Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helping new visitors here on the forum

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States

In light of this dscussion i believe i owe many thanks to many members here. Just a few off the list, who took time and mental energy away from their day to help me out include: runfiverun, char gar, dave in ga, Wr buchanan. My memory of gratitude can be short, which is why it is good to say thanks upon receipt of help. If i looked back through my history, i would find at least 50 other members who have repeatedly offered sound advice sheerly from the good of their hearts.

(almost) noone is getting paid here, those who are probably break even at best because a site running this volume aint free and there are no goods being sold. Be happy for such an amazing free resource.

Runfiverun that search engine is great! Nice job to the author. Sticky material for sure, or maybe author should be subcontracted by castboolits to tweak the in-house engine.

Mrblue, while your skin may not be thin, you are pretty reactionary and that is not the best personality for utilizing the massive knowledge base which exists here. People are people and will ignore you if they perceive a student unwilling to accept their proper place. As mentioned by recluse we are all students, for life. Soon as you stop learning you are essentially dead.

I have been the guilty party in the above mentioned scenario, acting like i knew more than i did, or arguing with well-meant answers. No good.

Lastly, if a search engine attempt comes up short, or confusing, try scrolling down to page 2,3,4 or 10 within a sub-forum and see what the thread topics are. Ive found tons and tons of relevant answers to questions i had for which i had been consdering starting a new thread.

Happy shooting, and thanks again to everyone who has helped me out.

Boolit Master
    Guys I have been hanging out on this site for a couple of years now, and I really didn't know a thing when I first started. If it wasn't for the generous people here that have helped me along the way I might not have continued in this hobby. Now I like casting almost as much as shooting! Just saying thanks isn't really enough. I hope I can share the knowledge I have gained here with some new person in the future and pass it along.

Please keep up the good work!
    Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

This is the VERY common ebb and flow of a forum, regardless of the topic. I have been a member, mod and admin of more than a few.

And the "old" people on a forum are not always "old" in age. I have dealt with 17yr old admins that get just as tired of dealing with the repeated easy questions as his much older counter part.

There is a bit of an entitlement mentality from some new people, not all. The thought process is "If you do not give me what I want, when I want it and how I want it; then you are just meanie poopy pants. You hate new people!" Well that might be your opinion but that does not make it a fact.

You have to have an inner drive to educate yourself for a forum to work properly. Just like I told my daughter "I can not MAKE you be responsible", the very act of being responsible is doing the right thing when I am not there. That is something you have to have inside you.

This last statement is no reflection on mrblue personally, but if you are such a young and tech savy guy you would know that such a vague search as "AR" would not net you much gain. Maybe you should be a little more descriptive in your search string as the forum is not going to read your mind.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Yep. I'm now 62, a Vietnam Vet and still a Marine (Once a Marine, Always a Marine) and yes I did build my first computer. It was a 386 DX which had two banks of memory. I learned a lot about computers by building it myself alongside my dad. He built his when I got interested in the inner workings of a computer.

I don't need your thanks (any newbies); I will answer your questions with the best of my ability. I learned in the USMC that "there are no stupid questions." Ask away and I'll do my darndest to try to help you without any impunity. The folks on this board are some of the finest people I'd ever hope to meet. Even when I'd ask the stupidest questions I'd usually get usefull information in return. Even if it meant "search the stickies". At least I'd known that the stupid question had been asked before...I just needed to know where to find it. Folks have been really, really helpfull to me and I want to return that favor by answering any post looking for needed and viable information.

I just hope I can help someone else just as I was helped. Thank you all on Castboolits who have taken the time not only to answer my questions, but who have helped me with "stuff" for reloading. This is, by all means, the very best site on the whole danged internet. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Buddy
    Unlike some people i value some of the thoughts presented. And i only offer rebutle. However if all i keep getting back is some people taking my words too deep. Im happy for my generation but sad that we will have to fix much of what is being handed over to is. very easy for us to understand but others see as confusing and complicated. I depart with a......cool story bro....u mad? Lol

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

In fairness, the search engine sucks. At least for me. I just did a search on "Lyman slug" and got over 1600 hits. Is there a way to search for Lyman slug and not have every thread with Lyman or slug hit? If this has been addressed before would someone please send me a link on how to search so I can learn?

