Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Laundry Detergent

Boolit Buddy

Home Made Laundry Detergent

I am passing this along for any and all that want to use it. I have been making it for almost a year now and infact, many of my neighbors make it and use it. Not only does it do the job as well as the commercial stuff, Tide, Gain, etc; but it costs about $0.70 per gallon. Big savings.

You will need 3 basic ingredients; a soap of some sort, washing soda and borax.

The Soap: The most typical type of soap to use is Fels Naptha.

Washing Soda: This is not to be confused with baking soda. They are not the same thing. Washing soda is sodium carbonate or soda ash (baking soda is sodium bicarbonate). It is a white powder. Its purpose is to help remove dirt and orders. The brand to look for is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I find it in the laundry section of my grocery store.

Borax: Borax is a naturally occurring mineral: Sodium Borate. It is a white powder. It’s purpose is as a laundry whitener and deodorizer. The brand to look for is 20 Mule Team. It comes in a 76 oz. box. You should be able to locate this in the laundry detergent aisle.

The Recipe
    Now that you have assembled all the needed ingredients here is the recipe:
    Homemade Laundry Soap
    1/3 bar Fels Naptha
    ˝ cup washing soda
    ˝ cup borax powder
    ~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. Mix the soap thoroughly to mix up the gel. I put mine in an old liquid soap container so that I don’t have to mess with a 2 gallon bucket. Shake before using. You use 1/3 to ˝ cup per load.

**A few things to note about the soap**
    ~The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that has been accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.
    ~The soap is a low sudsing soap. So if you don’t see suds, that is ok. Suds are not what does the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.

Optional: If you want your soap to have some sort of scent you can scent this with ˝ to 1 oz. of essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice.

Hope this post is in keeping with the spirit of Helping Hands.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Mold
    I think this is a great idea. I have looked into this sort of thing before, but then I forget about doing it. Right now I am washing what that large tub of powder from the Sam's Club that costs about $13 and lasts us at least 6 months.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the info I will have to look for that stuff

Boolit Buddy
    I found and have everything but the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.,, I am still lookin for that
    Il let ya know how its working when i find the last stuff

Thanks for the heads up on this one
    I have two teen agers and am a single dad so I wear lots of hats and make due with little money so great find

Thanks again

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Boolit Master

Patrick, your local walmart should have the washing soda, right near the regular detergent.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks TD, We buy Borax there so Il have to take a look for it,
    Doing Landury today,,, want a drag..... hahaha

Thanks
    Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Boolit Buddy

Our Wal-Mart is kinda' hit and miss on the Washing Soda. We have a store called Harris Teeter. Has everything grocery related in it and they are a constant source for it. A box will last you a while though.
    Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Frosted Boolits

Very cool! I think this is a perfect post for the helping hands section! Can't wait to try it!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

the BB knows

Boolit Lady LocoFixersbetterhalf's Avatar
    This is great stuff. made it in my MOPS group last year. I noticed Ben's nasty work clothes looking a lot better after using it.

Boolit Master

As soon as I saw this thread, I copied the recipe to a notepad document! More money to spend on Brass!

Boolit Buddy
    We've started using this same recipe. It works great and costs alot less than regular detergent. It has a very clean smell but rinses completely out of the clothes

Boolit Buddy

Very true on both count. I am very pleased with it.
    Dave

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I priced out the materials in the grocery today. The Sun detergent beats it on price.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Frosted Boolits

How much was the sun detergent and how many loads do they claim you get out of it??

At 70 cents per gallon of the DIY detergent and using 1/2 cup per load (32 loads per gallon), that is right at 2 cents per load. Seems pretty hard to beat.

Maybe the OP found the components at a much lower price than you did.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy

Sounds Like A Math Error To Me. Haven't Found Any Commercial Product At That Price.
    Dave

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Probably so, my math skills do suck!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I buy a pail (says 32 lbs, looks about like 5 gallon size) of "wind fresh" powder laundry detergent for around $15. The bucket says 200 loads...The calculator says that's 7.5˘ per load. It works for this old bachelor...a bucket lasts about 2 years.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    The ingredients are relatively cheap. There used to be books and papers that gave this type of info on making your own equivilents of everyday stuff.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh,

I have collected a couple over the years. The book Fortunes in Formulas is a very good one. They change some over the years. I have them from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. They can often be fount on Amazon. I have a duplicate from the late 40's around somewhere. PM me if you can't find one.
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast