Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why 22lr are bought up for ?

Why 22lr are bought up for ?

I do not know if this was ask before. I like to know what all think why there is a lack of 22lr and also what is the reason for it.I know there is some buy to resell and some just to store up.But dose anyone know what is the main reason for it . I understand about the 223 ammo and others centerfire. But for the rimfire is what I asking what every one think why it is being bought up so fast and for how long it been like that.
    Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Because lean manufacturing and just in time distribution techniques have left the supply unable to accommodate spikes in demand. If a million shooters buy an extra brick in January, just for insurance, they have just used up over a months worth of normal supply for the entire country.

Boolit Master
    Was the least expensive for most to shoot.

Low recoil so good to learn with without developing flinching due to recoil and report.

In general .22 firearms are less expensive than center fire ones.

Brass is not reloadable so no concerns about finding brass thrown everywhere by semi autos.

Non reloadable means that it is only produced by the major ammo plants.

Reloading companies ,even large ones are not very likely to start producing .22 rimfire ammo. Now if someone developed a .22 LR case which used a SP primer perhaps.

Center-fires is loaded by individuals and numerious reloading companies.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Buddy

Because God is great, beer is good and people are crazy. Centerfire prices go up and availability goes down, so people buy rimfire to be able to continue shooting. Rimfire prices go up and availability goes down, so people panic and buy everything they can find, even if they don't need it. When supply once again meets demand there will be a lot of people sitting on a gold mine of ammo only to find out it's fool's gold.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

OK. We now know about 22lr's . Lets try to explain the primer and percussion cap shortages !!!-----------------Papa Smurf ---again

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
    OK. We now know about 22lr's . Lets try to explain the primer and percussion cap shortages !!!-----------------Papa Smurf ---again
    Lean manufacturing and just in time distribution techniques have left the supply unable to accommodate spikes in demand.

Boolit Grand Master

Newbee reloaders! I worry about them!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Newbee reloaders! I worry about them!
    1Shirt!
    You are right on that there is alot that is getting into it and alot are not gettting the manuals to do the reloading also. That is the sad part of it all.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    In regards to primer supplies, the companies are diverting them to their own ammo production lines. Greater profit margin in selling completed cartridges than components.
    Got-R-Did.

ADMIN

I can't reload 22lr. So if walmart has them for $13 for winchester 333 i buy them. Had 17 boxes down to just 10 now.
    Ammo stores for a very long time so buy it while its cheap or when you can afford it.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    I think a lot of people are getting tired of getting caught with their pants down combined with who knows what anti gun/ammo law will pop up next. This is causing a lot of new "hoarders'. Me, I'm an old hoarder that got caught about 40 years ago and it ain't happening again. Can you imagine what even a proposed per round ammo tax would do. A tax of $.05 per round wouldn't affect a box of 30/06 too much, but how about a brick of 22LR. And there is the idea that 22LR is the survivalist ammo of choice and it's not easily reloadable and probably a few other reasons as well.

Boolit Buddy
    RBuck is correct. My Mentor advised me long ago that ammunition would become it's own currency and he said to buy it cheap and stack it deep. I am ever grateful for that insight, and I listened. I, too, was caught unawares with the primer shortage in the late 90s and bought as many as I could afford for the next few years. I am waiting out this last shortage quite comfortably, and handloading just like there was no crisis.
    As for .22 LR being the choice of survivalists, I can certainly see the utility. It can take most small game humanely for eating and can be quite effective in self defense. Easy enough to carry 500+ rounds in a ruck sack; something I don't want to imagine with a centerfire rifle cartridge such as 5.56X45,.308 or .30-06.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master
    In a genuine survival situation I suspect 'humaneness' would be far down the list below effectiveness.

Boolit Master
    My brother sent me a link about the making of a 22lr by CCI.In the video, it was stated that they make 4 million 22lr a day.If CCI makes 4 mil a day,what are Remington,Winchester,Federal,Ely,and the others putting out a day?
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master

Estimates are that the USA (in times of normal demand) uses 3.5 billion rounds of .22LR a year. That's about 292 million a month. So if a million shooters got concerned and bought an extra brick when the Democrats started talking about gun control and ammo taxes, they used up a month and a half of the available national supply. And that is on top of the normal demand for 292 million rounds...

Looking at the low feedback numbers of .22 RF sellers on Gunbroker, I'm inclined to think that some portion of the shortage is amateur arbitragers, (scalpers) buying from retailer to sell online. I'm still seeing bricks of Thunderbolt for Heaven's sake going for $100, and that's before shipping! Nothing fundamentally wrong with scalping, mind you. It's what economists call a "market clearing mechanism" which drives demand and supply into equilibrium. What should be happening is that the retailers should be charging a lot more, but they're afraid to take heat for "gouging". Such is the fundamental ignorance of economics on this land of low information voters.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I'm kind of like rbuck351, I'm an old horder. Considering the prices I paid for my primers and powder 20 or more years ago, which was dirt cheap compared to now. I can load 38 specials for about what 22 shells were selling for then, and for quite a bit less than 22 shells are selling for today. Yes I have a few 22 shells stored up and I don't want to say how many. Have you ever noticed what the news media says when a guy is charge with a crime, " this guy had 5 or 6 hundred rounds of ammo stored in his garage, he could be a real threat to society, it's a good thing he was cought when he was" or "this guy had an arsonal he must of had at least 6 guns in his house and one of them was black". These are not the exact words the media uses but you get the drift.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I always laugh when I hear one of those news reports. Only my closest friends and family get to see my little stockpile. They used to make fun of me before this latest shortage, guess who is smiling now?

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    Because God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.
    should be a sticky somewhere for words to live by

I had a huge supply of 22lr (for me as I don't shoot it much). For giggles I put 1650 rounds of Federal I paid $12 @ my LGS in 2010 at thier truckload sale on Gunbroker. It went for $110 a box plus they paid shipping. $330 for something I paid $36 for. Tempted to sell 6500 more to pay for reloading equipment (lee collet die for 308, case prep center, stainless media, wet tumbler and a single stage set up for 308) since I am one of the dreaded "newbs"....I have manuals and read them

I felt a tinge of guilt...for a second. Free market and I wasn't scalping. Just selling off what I had available.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast