Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: really rough barrel help

Boolit Master

really rough barrel help

I bought some junk and in it is a 50 cal barrel, rifling looks good but the flats are really rough most of the way down. What aggressive advice do I here for dealing with this before I shoot it. I am willing to try anything. I was wondering how to deal with this and still keep the flats flat? Maybe start a slug, pull it back out and force grit on the flats of the boolit? I figured I can't go wrong looking for expierenced advice. thanks, nekshot
    Look twice, shoot once.

Well, I just had Bob Hoyt bore and re-rifle one for me. It now has the right twist, right groove depth, and a nice new finish. Can't beat that for $100.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    well the hoyt way is the best. but if you want to try it your self. look up how to fresh a barrel. it takes alot of time. but it works.

Boolit Master
    Thats what bugs me most about this barrel is it 1-32 twist. I will check the freshing up bit and if that doesn't work I'll need info for Bob Hoyt. We just came back from Yorktown-Williamsburg and saw a neat carbine in the yorktown village museum and I want to try use this barrel for a replica.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    wow, Bob Hoyt fairfield pa, and I am from lancaster co pa. Was just thru there but next time back I will swing down and stop in if he is in. Small world.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Shoot some patched roundball with lapping compound on the patches. OK it's not a gun just a barrel. Well just fasten a RB on your puller and make up some patches with lapping compound on them and proceed to slowly hand lap/polish the barrel. Slow is better than fast anyway.

10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Banned

I just had a .54 Renegade barrel refreshed by Bob Hoyt. It was 65 bucks and that included return shipping. Looked at it with my bore scope and it looked pretty good. I haven't shot it yet so can't say anything about how it shoots but it can't be any worse than it was

Boolit Master
    YAHOOOO, I might have success. I took 220 wrapped around jag, sprayed with wd40 and slowly worked full length strokes after I got it actually open, then 320, then 420 than course steel wool and then fine wool and the barrel is as slick as (whatever you would say) and with a cloth jag it grips and turns with the twist. Looked into barrel and it is nice and clean (slight discolourment) but no pits and good looking rifling. Now the real test, we shall shoot it for groubs. Thanks everyone, even if this ends in failure at least we got it looking good.
    Look twice, shoot once.

As my better 2/3's would say, You are a lucky duck. Quack! Quack!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Well, I just had Bob Hoyt bore and re-rifle one for me. It now has the right twist, right groove depth, and a nice new finish. Can't beat that for $100.

-Nobade
    Looks like necshot might not need a rebore but could you post the contact info for Bob Hoyt. For what sounds like the correct money, I would like to talk to him about a original Kentucky barrel I would like to do something with.
    Thanks
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Reg, I googled Bob Hoyt and alot of reviews about him(all very good) and his address and phone. Somebody mentioned he has no web page, just call him.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Here's his info:
    http://www.manta.com/c/mmsyppy/freischutz-shop

Real good guy to work with. He knows his muzzleloaders, he and Whittaker make pretty much all the match winning barrels the skirmishers use. He can also reline trapdoors and other thinwall barrel rifles.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Got it. Will give him a call. Would really like to do something with that old barrel.
    Thanks
    Reg
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    have you tried just shooting it? it might shoot better than you think.

Boolit Master
    I am stocking it right now into a piece of locust. I want some wieght because with that 1x32 inch twist I have dreams of shooting Idaho Rons load in this gun. (the Lee 500 pp) I don't care for recoil anymore so a little heavy might help.
    Look twice, shoot once.