Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 Marlin micro groove, what bullet mold to cast with

Boolit Master
    Old school ballistics.
    If the bullet drops out any mold and measures .311 to .314 dia with a caliper across its grease groves. No further resizing for your 30-wcf is required. Just snap on a G/c for high velocity loading's Seat and shoot.. Low velocities under 1000 fps. No need to gas/check period. Just make sure your using Clip on Wheel Weight as your molds lead in both high & low speed categories.

I used the same bullet Blixen uses, the Lee 185 grain for the 303. I used a flat nose punch when I sized it and got a flat nose on it with the softer lead. It was a very good deer bullet.
    The only bullets I ever found that did not shoot well in my 30-30's were precast I purchased. They weighed 170 grains and the gas check base seemed to be too large for my gas checks.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Been shooting cast in micro-groove for a long time I just shoot them two sizes over if bore is .309 size to .311 has all ways worked good for me good luck and good shooting

Quote Originally Posted by retiredPO View Post
    Tried reloading with a store bought cast bullet, and my Marlin hated it, I read that the Mirocgroove dosent like the same bullets other 30-30's like,... dont want to spend a lot of time and money trying multiple molds, when
    the answers probably lie within your expierence....
    I appreciate the help.
    Buy a 311041 Lyman. Then toss your store-bought boolits in the melting pot with an equal amount of lead from old lead pipe or chimney flashing (pretty much pure lead). Mold up some boolits. Take your Marlin to a gunsmith and have him slug the bore. then size your boolits .002 larger, and lube with some decent lube. My own preference for lube is White Label 50-50, which seems to work well in all of my levergun (and 30-06 calibers). For starters FORGET the velocity listings in your loading books and start low). Work up gradually until you get the best groups after shooting. Write down in a notebook what works how with what loads. I started casting in the mid-1970's with the 30-30, and never realized for 20 years that there was supposedly a problem with cast boolits and microgroove Marlins.

Boolit Master

The NOE version of the 311041 bullet will cast plenty big for sizing to .311, at least mine does. I'm not sure an original Lyman mold would cast large enough. I think Al usually keeps the 311041 in stock but don't quote me on that.
    Good luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    My old 311041 (single cavity 1964) threw .309 bullets and I finally got a 311407 that threw a .3115 that solved the accuracy problem with my 1963 marlin 336. Now I use the NOE 311-195-FN RCBS, I have used the RD 165 at .311 and the RCBS 150 FN at .310 that also work in my Marlins. Not much luck with .309's in the Marlin's - starting with .311 might save a lot of work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12