Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Saga of the Asperly Aimless

Moderator Emeritus

My asperly has always put forth it's best groups with reynolds foil with the shiny side facing in. Any true afficionado of the aimless should try it that way. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    You all now see the sort of mindset I shoot against on Tuesdays.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    And now I supose you are gong to tell me that the AA "Everlasting" case was designed to use 5F Unique Blue-Green Dot, when everyone knows it was supposed to use Elephant 1F Loosegroup Sticks.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    To date all known Asperly Aimless firearms have been confiscated by the BATF, if you own one you'd better give it up...before they have to pry it from your cold dead hands.

The Asperly Aimless, the only firearm that gun control protects the general public...so says Congressional heads who have written special Admendments to disban them.

Jim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swagerman View Post
    To date all known Asperly Aimless firearms have been confiscated by the BATF, if you own one you'd better give it up...before they have to pry it from your cold dead hands.

The Asperly Aimless, the only firearm that gun control protects the general public...so says Congressional heads who have written special Admendments to disban them.

Jim
    Disban? The HSUS, the VPC and Sarah Brady are trying to get the current unlicensed Chinese manufacture outsourced to Bangladesh and write a Law for them to become the mandatory firearm of the CMP and all Hunter Safety Programs...
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Buddy
    Is it at all possible that the Asperly organization also made custom modifications to T/C muzzle loaders as late as the early '80s?

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Ah so, the Asperly Aimless is being copied and produced by unscrupulous Chinese capitallist, thrust upon an unsuspecting western market. The stocks are being painted with lead base paints, your child could be poisoned while teething on this firearm.

That is why the instruction broshure said: do not ever use Hoppe's No. 9 to clean the practically smooth bores. Use only Wang Foos soy sauce to swab the shallow rifling, allow sauce to drain out of barrel into family stir fried noodles. (waste not, want not)

Jim
    Last edited by Swagerman; 08-29-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swagerman View Post
    ... Use only Wang Foos soy sauce to swab the shallow rifling, allow sauce to drain out of barrel into family stir fried noodles. (waste not, want not)

AH SO! The sorution to Miclogloove fouring issues!
    Last edited by Old Ironsights; 08-29-2007 at 03:25 PM.
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    WTH are we talking about? Is this some inside joke that I've missed not being a member for years and years? It is fun reading though either way.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I distinctly remember seeing an Asperly Aimless on the wall behind the bar at the Seaman's Club in downtown Norfolk in 1962. It looked old and rusty, but that could have been from beer and drinks thrown in fights.

Boolit Master
    My Asperly Aimless is one of the rare takedown models, to wit the stock is removed while twisting the receiver in an anticlockwise (it's a rare British Model) direction while simultaneously pulling up on the retaining pin for the ramastan device. Reassembly is best facilitated with a quart of sour mash.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    WTH are we talking about?
    If you find the definition of 'iteration' to be elusive, you will probably have trouble keeping up...unless you take notes.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Buckshot,

My research has uncovered references to an exclusive club who's membership was limited to original retail purchasers of the Asperly Aimless devices. Thankfully, these memberships were offered to, rather than forced upon new owners. The marketing department wanted to ensure that owners would not feel that insult had been added to injury.

The name of the club was The Asperly Tippling & Shooting Federation, which explains the letters branded on the stock of your Asperly. Many historians have mistakenly concluded that these letters stand for Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe, which can be easily understood, given the coarse, straight-grained character of the stock wood and the unmistakable scent of creosote often encountered when one comes within a few yards of an authentic Asperly. As an aside, it's rumored that the Asperly marketing department had originally intended that the brand be applied to the "caboose", so to speak, of the club members, but this rumor has never been substantiated.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Gents: While much on this thread is enlightening, there is some additional info.that has been either omitted,withheld,or edited. For example,most researchers now agree a stock marked A T & S.F. would either be a replacement,or ,if original,would be found on one the last 23 sold. Earliest production "rifles" ,which were allocated to the leading gunscribes of the day, had B&A RR (Bangor & Aroostock)marked stocks,and these purportedly continued until the Asperly Org. fell upon hard times,and in order to economize acquired the inferior(in terms of figure and strength) A.T. & SF wood. Asperly had purchased adv.materials calling his "rifles" Model Perfect,but Geo.L.Herter obtained injunctive relief and recovery of costs. thus the adoption of the nomenclature proffered by Buckshot.. Hope this helps... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master
    Bull--

So, a stock cartouche of "BNSF" is bogus due to date conflict, then? I had a feeling that dealer was a crook. Glad I passed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Alas, I remember going through the personal effects of Dr. Murphy after his untimely death. He had been a close friend of Asperly since childhood and had (completely unknown to me) written (at Prof Asperly's request) the complete illustrated and annotated history of the Asperly Aimless concept. There were two copies of this tome in Dr. Murphy's effects. His daughter let me keep one as a reminder of our friendship. I know not what happened to the other. Mine was stolen some time ago in a home robbery while I was visiting the Asperly Museum and Barbershop. The culprit was never caught, even though the neighbors told police he was Chinese. And now we find the Chinese are making crude copies of the Asperly Aimless. Kinda makes you think doesn't it?

Phil

Boolit Master
    I had one, probably produced sometime between the first and last model. It was transferred to a gentleman of dubious ancestry who resided somewhere east of the Verdigris where it intersects with the Arkansas - hill country. I suspect that his parents may have been very closely RE-lated, if you get my drift. Anyway this fine 'gentleman' had several other models and wanted to add to his collection. He claimed that the Aimless was astoundingly accurate, mostly, in all but a few situations, most of which he had found himself in. BUT, having the opportunity acquire yet another example would surely remedy that shortcoming.

It wasn't long after that I saw his name in the Arkansas Mountain Gazette as having been done in while feuding with neighbors. A picture of the alleged scene clearly showed him with one of his Aimless's, still cocked and in the ready mode. Doubtful anyone will ever know what really transpired.

When contacted about the alleged incident, Professor Asperly indicated that this fine gentleman should have had the upper hand, what with being so aptly armed. The only thing that could possibly explain his untimely demise is that the perpetrator very well had another model of the very same.

I saved the article. Let's see, it's around here somewhere....

Moderator Emeritus

Phil, did you get to see the used book store in the back half of the museum/Barbershop? I found a copy of Safari by Keith in there for $4.00 but passed as it had a couple of bullet holes making it unreadable. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Yes I saw that MT Gianni, and passed on it for the same reason. They also had a copy of Sharpe's book on handloading signed by Sharpe and dedicated to J.B. Smith for a mere pittance but I passed on it as the cover was mostly burned away.

What did you think of Asperly African display? A number of quite interesting trophies I thought.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master

Note that before the "Everlasting" cartridge was invented, Dr. Asperly spent precious resources attempting to develop a reloadable brass cartridge and automatic swaging/reloading system...

Last edited by Old Ironsights; 08-31-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    1.618034 Fnord

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast