RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 00 buckshot mold.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by repeat View Post
    Do you experienced guys tumble your buckshot?
    If so what media do you use?
    I have heard of using graphite but was told there are better media out there.
    Thanks in advance.
    I tumble mine, but I do not use graphite.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I tumble mine, but I do not use graphite.
    I too am wondering in what media? Or are these just balls bouncing around in the vibrating tumbler?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I too am wondering in what media? Or are these just balls bouncing around in the vibrating tumbler?
    I use a rotary tumbler, no media.

Boolit Man
    Moonie by pressure casting do you put the opening up to the pour spout and load that way?
    I tried ladle pouring today and it works well!
    Temps were above 0 for the first time in a while and had a good casting session.
    Brand new hot plate and I oaded until I had to stop.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by repeat View Post
    Moonie by pressure casting do you put the opening up to the pour spout and load that way?
    Yes, exactly, I press the spru hole against the pour spout, open the valve, count to 5 then pour a small spru puddle and move to the next hole.

Boolit Master

I have to agree that pressure casting works well too.
    I wish the lee sprue plates were thicker and had a trough like H&G. I bet that big old puddle of molten lead sitting on top would really help fill out the cavities.

Someone should make double thick steel replacement sprue plates for lee 6 cavities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I use a rotary tumbler, no media.
    same here. I use a Do-it slingshot pellet mold. I get a .305 pellet. I bought the thing before I joined this forum. Saw a post on another forum and stopped casting 000 one at a time. I have a .36 mold for a muzzle loader. Yes I sat there and cast hundreds of single shot pellets for buck loads.

The DO-it mold throws quite imperfect buckshot. Ten or twelve hours in a tumbler without media beats them round and smooth. Not perfect like factory swaged or even cast in a single cavity roundball mold.

The aluminum mold will cast great with the lead hot and the mold very hot. Cast fast and don't rest till you've cast enough for the reloading tomorrow.

Boolit Man
    I got my 2 Sharp-Shooter molds in and tried them and they are easier to throw great shot but has a tremendous waste.
    Not really a biggie as I just melt the waste and re-use it.
    Everyone was right as usual as I got my new hotplate and heated up all my molds even the Lee and it worked flawlessly!
    One day I will own everyone of the Sharp-Shooter molds I want but for now I will just use the one's I have and enjoy them.
    By using Moonies tip I can now cast near perfect 00 buckshot from the Lee mold.
    Thanks guys.

What are the benefits of tumbling the buckshot? Do you need to graphite coat them like regular shot? I had great luck with my Lee mold after I finally got it hot and the lead hot, was frustrating at first.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by medicms2001 View Post
    What are the benefits of tumbling the buckshot? Do you need to graphite coat them like regular shot? I had great luck with my Lee mold after I finally got it hot and the lead hot, was frustrating at first.
    My mold (do-it slingshot) leaves a flashing attached and the shot is quite imperfect. Tumbling cleans them up and makes them look a lot better.

I dont one have a lee buckshot mold yet.

do you use any media or just tumble them plain

Boolit Man
    At first I tumbled in a small amount of water and the shot came out gray but rounder.
    I now just tumble dry and they come out gray and most all of the protrusions are gone.
    I hardened my next batch to 20-22 and left them silver looking.
    I was told the hardness will stop deformation and will stay faster longer.I have yet to try them but will when the weather improves as its well below 0 again and will stay that way for most of the week and then I will get to the range and try them.

Boolit Man
    I have a question:
    When loading 000 buckshot the manual says to cut off the petals of the wad.
    How do you keep the lead buckshot from leading the barrel?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12