RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: economics

In Remembrance

economics

At what price does rimfire have to be, before it is more economical to load something the 17 or 22 centerfire calibers?

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

All depends on what one paid for the reloading components. In my case, .22 Long Rifle would have to be less than $10.00 a brick. But then I purchased my components years ago, all on sale or on closeouts.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    For me it's about $25 per brick and I can load the 22H for about the same. Primers about $.03 and powder at $25 per lb is about 3gr per penny. A 40gr cast boolit almost doesn't count, so 5 cents for a 22LR or 5 cents for a 40gr 22H at 1800fps. Folks used to scoff when i said I could shoot 22H cheaper than they could shoot 22Mag. Now it's 22LR. It's real easy to beat the $45+ per brick the scalpers are getting. My 25/20 isn't much more than the Hornet. I think break even is about $25 per brick at current powder/primer cost assuming you could find any.

Right now it is costing me less then 10 cents a round for .44. That is figuring $150.00 for 8#'s of Unique and I am even figuring $50.00 a thousand on primer although I have not paid that. At those prices it come to $.07 a round not including the cost to melt lead which is reclaimed range scrap. When loading with W296 it probably doubles the cost of powder.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Heck, you can shoot a .38 Special for under a dime a round -- .360 round ball or #000 buckshot (size by pushing through a chamber of the suitably supported cylinder, if nothing better is available) or lightweight boolit, a couple grains of Bullseye or similar, and a primer. Don't even need dies, as long as you always shoot them in the same gun, just a punch to knock out the primer, a case-sized dowel and mallet (and a hard flat surface) to seat the new one, an old .22 case soldered to a straightened paper clip and filed down to throw the desired power charge, and the same punch used to knock out the primer can put a light stab crimp, right into the ball, three places to keep everything together (this is an old gun writer's load, I don't recall which one).

Quieter than a .22 LR in the same length barrel, and at today's prices should cost between six and eight cents a round; accurate enough to make aiming pay off (no one-hole groups at 25 yards, but minute of soda can at twenty feet if you pay attention). That was competitive with .22 even when a 50 box of the cheap stuff cost $2.29; it makes rimfire look silly in today's market.

Boolit Master
    Starmac,

I personally feel it goes a bit beyond just the dollars and cents laid out, to what you get for the buck.

I like .22 rimfires, have a GREAT SHOOTING Clark Custom RUGER 77/22 and a couple great shooting RUGER M II.

However, if you look at any distance being factored in, wind is a real bitter pill, and can be so even at short ranges with the .22 rimfire.

So, for me, I simply do not go there when it comes to such cartridges as the .17 rimfires or .22 mag rimfires.

No offense intended to those that like and enjoy those rounds! This is just where I come down.

When I am paying whatever the "normal" -- this is not a "normal" time as per ammo costs! - happens to be for .17 or .22 mag rimfire ammo, I am just to close to where a bit more cost just give me a huge amount more for the buck.

Time at the loading bench is a non-issue. I enjoy that time and there is no way to figure the dollar amount.

Many centerfires which would be my choice for anything beyond the .22LR.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

About 7 cents a round, I'd say. My favorite cheap round is .32 S&W Long. Using 1.8 grains of Red Dot and an 80 grain boolit, the primer is the most expensive part of the load. Being the farsighted individual that I am, I'm still working on SP primers that were $15/1000, and powder that was $14.95/lb., and scrap lead I bought at about .80 a pound, so my .32 loads might cost about 6 cents a round, factoring in fuel for smelting and casting. And the .32 in a good boy's rifle will do a close-range chuck about as well as the .22 rimfire will. Limiting usage to garden defense, powder, primers and shot that will fit into a shoebox will last me the rest of my life and maybe the next generation too, if they're frugal.
    Cognitive Dissident

Other than for night time varmint hunting (must be rimfire here) I load my .223 down to 1275 fps. It might not be quite as cheap as .22 LR, but mines super consistent with less than 11 SD on a 10 shot string typically. Just 4.1 gr. Unique and a 45 gr. bullet. I can pretty much put 5 though the same hole.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been waiting half my life to get an Anschutz 22 for some seriously accurate but easy on the pocket book plinking and friendly competition. Now that I have finally done it, I find that the price of a brick of high end competition rimfire ammunition is the same price that I can reload 500 centerfire 308 cartridges. Even the mid priced 22 match ammunition is 2/3 of the price of reloaded centerfire cartridges. Doesn't seem right somehow. On the plus side, at least you can find and buy high priced match 22 ammo. Still, backing off a bit in accuracy and using CCI or Eley Sport 22 ammo is a mere pittance still compared to reloading centerfire.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Master
    A nickle is about my teetering point for rimfire and I doubt we will ever see those prices again. In about 1983 my wife loaded up on CCI primers for $4.95 per 1K net cost to our door. I'm still shooting them, next batch is $10.00 per K, then $15.00 per K. Powder for most of my plinking stuff is about a half a cent per round, left over kegs of shotgun powder from the old days. Figuring in lube and LP to smelt I'm going to round up high to $0.05 or a nickle per round. Now fast forward to these group buy mold days my cast bullet rounds probably cost me a buck a round. Still nothing nicer than a 22 rimfire that will stack them in one hole at 50yard.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been loading 9mm for $34/K, 3.4 cents per round for a long time. Got components when primers were $95 per 5K. Using American Select bought in 8# cans and 125 grain cast boolits. The whole family love them. Our .38 load is nearly the same. All five us of pitch in for the reloading. It's a good family time.
    "He who walks with the wise grows wise,
    but a companion of fools suffers harm."
    Proverbs 13:20

Well it's hard to say. I said years back I was going to stop shooting my 410 due to high cost but I'm still pulling the trigger at a buck plus a pop for slugs and buck loads just not as often as I use to. I just made the choice to start reloading the 410 but wouldn't you know I'd pick the time when press and supplies are slim and way over priced. So I'm on hold with my reloading plans until this madness is over at that point I'll buy gear for reloading and stock 22lr deep for cost control.

Boolit Master
    Yep Swampman! Makes sense, and as you already know, pretty hard to have an over supply of .22LR in hand.

CDOC

Banned
    Five cents a round for 9mm, 40S&W, 38Spl for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Yep Swampman! Makes sense, and as you already know, pretty hard to have an over supply of .22LR in hand.

CDOC
    I'm lucky I had a nice stash of 22lr before this madness started to hold me over. Let's face it the older I get the cheaper I get so buying for price control will serve me well years down the road.

In Remembrance
    All you guys keep patting yourselves on the back for buying cheap components years ago, we are all real proud of you, but that doesn't answer the OP which has to do I'm sure with current prices.

For me, small pistol primers at about 4 cents, and 5 or so grains of Unique negligible...free lead picked up at range...cases already on hand....38 special is cheaper than the $8/100 I find .22lr going for these days...when you can find it.

In Remembrance
    At my currant usage of 22 rimfire my ammo on hand will probably outlast me. I am not even sure what all calibers can be down loaded to compete with rimfires for hunting purposes, but am thinking some can be loaded cheaper than 22 magnum prices.

The ccm cooper round has peaked my interest, as it is just basically a reloadable 22 mag.

Boolit Master
    If you are casting your own boolits, then most anything can be shot cheaper than 22LR at $50 or more per brick. The little ones are more effecient and cheaper ( 22H,25/20,32/20) but almost any rifle can be shot cheaply by casting your own and keeping velocity in the 22LR range. I am shooting a 30/30 with a 150gr boolit at about 1900 fps for about 13cents per round and 10cents is powder. Drop down to 2 to 3cents of unique and you have 22lr speed with a 150gr boolit. Accuracy is under 1/2" at 50yds which is better than most 22s will shoot. I can get 125yd performance from my 25/20s for 6 to 7 cents per round at current powder/primer prices and in a 92 Win it's a hoot to shoot.
    The ccm cooper would be neat if there were plenty of inexpensive guns available and brass was available. I would go with a 22H as guns and components are a lot more available.

Boolit Master
    OK guys, here again I see people short cutting and leaving some of us behind.

What is a "ccm cooper"?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=1#post144124

There's Bullshop's explanation.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast