WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jon-e hand warmer

Boolit Master

jon-e hand warmer

Does anyone know if jon-e handwarmers are still made. I have a large size warmer and would like to use it for opening turkey season.I heard it's supposed to be cold and rainy for the first time period in Wisconsin.I hate being cold.What I 'm looking for it the fluid.I read on several web sites that Zippo lighter fluid can be used.I did a search on the web and did not see a jon-e manufacture web site.Mainly Ebay and Amazon and a few others offering advice,reviews and sales.I see that Cabela's has a Zippo brand handwarmer.According to the reviews,some like it,some don't.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Been using Ronsonol (Zippo lighter fluid) in my Jon-E handwarmer for better than 30yrs, works well & has given me 0 problems. Far as I know, the handwarmer I got from my Grandpa was used the same way for lord only knows how long & it still works.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Thanks Roy.I will stop and pick up some lighter fluid on the way home from work tommorrow.And I like your signature.Some old Native American wisdom it very true.
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    I found one of these hand warmers in my Dads gun cabinet a while back and wondered if it worked good or if anyone used them anymore. Seeing this post answers both my questions lol!

Boolit Master
    I have used them in the past and they work very good. But I always seem to have a problem with the lighting of them.That's why I haven't used it for a while.Once you have them going,you won't want to be with out one. As I stated before,I hate being cold,so I just don't ice fish anymore and kind of reluctant to hunt when it's cold.
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I use the chemical hand warmers, they work very well and only cost about a buck. They will last up to 10 hours.

This past winter had furnal duty with our local Legion and it was around 0 degrees, hands were warm the whole time. Ever try standing at attention for 1/2 hour in 0 degrees?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

zippo makes a hand warmer much like the old ones. However I'll be darned if I can get the things to work, which is the only difference. The old ones worked !!

Banned

I still have three, use Coleman fuel.
    A side note was the Deer Coy lure that you warmed with the warmer. I found dribbling it on the trail to a scrape brought in bucks and doe even before I was fully ready with my bow in the stand. It was so good it turned 5 doe from 100 yards to go to the scrape. A buck would lick every drop on the trail. I shot many bucks using the stuff and it was and will always be the best ever. A loss I never got over.

Boolit Master

I have never used anything but lighter fluid in my hand warmer. Never thought about Coleman fuel. I will have to try that as I suspect it is much cheaper than lighter fluid.

The chemical warmers only last about an hour each. I can fill my Jon-e up and it will last at least 5 hrs. and it costs much less than a buck.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    I stop at a Wally World grocery stop and asked about lighter fluid such as what is used in a Zippo lighter.Several people kind of looked at me funny and said " whats a Zippo lighter"?After explaining,they said all they could think of was charcoal lighter.That kind of got me wondering,would charcoal lighter fluid work?.I did find some lighter fluid at a local Walgreen drug store.
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

Liter fluid=Naptha
    Coleman fuel=Naptha
    White Gas=Naptha

Around here we can still buy white gas/Naptha at the pump. Last I got any about a month ago it was less than $5.00 a gal.

Perma-Banned

I have two of the zippo handwarmers. They are harder to light compared to the old jon e handwarmers but once they are lit they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I stop at a Wally World grocery stop and asked about lighter fluid such as what is used in a Zippo lighter.Several people kind of looked at me funny and said " whats a Zippo lighter"?After explaining,they said all they could think of was charcoal lighter.That kind of got me wondering,would charcoal lighter fluid work?.I did find some lighter fluid at a local Walgreen drug store.
    Every WalMart I've ever been in has a tobacco at the front of the store, pipe, cigeretts, cigars, liters, etc., etc. Thats where you will find liter fluid.

Charcoal liter fluid will not work, its more in the neighborhood of mineral spirts.

In Remembrance

Here in Michigan, and raised on a dairy farm, there was always some kind of cold outside job to do in the winter. We had 4 of the warmers and at least 2 were in use every day when it was cold. Now days I use the chemical type as they are easier to carry and get warmth out of in a hurry. I`ve seen warmer fluid in K-Mart, Meijers and even Wal - Mart stores in the last year or so.Robert

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Be cautious using the new lighter fluids. Some of them are now "green", and don't even work well in a Zippo lighter.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    .....The chemical warmers only last about an hour each. I can fill my Jon-e up and it will last at least 5 hrs. and it costs much less than a buck.
    Switch brands or make sure you buy fresh ones. They work great. I buy them by the case from Amazon. I keep hand warmers in each front pocket and toe warmers in each boot. I take bunches of heart medications, and chemical warmers have allowed me to hunt in cold weather.

I used to have a Jon-E, but I didn't like walking around with a fire in my pocket....

Banned

The Jon-E needs to be in a pocket or it will go out. It needs the cover. There is no flame, it is catalytic and the element must be kept hot.
    Yes, Coleman fuel fuel is naptha and so is Jon-E fluid. It has no lead or any of the other junk added for engine fuel that will ruin the element.

Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post

The chemical warmers only last about an hour each. I can fill my Jon-e up and it will last at least 5 hrs. and it costs much less than a buck.
    The chemical ones I buy from WalMart last 8 to 12 hours. Inexpensive too 30 for $15.00.

Boolit Master

I use the chemical handwarmers called "Hot Hands" I have a pair of hunting gloves that are mitten type, with a pocket on the back of the finger mitt that one of these will slip into. The mitt part can be pulled back over the finger gloves. Even though we don't get really cold temps down here ~20-30 is really low, they keep my fingers warm. The chem warmers last about 8 hours in my experience. Buy them in bulk from Academy and there are very reasonable. I also have a couple of the old metal hand warmers at the camp. Not sure what brand. Never been satisfied with them.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast