RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: advice for LH flintlock build

Boolit Master

advice for LH flintlock build

I always wanted a LH flint and out of recent junk purchase was a barreled action for a traditions buckhunter inline that looks brandnew on out side but crapped barrel inside, no firing mechanism. Its a 54 cal,26 inches long and 1x48 twist. Took tc's foam to it and the barrel cleaned up beautiful. So I have a nice clean 54 cal barrel (it is round) I can replace the nipple plug with a threaded plug and I will cut the reciever to fit into stock. My question is can I make a flintlock out of this or am I limited to percussion? Where and what lock and I want a single trigger should I look for? Money is limited but I can wait if I have to. I want the lyman deer stalker look when finished. I wait with anticipation for your input. Also feel free to tell me I am nuts doing this if you think I am on a dead end street.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    The Village Idiot continues to wait.....???? am I really that far off with this. Convert a round barrel to flintlock ignition, left hand? I have only seen flints with octagon barrels, but I was hoping maybe I could make it work...
    Look twice, shoot once.

lyman has a great plains rifle, flintlock
    in the left hand configuration. I really like mine.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master
    TTC, does that rifle have a round barrel at the breech-frizzen area?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

No they don't they are octagon. The round barrel gives nothing for the lock to seal against.

Boolit Mold

Original flinters

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    No they don't they are octagon. The round barrel gives nothing for the lock to seal against.
    My original flint military muskets & buck & ball smoothbores all have round barrels. There is no problem if you get the pan and a properly sized touchhole to line up correctly....... but unless you are good with stockwork, good luck in doing it yourself

You'll need to file a flat on the round barrel for the lock to set against. Building a gun is so much work I'd start out with good parts or not do it at all.

Boolit Master
    Great to know it has been done! This sounds like sic-em to a hound dog. A build is going to happen, whether its a flint or percusison depends on what I feel confident with. Thanks for the info. Are there any good locks and single triggers available at decent prices?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Olut View Post
    My original flint military muskets & buck & ball smoothbores all have round barrels. There is no problem if you get the pan and a properly sized touchhole to line up correctly....... but unless you are good with stockwork, good luck in doing it yourself
    Yes with a big flat on the side for the pan and frizzen to seal against. Fill that lock mortice with powder leaking into it and you just might grenade it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello;Here is the end result of a round barreled flintlock and a left-handed one at that.I did this one a while back on sort of a bet, I bet my grandson that I could build a flint gun and the stuff to shoot it with, and not buy anything, just use junk stuff I had,a walnut plank and an unchambered barrel from a double shotgun . I sort of lost the bet,he was going to move to Texas,so had to buy a lock and touch hole liner to finish so he could see it. I can fabricate the whole deal except sulphur and that would be a hard to find item in hard times!
    Don't leave your niter bed where animals can get to it,they'll eat it!
    It is necessary to file a flat for the lock to fit up close to a round barrel,a bee's wax soaked gasket between lock and barrel helps seal any gap, as previously stated-don't let powder get behind the lock!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5820.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	65592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5821.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	65593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5822.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	65594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5823.jpg 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	65595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5824.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	65596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5825.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	65597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5826.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	65598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5827.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	65599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5828.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	65600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5829.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	65601lreed

Boolit Master
    lreed, you are one talented craftsman! Ok, now I know I can do it and thanks for all the close up detail. I want to buy a good lock and trigger so this might take a couple month to bring to completion. We just came back from Williamsburg, Yorktown battlefield and the black powder bug has bit. I am stocking a (really rough barrel- thread couple days ago) to look like a carbine jaegar we saw in the museum, but that one is percussion. Thanks again for your encouraging reply.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Take a look at Jim Chambers stuff. He builds the Siler locks and they are one of the best. The heart of a flint lock is the lock. He does have left hand locks separately and left hand kits. I built mine from a kit he offered and I really like it.
    http://www.flintlocks.com/

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    checked chambers site and I like what I see, especially the lock I can design the plate according to my taste. Thanks for all input.
    nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Two things you need to know about Chamber's locks.

One is they are made in lots, so not all replacement lock parts fit without filing.

Two, all repairs to His locks must be returned to his shop. No one else will work on them.

L&R locks are what most of the builders use. Parts are the same on every lock, and any one can repair them.

Saying that, Mine is a Chamber's lock for two reasons, it is the fastest lock made ( the Late Ketland) and they are dang purty!

With all the gussied up locks and furniture out there, I thought Id build a plain ole working mans gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lock.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	66381
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You might want to try and turn that vent liner in line with the barrel. With it in that position you will get gas cutting on the pan.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!