WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 95 grain 38 caliber bullets

Boolit Master

95 grain 38 caliber bullets

Of course everything's out of stock right now, but I've been looking for some jacketed 38 caliber rounds because I want to experiment a bit with powerful 357 rounds from my 4 inch SP101. The only jacketed 38 caliber bullets they had were these funky old 95 grain SJHP (Remington B22944, if anyone is really that interested).

So I bought a couple boxes planning to load them with 2400 and see what I could make them do. Then I got to thinking it might not be a good idea.

Most people know about the old Smith revolvers that aren't supposed to shoot the <125 gr loads because of flame cutting and so on and so forth. The problem is that the peak pressure doesn't occur until after the bullet is gone from the cylinder with a normal, heavier bullet. The lighter bullets have an issue as the peak pressure occurs after the bullet exits the cylinder, which causes the hot gases to leak out all over the top strap and forcing cone, right?

Even though this SP-101 is not known for those flame cutting issues, 357 caliber isn't known for 95 grain bullets so it could be an issue.

Does anyone else share this concern?

Has anyone loaded or even seen these light bullets?

Should I load them as soft 38 special rounds?

Where would I find some load data for 2400 or unique? Those are the only two suitable powders I have for those calibers.

Should I just put them up in the swapping and selling section for some heavier bullets?

Boolit Master
    I have loaded the Rem 95 gr SJHP in my Security-Six. Lots of fun. Not sure what the load was. May have been 38 Special or .357. Have not been able to find any for years. I would load to 38 special levels with Unique.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have loaded and fired many thousands of the 95 grain SJHP, still have several thousands. Problem with loading them to 357 pressures is that the concave base and very thin jacket allows them to fail at 357 pressures. I have had the jacket start to break up before it cleared the muzzle, I actually found shavings of the jacket in the forcing cone. I really like the bullet in short barreled 38's. My Colt DS and my 2" S&W 10-5 are very accurate with them.
    Give'm a try but check your bore after each round if loading to 357 pressures.
    I was using the 357 loads in Ruger, Colt and S&W 357 revolvers, single action and DA.

I just found 4 boxes of 100 that I was researching what they are worth to sell local, and stumbled on this retro thread. Might be fun in the Security Six and GP100