Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one...

Boolit Bub

If you could only have one...

If you could only have one rifle to cast for, what caliber would it be, and why?

Boolit Master
    45-70 Marlin. Because I couldn't afford to shoot it if I had to buy jacketed.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The Old Man's duffle cut 1942 98k, it was the first rifle I carried deer hunting.

7x57 cuz it was the first caliber I ever shot in a centerfire rifle and it just seems to get the job done. Super-versatile and just one of those great calibers that BEGS one to handload due to the "low-pressure" ballistics of most factory ammo.

So, a little versatility, a little nostalgia and a little bit of just plain fun!!
    PSP
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master
    RNH -

HOwdy !

.35 Rem for me. Amazingly accurate & flexible. Can shoot .358" cal rifle or .357" cal handgun lead boolits. And even shoots well w/ J-words.

Heck... I've shot .35 Rem in my Marlin M-336 XLR w/ the case necks cut clean off ! Used Dead Center Duplex .35" calibre 195 SPBTs, "patched " w/ Dymo label tape. The shoulder on the rebated boat tail sealed against the flat opening of the case " mouth", and was held there by boolit being engaged into the rifling @ the other end. Got it to group half-way decent @ 100yd ( this was w/ a reduced load of IMR4759.

All great fun !

With regards,
    357Mag

In Remembrance

338/06. Medium large bore that has the ability to take groundhogs up to elk, a decently made 225 - 230 gr. boolet does nicely. Can be made up on any Mauser, Springfield or U.S. Enfield action besides any `06 sport length action.Robert

.35 something.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for your input, but I meant more for a casting point of view. Neck length, case capacity, etc..

Boolit Grand Master
    30-30 Winchester Marlin. Good variety of moulds. Lots of case neck. Decent case capacity for cast. Max pressure and velocity is very accessible to cast.
    If there was ever a cartridge that screamed to be shot with cast it is a 30-30.

Boolit Grand Master

Tough one! Toss up between 30-30 and 308, with druthers on the two going to 30-30 because of savings on powder with smaller charges. Now to add to this thread, I would say if you had only the one, what mold would you choose and why. For me, it would be the 170gr. Ranch Dog-------How about the rest of you?
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

.30-30 or .45-70 Marlins.

Banned

I had an answer all prepared and then I read the others.
    I really think I enjoy shooting cast in my 22 calibers the most.
    if I had to make do with just one caliber for everything I shoot it would be my 358 Winchester.
    I can do from p-dogs through elk with it.

Being new to boolit casting, right now it'd be the 300blackout. Versatility of subs, supers, bullet weights, and across numerous platforms make it ideal for a new caster.

Boolit Buddy
    9.3x62 with a 285 grain GC will take down the biggest critter I am likely to run in to and have horse power to spare, with light loads will take rabbits cleanly,
    Robert.

Banned

.30-'06. Most versatile cartridge on the planet. It's not only capable of but excels at more different things than any other I can think of.

And that's just with cast boolits.

Gear

Boolit Buddy

I have to agree with geargnasher on this one, 30-06 in a bolt gun. With all the various 30cal cast bullets and powders that are suitable for it. The options are pretty much endless everything from mouse-fart to moose killers to long distance it will do it with cast boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

45/70 I can load it down or even load shot in it if I needed to.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    .30-'06. Most versatile cartridge on the planet. It's not only capable of but excels at more different things than any other I can think of.

And that's just with cast boolits.

Gear
    +1 on the 30-06. First choice of rifle would be my 1903 Springfield, it loves cast boolits and shoots most of my loads to the same POI. Second choice would be my M1 Garands...I finally got all of them shooting cast very well.

Boolit Master
    First choice would be a heavy barreled .32/40 on a single shot platform for strictly cast bullet experimentation at 100 and 200 yards. Please let it have a tight chamber and throated for breech seating, and if cost were no object a false muzzle too. Two different stock sets: one for off -hand work and one for bench work. Windgauge tang sight and globe front, with a 15x Unertl as backup.

One can dream, can't one?!

Boolit Master

.30-06 here too. But I'm torn between the Garand and the Smith-Corona 03. Second would be the .45 colt 94 Winchester due to the fact that I can use the same ammo in my Blackhawk.