PBcastcoInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goex Olde Eynsford Blackpowder

Boolit Buddy

Goex Olde Eynsford Blackpowder

Read this on the Powder Inc website part of a March 20, 2013 post:

"Olde Eynsford -- we got some. A little bit of the 'Olde E' (I call it "old inn-sferd") -- in 1.5F, 2F, and 3F. Phone orders only on the Old Eynsford premium powders, until we get in enough to open online orders for this powder, as well. Truck is in, we are filling backorders, Swiss 3F is back, Olde Eynsford by phone."

Anyone tried some?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Don McDowell has some. Plus read this thread ...
    http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/vi...hp?f=5&t=20000

Plus the powder has been discussed since it was announced and you have read the posts on Shiloh
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the only part of "rivaling Swiss" they got right on this first small batch is the screen size. I'm thinking we got hoodwinked pretty badly on this stuff,and some of us spent 123$ on a 5lb order of stuff that may make Elephant look like a superior grade sporting powder.
    Hogdons may want to consider refunding a bunch of money or at least sending everyone that fell into this claptrap a replacement order of powder, if nothing else just for consideration of us doing the testing they should have done before they released this ****.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Thanks Don. Our suspicions were dead nuts on the mark and you just saved me $124 to find out Olde E is the same old-same old Goex **** powder! They would have been better off running more batches of CTG instead of discontinuing this grade...
    He who has enough Cartridge in inventory to last until I die! And every can survived Super Storm Sandy!
    Regards
    John

I just got 10# each of 1.5 and 2F this morning and just started to load a few rounds of each but I killed the chronograph on the last outing.
    I guess maybe it's time to get some new sensors.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again Don,

My buddy has 3 lbs of Swiss left from the last batch we were able to get up here.He'll probably be willing to sell it to me since he hasn't switched to Swiss yet, so I think I'll go that route.

John I for the life of me don't know why they just didn't use the Express recipe and screen it to the smaller size.
    Leadpot I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with it . I won't be shooting any of it for another week or so, unless I can talk my helper into shooting it thru buttugly. I want to shoot it thru that rifle with postells, creedmoors and patched rounds as I have good chrono data to compare this stuff with.

Don, you've got a chronograph, right? Compare them fps & SD to buttugly if you would. Thanks
    Last edited by John Boy; 03-29-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Regards
    John

John that's been my plan, now just need to get a few things healed up and we'll be ready to go.

I got my powder this morning and went right down to the mole den and threw 12 together. The powder does weigh less the the KIK with the same volume in the case but I don't have a chronograph working right now so I cant say if the velocity is much different then the KIK.
    I shot 4-3 shot groups using 90 grains of 1.5 and 2F for a starting load compressed .370" and using the .44-100 caliber with the PP 477 gr prolate bullet and the 500 grain bullet that is the KAL elliptical.
    The low shot on the top target was a fault of the cam that locks down the elevation on the MVA scope came loose on the third shot on the top target and the first shot on the right hand target below it is the low shot a couple inches at 6 o-clock.
    I shot these at my 130 yard short range in my yard.
    All in all the first time out with this powder I cant find fault with it even though the rifle shoots a lot tighter at this distance using the KIK. We will see when I start to develop the load how it will shoot.
    The fouling test one long slow exhale with the blow tube followed with a dry patch pushed through with ease and it came out wet, a little dryer then the KIK would be and the final barrel clean up I saw no difference. Three damp patches followed by three dry patches, the last one came out just as white as it went in.

Good doins Kurt. I loaded 20 for testing. 70 grs by weight is a tight fit in ww 45-70 cases

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Good doins Kurt. I loaded 20 for testing. 70 grs by weight is a tight fit in ww 45-70 cases
    Don are you saying that only 70gr of the new powder will fit in an empty case, or is this seated with a bullet? If with a bullet then can you say how far from the case mouth your powder column is and how much compression? It sounds like I'm going to miss my Goes FFg Express when it runs out this summer.

Chris.

Chris the 1.5 in a 70 gr volume measure only weighs a little over 64 grs, so when you step it up to a full 70 grs by weight it fills the case. I did measure 77 grs of it and poured into a 44-77 case and there's not much but about .1 below the case mouth.
    Waiting anxiously to get a chance to run these loads over the chrono to see just what sort of velocity they give.

I'm mighty proud most of you guys don't shoot KIK! It might get short!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Rick,

I do my best not to lock my self into just using one brand of powder or methods in the way to load that round. I use what ever I have to to get the most out of my rifle that it is capable of shooting. I get equal accuracy using KIK, Swiss, and Goex. and this also goes for the bullets the powder push down the barrel being a GG or PP.
    This new Olde powder from the few shots I fired using it with several loads and different bullets it is proving so far to be a good powder at the 135 yards I have tested it in my back yard. All the groups I have shot to this point have been 1-1/4" or less. Not a bad start for just filling a case with powder and sticking a bullet in with out developed a accuracy load.
    Right at this point I dont have a working chronograph so I cant see what the ES and SD are or what the diff is as far as fps, really for me the bottom line is what the target shows and so far it's nothing to sneeze at.
    This powder is lighter by volume then KIK and a bunch more then Swiss, but just because I cant get 100 grains in the case like Swiss would weigh dont mean that the 92 grains of Olde wont do the same thing. Besides I will get a lot more cases loaded per pound. and that is a + for me as much as I shoot.
    Like I said I dont know what the velocity is but I can tell that the dirt kickes up pretty quick behind the target and I get a little more recoil.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Don. I suppose I'll give it a try anyway if the local distributor has any. I'd definitely give KIK, or any other brand a try if I could find it in Canada, but no such luck.

Chris.

Chris , this Enysford stuff should come available up there as soon as they get enough of it made to get shipped to all the distributors.Right now they've just made a small batch, and as far as I know Powder Inc. is the only place that got any. Maybe get to chronograph some this afternoon or tomorrow, but will post up the numbers when I get them.
    You might contact Western Powders, or look for one of their Canadian distributors about the KIK, it's their powder and down here the only place I'm aware of to get it is thru Powder Inc.

Had another thought, it looks like Hogdons/goex has a spot reserved on traders row at the Quigley, you might be able to come down shoot with us and get a dab of powder to carry home? not sure how that works going north with stuff.

Ran a short sample over the chrono. Looks like from a 28 inch barrel 45-70 this 2f is capable of hurling a 530 gr bullet at 1220 fps.

Any idea how that compares with the same volume of KIK?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast