Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Seating Gas Checks with Lee Sizer

Boolit Buddy

Seating Gas Checks with Lee Sizer

I've seen that some don't lube the bullets before seating gas checks with the push through sizer. The directions say to lube with Alox, and then size/seat gas check.

Is one method preferable? I'd rather not lead up my sizer if I don't have to, but I can see gas checks seating better on unlubed bullets.

Boolit Master
    I use a little of the Imperial sizing wax before pushing thru the Lee sizer.

I use the Imperial sizing wax on plain cast bullets and powder coated bullets.

Installing the gas checks works best if the Lee sizer is inverted and a hand press is used to push the check and bullet thru the press.

The common press is the 1/2 ton press from Harbor Freight.

Boolit Master

If you are using a flat nose design just flip the boolit over and push it through that way. If your mold is tossing them fairly well and they clip right on try dipping them in LLA and letting them dry. Then size.
    A set of these makes dipping pretty easy no matter what design: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...eezers-111724/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweeze.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	66550
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

It doesn't take much lube to go through the sizing die.
    I use a rag with a little olive oil drizzled over it, pile a bunch of bullets on the rag and wrap them up and give them a bit of a rub.

I use the beer can gas checks and they don't handle the cookie cutter to well when I pan lube and the cookie cutter won't work on unsized bullits so after I drizzle and size I pan lube, then shove them back through the sizer butt first to seat the check.
    Yeah, I know it's tedious, but it works.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by gundownunder View Post
    It doesn't take much lube to go through the sizing die.
    I use a rag with a little olive oil drizzled over it, pile a bunch of bullets on the rag and wrap them up and give them a bit of a rub.

I use the beer can gas checks and they don't handle the cookie cutter to well when I pan lube and the cookie cutter won't work on unsized bullits so after I drizzle and size I pan lube, then shove them back through the sizer butt first to seat the check.
    Yeah, I know it's tedious, but it works.
    That sounds solid to me. I care less if it's tedious or not. It works, and works well. That is what matters to me. Figure I am already tedious and extremely meticulous about my reloads...can't hurt to be the same when I start casting. The more I read posts in this forum the more excited I am to get started. Wife is going to hate me.
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been checking with Lee push-thru dies for years and don't pre-lube. When I get a new sizing die, I polish the throat with a bit of 4/0 steel wool on a section of cleaning rod or some such in an electric drill. Makes it way mo' bedduh!

Put some on some crappy bullets I got in a DEAL, makes the boolits useable

Boolit Master

I just spray a light mist of case lube over the boolit prior to sizing in a Lee sizer. The lube is cheap as it is self mixed using Lanolin and alcohol.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    I've never had any problem just useing Alox. The trick with any lube is don't over do it.

I have never used lube with the Lee's and think the lack of it help to seat the GC.I bet i have over 15,000 though my .309 and haven't see any lead building up.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    i pan lube all my bullets after I seat the GC with the Lee Lube Sizer naked of an lube
    Regards
    John