, cutting the AO2 off our Alu checks????
    Until there is PROOF of Alu checks damaging bores, as in destroyed or at least measured wear, of a number of tested barrels, it's all conjecture. Even a 1-1 test proves absolutely nothing, as a fluke in the results on either, ascues the results.
    I believe that everyone who has contributed to the discusson so far recognizes that this has pretty much all been conjecture. That seems to have been established but the reminder is appreciated.

I believe that in my original post I merely asked if proof existed. I am not demanding proof of anything, no one is obligated to provide it and I am not disappointed that no one has. However, I do value and appreciate the opinions and facts that have been offered throughout the discussion and particularly value the respectful way in which they have been issued and recieved.

There was no original assertion which anyone should have felt obliged to prove or disprove. A question was asked and opinions were provided. No one who offered an assertion or opinion has attempted to convince anyone else that it is proof. Some provided interesting facts.

No one need worry or not worry if they didn't already before this thread started.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There ARE aluminum jacketed bullets. I dug quite a few of them out of a berm last year when I was cleaning a pistol range.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7114018
    Yes there are, it's just that they haven't been produced in numerous years. If you would look at the date on referenced article you would notice the date 1982. Back then Winchester made "silvertip" handgun ammo for 32acp, 380acp, 9mm, 38/357, 44spl, and 45acp, and 45colt. They had aluminum jackets with a groove that had lube it in. A search for prior discussion would have turned all this info up.
    Last edited by Bwana; 04-24-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting discussion. I used to worry about this sort of thing.....but as I studied things I got a lot less concerned. Most barrel erosion is caused by hot GASES at high pressures. The second most damaging wear is traceable to poor cleaning practices. Abrasive effect from jacket materials of gas checks? Every shot deposits carbon from powder combustion-an abrasive. One of the ingredients in primers is GROUND GLASS. Shattered silicon crystals are an abrasive for sure.....but how fast do barrels wear out? Depends on the caliber and usage but worst offenders are ultra high velocity cartridges that burn handfuls of powder and the wear is clearly NOT caused by the passage of bullets with oxidation layers or carbon particles and glass particles getting ironed into them from the previous shots. The ruinous wear is gas erosion just in front of the chambers. Even the high wear arms last for many times their initial cost in ammunition costs. Shooting cast bullets at the typically lower pressures we spend many, many times the cost of the firearm in ammo before wearing out a barrel let alone the entire gun..... I don't want to wear out my precious guns yet I wish that I could be so fortunate as to wear one out shooting it. Most of mine will survive me and the new owners are going to marvel at how "new" they all seem.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Grand Master

No intention to offend, but this subject has used a ton of ink, to no avail. No extensive tests have been reported that would clearly ID a problem. Conjecture does little to further anything but more conjecture.
    Yes I have polished many gemstones with AlO2. It does cut to a tiny extent, but it is a tiny flat surface, held solidly against a soft lap with either a slurry of AlO2 compound, or the AlO2 impregnated into it's surface. It doesn't happen in a nano second, nor without pressure applied.
    If the Alu gas checks do anything, they will improve (conjecture) the bore surface after many thousands are used. The benefit of a gas check on a lead boolit, isn't conjecture.
    The Alu check does the same thing a copper or brass one does, only much cheaper, and in some cases better.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    No intention to offend, but this subject has used a ton of ink, to no avail........

Well, a ton of pixels, maybe.

Cheaper is one thing - HAVING is quite another. I punched out a couple hundred today in short order. Didn't have to wait until I had enough of an order to make shipping costs worthwhile, didn't have to wait for them to be delivered, didn't have to grumble about no one having them in stock..... That's really pretty cool.

Boolit Master
    I will have to test the aluminium as gascheck instead of copper.. Not that it mather in weight of the bullet.

S

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234