MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Saga of the Asperly Aimless

Super Moderator

Saga of the Asperly Aimless

...........Note: The idea came from an early "Handloader" or "Rifle" magazine, and the title of the article therein was the 'Asperly Aimless'.

My iteration consisted of 3 posts on the "Single Shot" forum at the old Shooters.com BB. These were dated from Jan 12th to Jan 16th, 1998.

..........I recently came across the name of Proff Brutus Asperly in some casual reading, and recalled his remarkable firearms invention, the Asperly Aimless series of rifles. In fact I had been almost successfull in expunging from my memory the fact that I did in fact still own one. I felt that by now I might be safe in re-aquainting myself with the piece.

I then went outside and removed the Asperly from where it was propping up a corner of my wife's potting bench. As I stood there holding it, my mind went back to when it had become mine. I'm sure all of you can recall such incidents yourselves. I had the 'Need', and you know how that goes. The haggleing was long and drawn out. Both the owner and I were growing weary of the back and forth offers and counter offers. It was becoming acrimonious and I could get him to go no higher.

Giving up, I pocketed his hard earned $30 and shouldering the Asperly, I went home. Reference material on these is scarce to the point of being non-existant. I suppose it wasn't well advertised and owners may have been reluctant to mention owning one?

Regardless, I have done my best in determining the model of which I became the owner. I have come to beleive that this is the Asperly Grande Deluxe Spontaneous Model, MkII. The Target version at that. I further believe it had been owned by a target shooting team, as the initials AT&SF are branded into the stock. As further evidence of it being a target model, what I thought at first were spare cartridge recepticals are in fact places for addition weight.

There are 4 such places and after much experimentation I have found that cheap and easy to come by railroad spikes fit handily into each hole. This allows weight regulation. The stock is also very well weatherproofed. The stock is also fully checkered in what appears to be the rasp and hammer method, an early forerunner of the more common impressed type checkering.

Beyond assertaining it to be the Target version, strong evidence of it being also of Grande Deluxe lineage (and the MkII at that) is how the stamped sheet metal breech block and cotter key breech locking device are both fully engraved. Bear in mind too that the cotter key is retained by a BRASS bead chain. The engraving is very tastefully done with what was apparently a prick punch and single jack.

As an example, on the side of the action, what some have thought to be a dog pointing at a turkey, is in fact a dog pointing. However under close examination it comes to light that he is using his left rear leg to point not at a turkey but a bush. There must be quail under it. Scenes of this type are not often seen on the more mundane firearms.

To leave the firearm for a moment, we should know the reason for the good proffessors developement of these rather unique firearms. While not a hunter or even a 'Gun Guy' himself, he felt that there was no longer any real sport in game hunting with the modern cartridges available. Add to that the magic of rangefinding scopes, scent killing clothes, etc and etc. In addition to that, with such things, the poor hunter's entire experience is over way too fast. So our exceptional Prof Brutus Asperly conjured up a means to give both the game animal and the hunter a much richer experience.

In the next installment I'll explain and describe the rather unusual sights, loading proceedure, and if I feel up to it we might even fire it.

....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Aimless

Outstanding!

Please Continue!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Breathlessly awaiting next Aimless installment.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    I have one of those. I have always had a keen eye for such treasures.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    Buckshot you are entirely correct about the 4 railroad spikes being used for additional weight. Mine came with the super rare spiking attachment. This allows one to remove the 4 spikes and spike the asperly aimless to the ground for more stable and accurate shooting. I always thought the dog was peeing on the bush rather than pointing at it. Unfortunately I had to sell it as the wheels kept coming off and at my advanced age found it difficult to chase after it when it rolled down hill. Sincerely, Phineas Fartblat ESQ.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Please, carry on!

Boolit Master
    This opening chapter has caused me to miss my after breakfast nap. Buckshot, please don't torture me this way. Bring the next one on!!

The Asperly Aimless that I recall reading about in the Journal of Irreproducible Results was intended to fire ammo with very tough primers. It had an external hammer that weighed - as I recall - 9 pounds.

I seem to sort of remember reading in Guns and Ammo about fall of 1973 ( I was in the EM Club bar in San Diego ) about the original .45-.22 Asperly Aimless (.22 rimfire necked up). Is yours still in the original caliber or is it a rebore?? We want loading info...
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    So, tell me why I can't find the first reference to this firearm on the internet.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jim, the reason is, Buckshot is the world's foremost authority, and he has kept most of the research secret. He wouldn't want anyone reproducing these valuable collectors items.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...

Talking

Very few posts anywhere have caused me to need to wipe my keyboard/monitor.

Congratulations.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Buddy
    Ooooh, an Asperly MkII Deluxe! Those things sometimes turn up, like bad (very bad) pennies. I own a Chinese air rifle that may have been designed with help from Asperly.........

Boolit Master

Without pics Buckshot I find myself amonst the un-beleiving.

In fact, I shall at this time announce to the world that I am sure you are lying.

How can you possibly try to get us to think you have a Deluxe model, and a target one to boot!

The gall! The termerity! I am disgusted. After all, anyone who has ever actually handled one knows that they use five railroad spikes, not four!

What are you thinking man? How, oh how can you try to decive us in this most unethical manner?

And to think I was just preparing to write you into my will. Well, that's never gonna hap . . . oh no. I just had a thought. Does yours use four spikes because it's equipped with a suppressor?

Oh the shame of it all.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I bet with the railroad spikes attached it makes the new Assault Weapons ban list.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Next thing you know, someone will call R.J. Poteet a liar. Then the fat will hit the frying pan.

Super Moderator

...........I can assure one and all that it is real, and in fact I shot it today. Those of you who read this and remembered you had one, I commiserate. I know that the average age of cast boolit disciple is slightly , ah, er .......... advanced. And I apologize for your having had to crawl under the house, jack up the outhouse, or drain the cesspool in order to find your Asperly to determine which model it might be.

A bit more history. As mentioned previously Proff Asperly desired to increase the hunter's length of time in the field, and to enhance the "Fair Chase" aspect of hunting season. To this end he created the vaunted "Totally Random Shot Placement Theory". He also carried this over to his target rifles.

Inasmuch as he felt that underachievers, or those who didn't practice sufficiently should have the the same chance as those who applied themselves and worked dilligently, the TRSPT target rear sight would be a big seller at the range. As you may have noted, this is serious business as it has been adopted in our schools. So as you might have gathered by thsi time, Porff Asperly was well ahead of his time.

As I previously mentioned, I beleive my Apserly is the Asperly Grande Deluxe Spontaneous Model, MkII (target version). I say 'believe' as info is sketchy and also the rifles were assembled by committee, so finding any 2 alike is extremely slim. In addition the good proffessor being the humaitarian he was, used the handicapped to a great degree. As those poor folks being blind are discriminated against to a great degree in the manufacturing sector, they formed the larger part of the workforce.

To get on with it, I did take it out and shoot it. If no one gives me too much grief I'll explain why doing your target shooting inside a barn or a 2 car garage is the best.

The cartridge cases were called the "Everlasting" type, as they require no strenuous resizing. After firing you merely drag the now empty 'case' out with you fish gutting blade, bent tine of a salad fork, or the common fingernail will suffice. The cases are made using the cheap and ever available aluminum foil. The spent primer usually just falls out. Shake the foil out to clean and re-wrap around the supplied wooden mandrel to reform.

The other end of the madrel has a cavity to 'wad' the foil up, and form the primer pocket and a pick to puncture through the flash hole. I personally prefer Reynolds Quilted foil to be the best. For fixed ammunition the boolit is best held by Lepage's library paste or 2lb monofiliment. If using the monofiliment a double clove hitch on a half bite, finished off with a bowline gives it a nice florish to the completed round.

However, I much prefered to breech seat as the target shooting greats of yore practiced. However if you shoot this way your targets had to all be uphill, and it worked well for targets in trees. I sometimes used targets tacked up over the bottom cross arms on telephone poles. Otherwise, if the muzzle was lowered the boolit had a bad habit of slidding out the muzzle onto the ground.

To overcome this, you MUST paper patch. I find that 1 sheet of 2 ply bathroom tissue (like me you'll probably prefer white, unscented) works great merely chewed thoroughly with common mouth variety saliva. This wad is then inserted first into the breech and pushed home with the case extracting tool (finger, fork, fish gutting knifeblade, stick, whatever). Then the boolit and then the freshly made case.

Once these actions are completed, the breechpiece is swung over, which cocks the action and totally randomizes the floating apurture of the rear sight. If you don't see the aputure at the time, don't worry as it will put in an appearance at some point. You then drop the cotter pin on it's bead chain throught the 2 holes to lock the breechpiece, and you're ready to fire.

I'm still recovering a bit and tired so I'll have to post about the shooting tomorrow or so.

.....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus
    Are you absolutely sure that its an Asperly Buckshot?

Sounds more like a Lee Custom job.

Pictures my man pictures!

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

Wink You SHOT that thing!

You shot that thing!! NO! At least, not until you finish my crimper!!!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

At last

Thanks B'shot, it was worth the sleepless night.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast