Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Saga of the Asperly Aimless

Boolit Grand Master
    Catshooter--

Rest assured, Buckshot never brings ANYTHING aimless to the Burrito Shoot. Tomorrow's festivities allegedly involve handguns, so I concocted some New And Improved Mondo Accurate Can't Be Beat Loads for the S&W Model 16-4. THAT'S RIGHT, I'm bringing the Mid-Caliber Magnum. I know Rick will have that (expletives deleted) K-38 along for the ride, so I had to step things up a notch or two.

The posts about the pigeons cracked me up. They sound a lot like Buckshot's crab lice remedy--shave one side, and ignite the other--then stab the survivors that escape the inferno with an icepick as they flee across the shaved open ground.

True bizness--my agency found one of those foo gas arrangements set up in a marijuana grow site a year prior to my assignment to narcotics. Several have been found in grow sites around CA over the years.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Super Moderator

[QUOTE=9.3X62AL;219367]Catshooter--

Rest assured, Buckshot never brings ANYTHING aimless to the Burrito Shoot. Tomorrow's festivities allegedly involve handguns, so I concocted some New And Improved Mondo Accurate Can't Be Beat Loads for the S&W Model 16-4. THAT'S RIGHT, I'm bringing the Mid-Caliber Magnum. I know Rick will have that (expletives deleted) K-38 along for the ride, so I had to step things up a notch or two. [QUOTE]

..............My K-38 won BTW, in case you'd like to have it I used a load I cooked up that works real well. You take a 148gr WC and stuff it into a 38 Special case with a mild roll crimp and use 2.7grs of Bullseye. No payment required for the load data. Just trying to help

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Real front-end/high-tech load work, that. Hairball.

The two loads I ran yesterday in the 32 Magnum both used the RCBS 98 SWC in Starline cases with WSP primers--7.0 grains of 2400, and 3.5 grains of SR-4756. Both shot very well over the bags, but the wheels came off once I stood up.

One of our members here--Big Slick--is doing some really intrepid loading of this caliber in a Ruger SP-101. 115-120 grain boolits to 1400 FPS........not sure I want to try that bit in the K-frame S&W. I had always thought the caliber has been under-developed and under-loaded due to the original platforms housing this caliber--H&R small-frame revolvers. The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual has likely the most extensive load data in one place I've ever found for this caliber, but is dated and is aimed at these same H&R revos. We have at least 2 and often 3 ackowledged load levels for the 45-70......there's no reason a similar doctrine couldn't be applied to the 32 Magnum.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Al,
    Maybe you need to get Buckshot to compete using that old .577 Snider next week. I think that had a piece of bent wire held on with a hose clamp for a front sight when last seen. Thats only slightly better than the Asperly's sights. You could sneak over when he's not looking and move it some. Of course, muzzle velocity is so low that he could run down range and push them slugs back on the right track...
    Rick

Smile

That's more like it. I was afraid this thread was getting far too on-topic, not nearly aimless enough...
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Super Moderator

.................While I was delighted in the Snider carbines 5 shots into 5" at 50 yards (which is match grade accuracy compared to before) I'm still not excited about entering it into the BUrrito Invitational. You have to remember, each of us has a personal dollar bill to lose, but we stand to win a whole $4-$5. I don't think the Snider is quite up to it at this point

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    It's 22 rifles/iron sights next week.......methinks Buckshot is being righteous as to the Snider, wanting a bit more R&D before risking his whole dollar with the hyena pack that assembles on Tuesdays for burritos. We can be a surly, unforgiving lot--and if we sense a weakness, a feeding frenzy ensues. Law Of The Jungle gets no plea bargains on Tuesdays at Inland F&G, no sirree.

In a vain attempt to steer this back toward topicality, it wasn't the S&W being "aimless" yesterday.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It puzzles me, that there were some deriding the "6" topic, while this aimless topic continues on without negative comment! I guess the technical aspects of the Asperly are more fascinating!

Cast Boolits Owner

I thought the topic of 6 was easier to follow.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It puzzles me, that there were some deriding the "6" topic, while this aimless topic continues on without negative comment! I guess the technical aspects of the Asperly are more fascinating!
    Lots of people probably wish they'd bought an Aimless back when they were only $5,000.

Boolit Master

I know one thing, if it gets any deeper in here, I'm going to have to get me some taller boots!!!!!
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

No, it's just as pointless. But there is a history of topics like this being published in some gun magazines as 'humor'. I guess I just have no sense of humor, but I fail to see what possible interest grown men could have in doing this. But I'm sure that I (and everyone else) do things that lots of other people don't understand, so I'll just put on the tin foil hat CarpetMan sent me and ignore it...
    Last edited by Scrounger; 11-21-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Good story! The closest I came to foo gas (USAF in Thailand) was seeing a demo on TV back home. One of the networks (only 3 at the time) showed a setup in country. When set off, you heard a VNA troop give out a big "Numba ONE!". I agreed...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Buckshot, with the shortage of primers now a days do you have any plans in the works to convert the Asperly Aimless to match ignition ?

Greatgoogleymoogley!!! Somebody done revived this again??? Do they never learn?
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Hornet, I thought it was Greatgoogleywoogley?
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by noclue View Post
    Hornet, I thought it was Greatgoogleywoogley?
    Wasn't he the interim stockmaker for Asperley?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    Greatgoogleymoogley!!! Somebody done revived this again??? Do they never learn?
    That' why they call it a "Saga".
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus

John, the saga is incomplete... Buckshot has yet to reveal his choice of cast boolit specifically designed for the Asperly Aimless. I'm dying to know if he chose the hollow point, hollow base or the hollow-side boolit? That wasp waisted hollow-side looks wicked to me!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have it on VERY good authority, that Santa Claus carries an Asperly Aimless for his protection weapon against unruly elves on Christmas eve.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast