Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goex Olde Eynsford Blackpowder

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It was 2f I tested in the flintlock pan
    Don, that was a good test to determine the ignition quality of Olde E'. When I get my shipment from Jerry, I'll try some 1 1/2 Fg in the pan of my Hawkins and some straight FFFFg. Any bets the sodium dinitrobenzoate sulfonate is going to light the pan up equally?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I don't know John, when 40 years ago we were doing the living history thing with the NPS, the only powder we could have was gov issue, and that was 1f. About 3 or 4 of them hunks of coal did a pretty fair job of setting off the charge well enough to "hit the mark" at 50 yds and get oohs and ahhs from the onlookers..
    What will really be interesting is what sort of numbers you get from your chrono and what sort of groups you get. I'm really thinking the CAS bunch is going to like the 2f in their rifles..
    Right now if I was a dedicated diehard trapdoor shooter, I'ld be all over the 1.5, 65 grs by weight should throw either govt bullet to the sights, and as agreeable as this fouling seems to be should let a trapdoor run for quite awhile before problems jump up..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Hey Don, do a hammer test with Old E and let us know the results ...

Semi-smokeless powder, even if it was as safe as black powder, still wasn't safe to handle. It could be set off by static electricity or even by hitting it with a hammer (or getting rowdy with a powder measure)

In 1869 a German immigrant named Carl Dittmar came to America. He had worked from time to time with another man named Schultze. Schultze went to England and specialized in true smokeless powder made from nitrated wood pulp. Dittmar used nitrated wood pulp, but in a hybrid mixture.
    Backers became interested enough in Dittmar's ideas to build a factory in Binghamton, New York in 1878. In 1881 the factory blew up and destroyed most of Binghamton.

I came across an old newspaper article about that explosion a while back while looking for info on the 1940s Texas City Texas explosion, just thought it might be of interest here.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...B266838A699FDE

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Red, thanks kindly for posting the article. This kind of detailed information never makes the history books. A copy of the article is also residing now on my computer in - Black Powder History

Binghamton is a town familiar to me. I grew up in Elmira and spent a lot of time in the Binghamton and Johnson City area hunting and fishing
    Regards
    John

Shot at 650 yds today. This stuff does not like the wiping routine that KIK and Goex express and Cartridge get along fine with. So those loads will need revisiting if I decide to try the Accurate .434 bullet again.
    It did however work extremely well with the shortened tankbuster bullet, with nothing more than the muzzleloading specialty dry lubed felt wad and the NAPA rubberized cork wad, and no more fouling control than a blowtube...
    Shot some 2f fireforming cases and about all that accomplished was trigger time under live fire conditions...

So, I won't be able to dump some of this in a cartridge and shoot all 10X's?

Of course you can Mike, it might not be the first time out with it tho.

I have a sample of the second batch of olde eynsford. CVA Hawken with 32" 1:66 twist barrel @ 100 yards shooting 110grains volume OE 1 1/2 Fg, .020" patch lubed with moose milk and .570" round ball. Same as goex? No way in heck!

I ran 50 rounds of paper patch loads thru the #3 Shiloh 45-70 just goofing around on Thursday at the Quigley. Hit ratio just using the ladder sights across the entire course ran about 50%, and the only cleaning patch the rifle saw that day was when it got back to camp. Took about 4 patches to get the bore all squeaky clean and ready for the bore conditioner.
    Next time we see that rifle it will be a 44-77.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123