Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Magnaported Barrel.

Magnaported Barrel.

Would the magnaports on a barrel cause leading at the ports? The revolver is a S&W 629 Performance Center 44 mag with a Magnaported barrel. The bullet is a lead 250 gr. gas check. I have a chance to buy this revolver but if the magnaported barrel is going to cause me problems with cast boolits.

I shoot plain based boolits in mine all the time. No leading around the magnaports.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

We throw Ranch Dog 300s all day long, no leading, no porting.
    Never owned a firearm yet I felt needed to be ported
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I agree with crabo,
    I've not had any issues either with my Magnaported 29's, plained base boolits as well.....
    Bob

Boolit Master

I think it depends on how the port is cut. I have a Glock 22C which is factory ported. I do get a small amount of residue which is easily removed. I have som 40 plain based checks but haven't tried them yet. I have shot gas checked Lyman 225-415 boolits from my Ruger Mini 14 and from my brothers AR platform in 5.56 and leading doesn't seem to be a problem. I haven't shot a manga ported barrel in a while but there was no leading problem there either.

The S&W 500 Mag is ported but the port is designed differently. In fact, the pistol came with two port modules, one for lead and one for jackets. The one for lead doesn't send gas backward to the same angle as does the one for jacketed. Someone at a gun shop said that was to avoid sending lead and gas back tow the shooter.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

My Redhawk in 44 will build up over about 500 rounds. A little bore solvent breaks it up. So I guess I would call it a build up of lead and lube. Easy to clean.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

You will see some leading and powder residue in the porting. It will need to be cleaned when necessary. I do not think Magna-porting will cause a problem with cast bullets.

Mag-Na-Port

The red insert will get gray & some lead will be near the ports. Does not hurt accuracy. A High Master Bullseye shooter can do better, one handed.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I had a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull that was magnaported. It really did build up quite a bit of lead around the sides of the front sight with plain base bullets. Not a problem, however, when I switched to a cast bullet that wore gas checks.

Boolit Master

I currently have firearms magnaported the ony one that collects a little lead is a 22lr target pistol as i dont clean the barrel till after the winter league is over about 1,200+ rounds
    The others firearms i never clean the ports and i use 99% cast bullets as the high pressure helps to keeps them clean .
    A trick ive found for my handgns with compensators is to use full power loads with slow burning ball powder to blast away lead build up in the comp

I put a little car wax on the side of the ramp, and front sight on my Magnaported Freedom Arms .454.
    It makes it easy to clean the carbon off.

Ken, at Magnaport , recommends Chapstick

Bob

Boolit Master

If the porting is done correctly you should have no trouble. In the early days of porting magnum pistols, I had a Model 29 done by an independent shop. I had leading/shaving problems. Then I had the pistol rebarreled by Smith and it was ported by Magnaport. No problems!

You will experience some powder residue build-up just because of gasses coming through the ports. This is easy to clean. You should not experience much lead build up if you are shooting bullets that are hard enough to withstand magnum pressures and velocities.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment