Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ebay $ rate is what?

Boolit Master

ebay $ rate is what?

Is there anyone here that sells on ebay regulerly? I am trying to sell something there and having some trouble jumping through their hoops. Maybe I am making a big mistake because what I am trying to sell is gun related.
    Anyway problem #1
    They are telling me as a new seller I cant list an item for over $5'000.00
    Problem #2
    The item I have I want to start at $7'000.00 but the 2.9% cut they get is too high.
    I see there is a $250.00 top that they get in loue of the 2.9% and I am OK with that. The problem is that a buyer can only pay via paypal and they will get another 3% cut.
    I see no top for the paypal thingy but with both fees it is cutting kinda deep into my share.
    Am I doing something wrong or missing something or is it just too bad thats the way it is?

Love Life
    Have you considered Gunbroker? What about having the buyer pay the fee.

Boolit Master

I sell things on eBay once in a while. A lot lately... EBay gets 9% and it's going to 10% on April 15th. And yes, PayPal gets 3% PLUS 30 cents for every transaction. They can really pick your pocket.

You HAVE to have PayPal to sell on EBay, but I have seen sellers who post "NO PayPal" on their auctions. You take your chances with that though. I once had a guy bid over $1000 for a $25 item. It seems he AND another bidder forget the decimal point. Of course the customer wasn't going to pay, but Ebay still billed me for their 9%! It took weeks to sort out. But it finally got worked out.

Boolit Master
    I have been hearing from folks here about the insane prices things are bringing on ebay so thought to sell there. Of course I want the most I can get but wonder if its worth it. Maybe because its gun related there would be problems.
    I dont know what I am going to do with it now. I do have lots of experiance with Gun Broker though. What I have is a bunch of swaging stuff in 22, 24, and 30 cal and I know the demand is high right now.
    I priced it out at the D Corbin site at 13 to 14 K so I think starting an auction at about half of new is a fair deal but I just dont think its fair to have to pay at both ends. If they allowed the buyer to pay by MO or personal check I would have no problem. Its just that to me its very close to them (ebay) lying about their rates.

Boolit Man
    Anything gun related I just sell on armslist. No fees.

Boolit Master
    I quit selling on ebay because their fees are too high. They also have way too many "rules" that seem to pop up, kind of like Nazi auction. Gunbroker is better, but they have high fees too.

Boolit Man
    Althoug bullet mouls are going for ridiculous prices on ebay. I just sold an old lyman single cavity for $125 without handles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nouseforaname1246 View Post
    Anything gun related I just sell on armslist. No fees.
    What is the traffic like at armslist? If there is no volume of traffic it wont be viewed by enough people that would be interested in bidding.

Boolit Master
    13 per cent does not sound bad. when you find out a real auctioneer starts at 20 and goes up. with ebay you have a lot more bidders.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't forget that now they also want a cut on the cost of shipping!!!

Boolit Master
    Also for new ebay accounts paypay freezes your proceeds for up to 21 days. My son just found this out with his new account. Timeframe may be reduced with delivery confirm and no buyer complaints.
    ph4570

Boolit Master

Large ticket items often are sold using PayPal for only the deposit. The balance is paid on delivery, or by Bank Check after inspection...

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Also for new ebay accounts paypay freezes your proceeds for up to 21 days. My son just found this out with his new account. Timeframe may be reduced with delivery confirm and no buyer complaints.
    Suppose this is to protect the buyer from the rascals that don't ship sold and paid for items? Spose?

NEH, that wouldn't be it.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Suppose this is to protect the buyer from the rascals that don't ship sold and paid for items? Spose?

NEH, that wouldn't be it.
    That is the theory. However what do you suppose the cumulative float to them on all that frozen jack is? Maybe other lightly veiled motives? Ya spose?
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    I think I wana just go back under my rock but I cant because I have to sell it.
    I have received some good advice in PM. I just have to do some calculizing and try to jump start some seldom use brain cells.

That is the theory. However what do you suppose the cumulative float to them on all that frozen jack is? Maybe other lightly veiled motives? Ya spose?
    Well I admit, I'd be collecting interest on all those funds being held. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Well I admit, I'd be collecting interest on all those funds being held. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see.
    We see things differently. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same
    ph4570

We see things differently. It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same
    Well My brother ran a shipping auditing firm using this as his only means of making a profit. He did very well BTW.

This is worse than those buying up ammo at retail and then playing "I'm a dealer" and gouging their fellow sportsman?

Don't know your feelings on this but, I see nothing wrong with making interest on monies held. Its done all the time.

Boolit Master

In Tennessee funds held by an auctioneer (auction firm) must be held in an escrow account which is non-interest bearing. Most states auction law of which I'm familiar are like this. The auction firm cannot profit from holding others funds. California is a very liberal state as far as auction law is concerned and this is one of the reasons E-bay is homed in California.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind 13% on top of an insane price still gets you a good profit.
    my lee 6up bator mold went for $192. Even with a markup I did well. Also on ebay if you do not have a track history you may not get top dollar.
    Try an ebay reseller, some of those will get top dollar. Also break up the items. Having a bult auction will not get top dollar as people mostly want 223 and 9mm stuff. The odd calibers will not get a good price from one only intestested in .223 or 30cal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast