Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doctors and guns

Boolit Bub

Doctors and guns

I was asked the "are there firearms in the home" question by a nurse filling forms in my Doctor's office and refused to answer. Since then I've printed out the following and carry a copy on all medical appointments. To the best of my research it is true and valid:

The problem is that Senate amendment 3276, Sec. 2716, part c.only relates to the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare):

(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS- A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to–`(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully-possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or`(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.`(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION- None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any information relating to–`(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;`(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or`(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.`(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS- None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition.`(4) LIMITATION ON DETERMINATION OF PREMIUM RATES OR ELIGIBILITY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE- A premium rate may not be increased, health insurance coverage may not be denied, and a discount, rebate, or reward offered for participation in a wellness program may not be reduced or withheld under any health benefit plan issued pursuant to or in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act on the basis of, or on reliance upon–`(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or`(B) the lawful use or storage of a firearm or ammunition.`(5) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIVIDUALS- No individual shall be required to disclose any information under any data collection activity authorized under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to–`(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or`(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition.’.

Video link: http://wizbangblog.com/2013/01/10/ob...-registration/

Boolit Master

Good for you, Lon246, if enough of us carry and use the above information, maybe the medical marvels will get the picture. We don't want them in our homes, snooping about.
    Jack
    and thanks for the effort of getting the info for use.
    JS
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Only issue I've is that 3 of the 5 available are competing for " resources". They keep pestering the GF about "resources".
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

they just check the yes box when you do that.

I used to carry a similar card that had the privacy act of 1974 on it. It didnt prevent me from having to give the state my SSN. It didnt prevent anyone from asking for my ssn and it didnt sway one single person/company. Your only real option is to lie, i dont think of it negatively if it will effect you negatively for saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    Good for you, Lon246, if enough of us carry and use the above information, maybe the medical marvels will get the picture. We don't want them in our homes, snooping about.
    Jack
    JS

It is not illegal to lie to a doctor. There are some grey areas regarding lying about being a smoker or drug user, But those are more related to your health insurance than any law. Lying on the application to get insurance is another story. Altho something that would not effect your insurance rate can only result in termination or the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    Jack
    JS

BOCare will ask that question when you apply. It's already on the prelim form. Lie and you could lose BOCare. Of course if you keep them in the BARN, it's not a lie.

Nope..................................

They are all in the garage................................

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Just answer...no....and as far as the SS number goes for Doctors, Dentists etc......everyone gets a different one from me. I have dozens of them floating around out there and trust me....they DO all share that number . SS administration has the correct one.

Boolit Master

Last year i left it blank my doctor asked and i told him it was to remain blank i have no idea what he did to complete it.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I can tell ya what does NOT work out well....be in a truly smart-@ss mood when asked this question and reply "Heck no, a gun doesn't do ya any good in the house, I always carry mine with me". Causes instant fidgeting, great consternation and a quick call to security.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

The Dr.'s offices were asking this a few years ago, and I always told them to "Go pound salt". Even my GP got the hint and had the girls stop asking and had his forms re-written without the question in it.

I see so many Dr.'s now that I don't think I can count them on both hands, and have never once been asked that question. If they do they will get the same answer...........
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    It is not illegal to lie to a doctor. There are some grey areas regarding lying about being a smoker or drug user, But those are more related to your health insurance than any law. Lying on the application to get insurance is another story. Altho something that would not effect your insurance rate can only result in termination or the policy.
    It's not illegal to lie to a doctor,but the Government lies to us all the time.And they get away with it
    Last edited by ubetcha; 04-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    If they check the box when you left it empty,could they be held liable for falseifying official records?They filled it in without your permission.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    My understanding is that it irregardless of what is on the form, it is illegal for them to ask, as it constitutes forming a database, which is expressly verboten.

Boolit Buddy

I wrote in "decline to answer" and verbally told them "none of your business and way out of bounds."

Moderator Emeritus

Fire Arms........NOPE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

When I used to drink, my doctor asked me about my alcohol intake and I grossly understated the amount. In other words I lied to my doctor. Would I ever lie to my doctor again? If I am asked about firearms in the house I certainly will.

Boolit Master
    I've asked my sister about this - family practice doc in rural South Dakota. She asks the question, but only when the patient is brought in for mental healthcare reasons or is currently suffering from depression or bi-polar diagnosis. Not a general question - she's well aware that 98% of her patients have them in their home, if not in their pickup outside.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Buddy
    The medical assistant caught me off guard a couple months ago, She takes my blood pressure, starts to ask about meds, then asked, Do you carry a firearm? without thinking I said, You can see my pistol? So much for this new Crossbreed holster, lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast