Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dipping makes better bullets that a bottom pour pot but why?

Banned

rick i hope that doesnt mean I HAVE to post things that are worthwhile too
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    One member here has a PhD in heavy metals and has the same misinformation that we have said, he even wrote a book on the subject, buy hey what could he know huh.

Since your lead is laying in wait to get you perhaps casting isn't for you, much too risky you know. Also, there are forums that thrive on cast bullet old wives tales, perhaps they would like to hear it. You have 4 posts here and every one of them is an attempt to put forth an old wives tale that with nothing more than a little common sense and the normal safety precautions is insignificant. I for one would like to see you contribute something worthwhile.

On another subject, do you shoot at an indoor range?

Rick

Banned
    Been making bullets for 40 years. The have done the dipping as well as the bottom pour pot. I have personally found no difference in the bullets. Its just so much easier filling a 4 cavity mold using a bottom pour pot. The new Ballisti-cast will make the process so much nicer and easier.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    rick i hope that doesnt mean I HAVE to post things that are worthwhile too
    Only if you start perpetuating old wives tales.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think Lloyd will start telling old wives tales.

I think he and I can agree with each other that if one of us starts the other will be the first to grab a rope.

Boolit Grand Master

the wives tales on here will never stop. What about some who wont use wws because the impuritys in them wear our barrels and even this one that bottom pour pots cant make quality bullets
    The old wives tale that you shouldn't use WW is one that I'm kinda fond of, leaves more for me.

One of the below boolits was bottom poured, the other was ladle cast . . . tell me which is which!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP 45 Cal 270 SAA -small.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	67084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0769-124.jpg 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	67085

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005-06-30_132917_DSCN0769-9.jpg  
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

The boollit on left was bottom poured because you have a dirt speck in it and base is not perfectly square.

You guys sound like a bunch of old wives.

Boolit Grand Master

That's not a speck of dirt, both bullets were sized and that's a bit of lube from the die.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    My suggestion is for everyone but me to bottom pour when shooting BPCR. I bottom poured cast bullets since 1965 when in the AMU for the army. I never ladle poured until I started long range BPCR shooting in the late 90's. (No the 1990's not 1890's). I don't know of any one of the top competitors that shoot any bullets with antimony in them nor do I know any that don't ladle cast. The only time any one of us has ever had problems with high lead levels is when shooting in an indoor range. None of us have any idea whether it is from lead splatter against the steel back stops or if it is from primer dust but it really only matters that it is from an indoor range. Some of our IDPA friends cast a tremendous amount of bullets compared to my Bullseye, BPCR, and occasional twice a month steel plate shoots and they have never had a problem with lead poisoning because they never shoot indoors. -- Bill --

Boolit Master

I read that there is a .00000000000000001% chance that a huge asteroid will hit the earth this year. Technically correct, but not something I'm going to waste time worrying about.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banned

you must have spent an hour polishing those pretty bullets!
    That's not a speck of dirt, both bullets were sized and that's a bit of lube from the die.

Rick

Boolit Grand Master

you must have spent an hour polishing those pretty bullets!
    Polishing?? Not hardly, they are as cast & sized without lube. Alloy is clip-on WW with 2% Sn added. One of them was bottom poured & the other ladle cast.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Polishing?? Not hardly, they are as cast & sized without lube. Alloy is clip-on WW with 2% Sn added. One of them was bottom poured & the other ladle cast.

Rick
    Please let me know what pain killers you are on so that I can request the same from my Dr.

Banned
    The old wives tale that you shouldn't use WW is one that I'm kinda fond of, leaves more for me.

One of the below boolits was bottom poured, the other was ladle cast . . . tell me which is which!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP 45 Cal 270 SAA -small.JPG 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	67084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0769-124.jpg 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	67085

Rick
    I can get the same shinney bullets from my bottom pour pot....so this means nothing to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Please let me know what pain killers you are on so that I can request the same from my Dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I can get the same shinney bullets from my bottom pour pot....so this means nothing to me.
    I can't imagine what it is your trying to say. Neither of these posts make a lick of sense.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm; The rifle boolet is the ladle poured?

Hey, I've got a 50/50 chance of being correct......
    Bob

Boolit Mold
    While I may not have a BS in chemistry or a phd in "heavy metals" (find me an accredited institution that grants that phd and I'll send you 5 dollars) I did minor in chemistry while in college. It's true I haven't had an account on this forum until recently but I have been lurking awhile and have gained other useful info. The fact that I'm a forum newbie in no way discounts the SCIENTIFIC evidence that I have provided that shows that lead vapor does exist at casting temperatures. The only "evidence" I've seen contrary to that is that "it's an old wives tale" and "some guy who's writing a book about this said so".

Even ignoring all that please find where I said you should panic and never cast again because the evil lead will invade your brain. I was merely pointing out that the statement "Lead does not evaporate at anything even close to casting temps" was incorrect. I even provided proof. Nowhere did I say you should stop all activity because you'll immediately get lead poisoning which you imply that I said. The fact that lead vapors exists is merely ANOTHER REASON why good habits should be used. To say otherwise is incorrect. I don't understand why you guys are so invested in telling people that lead vapors don't exist.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't imagine what it is your trying to say. Neither of these posts make a lick of sense.

Rick
    +1, and I take pain killers everyday!
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbukers View Post
    While I may not have a BS in chemistry or a phd in "heavy metals" (find me an accredited institution that grants that phd and I'll send you 5 dollars) I did minor in chemistry while in college. It's true I haven't had an account on this forum until recently but I have been lurking awhile and have gained other useful info. The fact that I'm a forum newbie in no way discounts the SCIENTIFIC evidence that I have provided that shows that lead vapor does exist at casting temperatures. The only "evidence" I've seen contrary to that is that "it's an old wives tale" and "some guy who's writing a book about this said so".

Even ignoring all that please find where I said you should panic and never cast again because the evil lead will invade your brain. I was merely pointing out that the statement "Lead does not evaporate at anything even close to casting temps" was incorrect. I even provided proof. Nowhere did I say you should stop all activity because you'll immediately get lead poisoning which you imply that I said. The fact that lead vapors exists is merely ANOTHER REASON why good habits should be used. To say otherwise is incorrect. I don't understand why you guys are so invested in telling people that lead vapors don't exist.
    I posted facts that show the insignificance of lead vapors at casting temps.

Did you read that post? it appears that you did not.

A difference of about 10^8 in vapor pressure between lead at casting temps and water at room temp. Technically it happens but that doesn't make it relevant.

Technically we are all dying from conception on but we don't buy funeral plots as baby gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbukers View Post
    ....Even if you don't believe that there is observational data that shows that lead vapor exists at normal casting temperatures. All 5 studies agree, and the saturated vapor pressure at 700 F is around 1.0e-5 Pa. That number is not zero. Non-zero vapor pressure means that there is lead vapor at that temperature.
    .000001 pa, is roughly equal to .00986 micrograms per cubic meter of air... OSHA maximum contaminant limits for 8 hours exposure is 50 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

Does lead evaporate at casting temps, yes, on a technical basis. But then again water evaporates at 14 degrees (yes, that be ice) too. (roughly 2759847micrograms per cubic meter of air... really happy water isn't toxic)

So, the evaporation at casting temp is miniscule.. and not really even worth worrying about. I am more concerned with washing my hands then having an exhaust fan directly over my melting pot to remove lead vapor.. (it would be nice to remove the other smoke from fluxing..and stirring the pot with wood sticks... though)

Thanks for the good reason to dig into this...
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Technically we are all dying from conception on but we don't buy funeral plots as baby gifts.
    That's signature line material right there if I've ever seen it!
    Bob

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast