MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pietta BP pistol

Boolit Bub

Pietta BP pistol

Hey you all

Need some advice. Never owned a black powder revolver in my life and am looking to purchase a Pietta 1858 with adjustable sights. I am looking at the 36 cal, simply because it uses less powder. Should I get this or should I go to the 44 cal. I have a Lee ball mold in .375, weighing 79 grains. If I use FFFG powder, how much could I load if I get the 36 cal? I have been casting for many moons and realize that I will have to use pure lead. I will also be making my own wads using 1/8 " wool felt, beeswax and mutton tallow.
    I will be purchasing a flask, measuring device, nipple wrench and capper. I have shot IPSC, PPC, Bullseye and trap. I am into a new adventure and am seeking as much advice and opinions as I can. I own 26 handguns and a whole slew of long guns, but never a black powder. Looking to hear from everyone and what they have to say. thanks

Boolit Master
    .36 Caliber = approx. 18 grs FFFG
    I cast .380 roundballs (pure lead). A few of my revolvers have been able to shoot .375, but for most, that size is too small.
    .44 caliber = approx. 30 grs FFFG
    I cast .454 roundballs
    The arbor/cylinder pin on Remington models do not have grease grooves, so they can tend to bind. I use the vegetable spray PAM on the cylinder pin as a lube and it works great.
    Nothing wrong with brass framed revolvers but I'd stick with steel frames.
    I was taught never to load from a flask to the gun for safety reasons. Others might disagree.
    I use Pryodex occasionally but I like BP better. For me, it's more consistent.
    I don't use felt wads or any filler (Cream of Wheat), but some do. I have used lube pills (beeswax/paraffin). Usually I use Crisco or Bore Butter over the balls in the cylinder (or PAM).
    I completely strip and clean every part after shooting. I've seen too many used guns where the previous owner did not do this - BP and Pryodex are nasty if left inside a gun. I like to clean the guns while watching the Bruins beat the Senators and/or Leafs.
    Caps are always an adventure. I use #11 and pinch then on if they're too big. Others do not like pinching. I base my method on this:
    From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
    "Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."

.44 or .36 - you can't go wrong with either.

Boolit Master
    I have both caliber revolvers in the 1859 rem style (actually most replicas actually replicate the 1863 model remington not that there is much difference). I generally shoot the 44 with 30 gr of BP and the 36 with 20 gr. You can get around 35 gr in the 44 and 28 gr in the 36 cal guns. I generally use 454 dia balls for the 44 and 380 dia for the 36. I do not take my guns completely apart every time I shoot them but liberally spray WD 40 into the action and clean the bore and cylinder/nipples completely. I have found that over the years (over 40) that the fouling stays moist with the WD 40 and no rust starts in the gun. I detail strip and clean them about once a year of every 200 rounds which ever comes first.

Boolit Bub

Boolit Master