Your assistance is thanked in advance.
    I think one of the problems with narrowing it down, is that there are over 1.8 million posts on this board. Another 33 members have registered on the board in the last 24 hours. This has been about daily average for months, so I figure it won't take long for us to reach 2 million posts. The Google option is probably the best.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
    Sorry for being so over welmed with all the information on the site and maybe needind some questions clarified. Maybe some people havnt used search engines before and dont know what to ask. As a newer person to this site im trying my best along with others to take it all in. There is new information posred everyday and it can seem very hard to take it in. But im sure you know all this information and seem very upset all these people want to get into a great hobby. I guess this site isnt for me then if people dont want to be friemdly and helping. Guess its time to move on. And also to contact any of the sponsers that they will lose my money and more newbies monies. Sorry to waste your time. But thank you because you need a pat on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
    Unlike some people i value some of the thoughts presented. And i only offer rebutle. However if all i keep getting back is some people taking my words too deep. Im happy for my generation but sad that we will have to fix much of what is being handed over to is. very easy for us to understand but others see as confusing and complicated. I depart with a......cool story bro....u mad? Lol
    So I suppose I took your threat to leave and contact our site sponsors to cost them as much business as you can "too deep"?

Gear

Boolit Master
    I can't stay in the tall grass anymore. If I may mrblue, when the cell tower goes down (inoperative) how long will you survive? If I may once again, another shining example of the new America. I don't have to work for it, I deserve it, where is mine, with no respect and every retard gets a trophy! mrblue I wish you well in your challenges and I hope you learn what crickets really sound like here. Good Day Sir, Gtek

Boolit Buddy
    Gteck i can survive just fine with out a phone. I dont rely on it all the time for everything. But there is abwealth of knowledge to be learned i just like to know things. And yes gear i feel if anything you are the problem not me. Once again im trying to show a different light and you arr threating me. And yes i will contact site sponers. I know one man may not create a flood but every flood starts with one drop.

Boolit Grand Master

"never played with a computer's innards"

LOL!

Do you know what a 1024 CPU Cray supercomputer even IS? How
    many weapons systems have you designed?

Hilarious! Played a few video games and installed a hard drive would
    make one a computer expert, I expect. We could throw down numbers
    of engineering degrees, how many airplanes we have designed, or overhauled
    or built or hybrid buses, or houses, bridges, computer operating systems,
    database software and lots of other cool stuff that has nothing to
    do with cast boolits. Lots of folks here really know all kinds of stuff, and
    that is not particularly relavant. All this stuff is not productive, and nobody
    really cares at all, or probably even believes any of it.

Sir - this is so funny. Please, just calm down, pull up a chair and stop
    trying to impress us. We aren't going to be, and you really don't need
    to be impressed with us either. That nasty edge on many of your
    comments is not necessary or helpful and doesn't really work out well.
    Let's talk about casting boolits and have some fun. Nobody needs to
    be pushing and shoving. Respect each other, learn from each other
    and let's put this behind us.

The guy that knows how to make great boolits that shoot well is king here
    whether he is president of a company or a cop or a bus driver or any
    other job in "real life".

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 03-27-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Bill, omgstfubbq. If i wanted i could easily google fu that stuff and make it seem like whatever i wanted. I dont know you and i cant verify that you do either. Please

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

look not for the speck in your brothers eye until you remove the plank in your own eye.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

This 'mrblue' character almost seems bent on ruffling feathers and generally being a prick after being dealt with politely by many many people.

Perhaps a mole from another forum? Or from a mgfr of jacketed bullets?

In any case, a person only deserves so much welcome and patience. My minutes are not so valuable that i feel any time has been irreparaby wasted on this post, but it is beginning to feel like i am playing into one litte sensitive person's games for attention and proper recognition.

Threats against the well being of this forum are ABSOLUTELY not a good way to make friends. Repeating them is even worse.

Banned

Before I even thought about spending a cent or posting or anything else, I spent a few days, i.e. many, many hours reading everything I found of interest. I just posted a elementary school level question and got about 10 useful responses. Took that info, used the search function on this site, and spent about an hour digging deeper and came to a conclusion. I enjoyed the process. When it comes to the nuts and bolts, this forum is quite nice, and if you want to blow off some steam in the proper forum, have at it. I have yet to find any weakness on this site. It is as good as it gets. I say God Bless .45Nut for making this possible.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troll.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	65520 But you are all my friends.

Boolit Master

Well, after that last acronym I don't believe he even deserves a warning. I know what I would do if I were a moderator. He acts like he is seeing how much he can get away with before being banned.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post

[Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun ]View Post
    http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...69:ggn3vg-bjum
    swiped this from a near octogenarian that devised it.

That needs to be a sticky!

There is a ton of information on this site. I search pretty well but this site is a challenge.

I have to agree that most questions have been answered, at least thrice so thank you all for the knowledge.

For what it's worth, I get people at work asking me questions that could be answered faster via Google. I guess it's just how people are now. The benefit on this site is it's easier to find the answer if it's in multiple places and stated multiple ways.[/QUOTE]

Not a sticky, but replace the search function with this link!!

Bookmarked for future reference. The information and knowledge on this forum is great!

And MrBlue, Yes, he does know what he is talking about without having to Google the info!

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus
    I get a distinct whiff of troll on this thread.

The thing with trolls is if you don't give them the oxygen then they just suffocate from lack of attention.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus

It's Bush's fault.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast