RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Marlin micro groove, what bullet mold to cast with

Boolit Man

30-30 Marlin micro groove, what bullet mold to cast with

Tried reloading with a store bought cast bullet, and my Marlin hated it, I read that the Mirocgroove dosent like the same bullets other 30-30's like,... dont want to spend a lot of time and money trying multiple molds, when
    the answers probably lie within your expierence....
    I appreciate the help.

Moderator Emeritus

Size is probably your problem, store bought is probably plenty hard but, micro grooves like an oversize boolit like .311 ish.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master
    Actually your gun will like them, the problem is the size of the bullet. The first three rules of shooting cast bullets are, Bullet Fit, Bullet Fit, Bullet Fit, with out this the powder gases have a chance to go around the bullet before it gets into the barrel. Bullets are best if they are .001"-.002" over your groove diameter.

Have you slugged your gun?

Two bullets I would recommend are Lyman’s 311041 (I would look at N.O.E. moulds first, for a proper diameter mould.) or a Ranch Dog 311-165 mould but you will have to find a used one.

Read the lever rifle section here at cast bullets and get some more ideas as to what will satisfy your needs.

Are you going to use these for plinking or for a hunting load?

Microgroove often needs boolits a thou to two larger than what works in Ballard rifling. And always needs a boolit that is full diameter for 60-75% of its' length. The venerable 311041 is a good one, also the Ranch Dog 165 grain, which Ranch Dog is out of the business but you can get a clone from NOE. Al designated it "165Gr. RF 2 cavity GC (RD) (311-165G-2C-RF-GC) " when I ordered one last month.
    Cognitive Dissident

I have had wonderful luck with the SAECO #305. It looks just like a #311041, but with .314" driving bands and a .303" nose. Shoots like a champ in six different microgroove 336 rifles I have tried it in. Size it just enough (if at all) to be a slip fit in a fired case.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Yep.. with Marlin always think fat. Microgroove think fatter.
    Having suffered through too many Marlins and old Winchesters I realized it was far easier to find out what is the fattest boolit that will chamber witout undue stress on the lever. If that did not shoot real good then try .001 less diameter. Happily this has not caused bad leading problems.
    Used to start small and go up.. but 10 shots of too small can really lead a barrel.
    Too fat has so far not caused me any lead mining chores. Lead boolits easily squeeze down in the grrove. As your are starting with a low pressure load and working up there are no pressure problems. If you reduce diameter then you reduce pressure. Not so if you start small and go fatter.
    Sadly many molds generally cast too small with 50/50 mixes. So happily we can "Beagle" and lap and other mold adjustments. Even better are the Group Buys that generally address the need for fatter boolits. Ranch Dog molds are a nice help for Marlinitis.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Man

Wow. Had to leave for a few hrs,... thank you all,... let the search begin.
    ref, hunting or plinking, probably both,.. I did try the 160 gr ftx and holy cow did the gun love them.
    dropped a doe (buckled her knees and never moved) at 300 yrs. Normally would never of tried that shot, but
    I was soooo confident with the marlin with that bullit after sighting it and playing with it at distance..

The RD311-170RF works in my 336, the 165 didn't do as well as it was for winnies. I don't know which design NOE uses. Mine likes the FTX also but I have more fun with cast, + $.30 vs $.07 ea.

Boolit Master
    I shot ALOT of 30-30 cast bullets in both Micro , Pre Micro Ballard and Post Micro Ballard rifles guns made by Marlin . And I first started with .309" with so so accuracy , later I went to sizing at .310" with a shade better accuracy . A little later yet I tried sizing some air cooled WW 311041 HP bullets and bumped the nose to much so I tried a .312" die and that problem was solved . I then shot them sized at .312" and got the best accuracy I ever got with any 30-30 bullets I cast . So after that i tried all my other molds for the 30-30 sized at .312" and they ALL imrpoved in an almost dramatic fashion !

I used to cast all of the following for the 30-30 ,

Lee 309-150GC
    Lee 309-170GC

RCBS 30-150
    RCBS 30-180

Lyman 311041
    Lyman 311041 HP

Saeco 30-150GC

And the Ranch Dog 311-165GC .

For me the Lyman 311041 and the Ranch Dog 311-165GC were the cream of the crop . I shot a few thousand of these two combined at silhouetts , paper and deer .

The others I shot a fair amount at paper . They all did well enough for metallic silhouettes or deer .

I might add I used exactly two powders with ALL my 30-30 cast bullet loads . SR4759 at first and then later when I read Vebturino's book I changed over to XMP5744 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Had a 336 in 30-30 that for some reason didn't like the 311-165 RD but I suspect it had crown issues. I'll get another 336 in 30-30 and will try the RD and the NOE GB 311-041. The RD 359-190 worked great in my 35 Rem 336 so I know it's a good design. In addition to NOE, Lee is offering some of RD's designs on a special order basis.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Tom @ Accuratemolds just this week catalogued the 31-170S for me. This is a copy of the Ranchdog C311-170 with the standard lube grooves "tweaked" a bit. Dimensionally this bullet fits my several Marlin micro-groove throats and leades very well. I ordered my mold @ .312 with wheel weight +2% tin. Looking forward to getting it! I think I recall, but don't let me put words in his mouth, that Ranchdog himself said this was a better design than the 311165 but didn't catch on as well for him because most of his customers preferred tumble lube bullets.

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 336 Microgrove shoots the Lee 113gr, 150gr,170gr just fine. Actually better then Jwods! Sized .309"!

Boolit Master
    Lyman mold -311291 resized and gas checked to .311 dia.> clip/on wheel weight lead for a proper cast material will work just fine for your application Sir.

O/M

Boolit Grand Master

Like the 150 lee at .311.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Man

Again,.. Thank you for the help.... I had a guy build me a lead trap, I love the older guns, and shooting paper for distance,
    have a trapdoor 45-70 that I cast for, and a 1861 .58 cal that I hunt with... ... so while I keep the FTX in the gun for now,
    I definately will be shotting the cast when I can get it accurate. I just bought my first mihec hp 453 wow, is that cool.
    wish I would of got into this game earlier in life.

Boolit Master
    retiredPO, welcome to the forum! Better late then never just make sure you have a good set of glasses for reading.

Boolit Man

As a matter of fact I keep multiple pairs,.. besides the eyes,.. the mind, and a few other things are starting to fade.
    I see your from Conn. I was born and raised in the Valley. Ansonia, left for Iowa in 73. Miss the culture, not the
    crowds

I've been having good luck with the LEE DC MOLD C312-185-1R (bought for .303). I size to .311.

It's seems like a bad idea because I have to seat the boolit's base down below the shoulder because of the Marlin's chamber. But it shoots very well with light loads--Red Dot, Unique, etc. I'm working on stiffer loads. I'd like to try a 90-100 gr. .32 pistol boolit that I read here shoots well in the 30-30.

Hi, havent posted for a while so maybe this has been answered.Anyway my 92 marlin 30-30 is slugged at .3115 im looking for a good used lyman 311041 but wonder does that mold drop at .312-.313? Now if im going to powder coat should i stick to the lyman or should i look for a mold that drops a smaller diameter to allow a thou or 2 for powder coating ?
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Master
    My 51 waffletop likes Lees 170gr FN super accurate 2400/3031 /unique all work greats sized 311 BHN 14-16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast