RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HAM Radios

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I bought two of them for a friend and myself to use while hunting. I have been licensed since 1970 and he has been licensed for a long time as well. The UHF simplex frequencies work really well here in the hills and valleies of East Tennessee. Look me up on QRZ.com. WB4RAV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I am interested in getting my TECH license for a HAM radio. Who else on this board has their HAM license? What simple, rugged, compact, relatively inexpensive radio do you recommend. The primary use for the radio will be for communication with hunting partners in rugged country.
    as I understand your question ,you want to know which manufacturer makes the toughest equipment ? my experience . 27 years as a ham op. I have had excellent results with yeasu equipment it is test to military standards

Perma-Banned
    Look at the yaesu hand helds, I know a few guys that have them and they REALLY get out!

Boolit Mold
    Here you go Lefty: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/6...so-cheap-.html

BTW, I've got one if you want it. LMK. Too bad I can't hunt hogs with you anymore....

Boolit Buddy

A great little handheld is a Boufeng UV5R sold on Amazon for 30 bux , cant beat the price and the radios work great , I bought 4 of them just because they were cheep, they also have some buget mobiles , for a new user cant beat the price they run 80 to a 100 bux , from there they go up , wished they had something like that 30 years ago , cause my first radios cost a bunch , KB5SMG clear
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy

That is the Bofeng , sitting there next to the monitor, got this set up in the corner of my casting room
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	190641

seame like Guns , Guitars and radios all go together
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I have a Baofeng too. 2 meter/440 MHz. I have been a ham since early ‘70’s, but when out hunting with non hams we use FRS. We hunt on Wildlife Management Areas (WMA), and are rarely more than a mile away. The FRS are small, light, and serve our purposes. Good luck
    luvtn
    WB4WBH
    Larry

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The amateur radio service is regulated by FCC Part 97 rules and do not require a part 90 certified radio to operate on those bands. So you can legally use your older Baofeng UV5R and UV5RA radios on the 144-148 Mhz 2 meter band and 430-450 MHz 70cm bands without fear of being in violation.

But if you have a newer UV-5R V2+ you will notice the radio will not transmit below 145 Mhz. That means you won’t be able to use the radio on any frequencies between 144-145 Mhz. That would include the 144.39 Mhz APRS channel and any 2 meter repeater that has an input frequency lower than 145 Mhz.

The radio also won’t be able to receive any frequency between 155 and 174 mhz. That means you can’t use the UV-5R V2+ as a public safety scanner, railroad scanner, or NOAA weather receiver. With these limitations in hand, I probably wouldn’t purchase a Baofeng UV-5R v2+ for amateur handheld radio.

What about MURS, FRS, or GMRS?

This is where is gets a little murky. The Multi Use Radio Service, Family Radio Service and the General Mobile Radio Service are all regulated by FCC part 95 rules. A part 90 certified radio can be used on GMRS but only a part 95 certified radio can be used on FRS or MURS. The FCC doesn’t seem to be interested in use on a personal level unless the use is causing harmful or malicious interference to a licensed radio service.

There are a flood of "non-compliant" radios on the market, and by non-compliant I mean that they are capable of operating on frequencies outside of their intended purpose. For example: radios marketed to the amateur radio service can operate outside of those bounds. No public safety or commercial user would seriously consider a $30 Baofeng for their communication needs. Other countries have different radio services, rules, and regulations and what operation that may be illegal in the US could be legal elsewhere.

This FCC citation issued to the importer should have a chilling effect on the cheap bubble-pack radios being marketed in the US and we should see the manufacturers tightening up their frequency operating range and spectral purity.

Attachment 244788
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

KI6ITU....general licence...don't remember when I first licensed though...got it just in case SHTF.

Hams are a pretty good bunch, service to others minded people & prepared...heheee...can talk your ears off.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost 75 wrote: No public safety or commercial user would seriously consider a $30 Baofeng for their communication needs.“
    I find this comment interesting since this last weekend I was at an event that had a representative from Dept of Homeland Security attend. The radio they had was not compatible with local frequencies. The EMA Director broke out a brand new Baofeng for them to use!
    Luvtn

Boolit Master

aspangler et al

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV5RA-...police+scanner

I take it those radios require a technician or higher license?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12