MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question about .30 Remington Vs .30-30 Winchester

I know this is a very old thread but I failed to respond back when I joined you guys. I just wanted to say "Thanks" for the advice, I will do my best to locate the boxes of vintage ammo that I think are buried in my home/office somewhere and see if I can give you folks a list of what is available. Who knows, I may be able to sell some or all of it.

My wife of 39 years was struck with stage IIIc cancer. She is doing well (all things considered) and I forgot that I had even joined this site until tonight while wasting time on the net. Life is strange and sure can throw some curve balls at ya !!

Anyway, my job came to an end and my bride got sick plus a mongrel used my identity to help bleed my retirement account to almost zero and the bank says they can't help me get it back. But we have trudged through so far, so I can't give up now. Hope to get back here soon with some goodies that will help pay the utilities, etc. Thanks again for your help with my question and I feel fortunate that I did not try the ammo and harm the firearm or myself !!

In Remembrance
    Hate to hear of your troubles, but the 30 rem is marketable easy enough. I would be interested if there was a feasible way to ship loaded ammo here. There is quite a bit of demand for just the brass, if nothing else, in fact it comes up in the want to buy pretty often, enough that we have one member starting to build it.

If you look at the two cartridges side by side, you can easily see why you wouldn't want to shoot one in a 30/30.

Boolit Grand Master

I think that .30 Rem ammo is hard to get. If this is correct, somebody REALLY
    wants that ammo - don't waste it and risk your gun and your self.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Please do not shoot those in your trente trente (.30-30)...

People pay big bucks (as in more than $2/round) for modern factory ammo...

http://www.ammo-one.com/30Remington.html

In Remembrance
    Visual aid for those to look at.

First the 25Rem along side the 30-30 parent case.

Second this is the 30Rem along side the 30-30 parent case.

Last is the 32Rem along side the 30-30 parent case.

These have all been Hydroformed so there's no need to fire form the cases. With Hydroforming it gets around a 90% fill out.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Can they be made from 30/30s by turning down the rim and cutting the extractor groove?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance
    That's what I'm doing....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Can they be made from 30/30s by turning down the rim and cutting the extractor groove?
    Looks like it should work ok. Might be just a tad short.
    (Click on the images to show to scale)

30 Rem from CIP Standard specs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30_Remington_C.I.P._Standard.bmp 
Views:	34 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	101144

30-30 Win from SAAMI specs

Name:	30-30_Winchester_SAAMI_Specs_Red.bmp 
Views:	30 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	101141

30 Rem / 30-30 Win Overlay

Name:	30-30_Winchester_Overlay.bmp 
Views:	45 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	101139
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

In Remembrance
    Talk about a thread drift.

When you Hydroform the cases the case grows a bit, the factory trim length for the 30Rem and the 32Rem is 2.050 -.020 and the ones I've done are trimmed to 2.035

Annealing Services

I just buy my 30 Rems from Buffalo Arms. No problem. I love my Model 8. I don't have a need for much more that a couple boxes and I probably won't reload. I use a few to sight-in and the others will be for one deer per bullet.

Owen

I have always fancied a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and passed one over recently (the only one I have ever heard of in Australia) as a phone call to pretty much every decent sized gun shop in Australia resulted in a bag of 50 cases, for a ridiculous price. Knowing what I do now, I will transform some 30-30 cases, I have a bucket or two of them.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance
    35Rem is not the same critter as the pictures above. I'm in the process of converting 35Rem from 308 LC cases. Not done with that conversion yet but so far so good.

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy
    To add to the 30 Remington Rimless confusion Remington did stamp some early Model 8's 30-30 Rem and Stevens lever actions were also stamped 30-30 Rem. Both were actually chambered for the Rimless cartridge. Don't know the reasoning behind that but it has been confusing people ever since.

Banned

Grumpa, this won't help your production operation much, but I just FL resize .308s in a .358 Winchester die (with expander mandrel installed), then relube with lanolin/castor oil and whang 'em through a .35 Remington die. This is AFTER discovering that turning the rims down and base-sizing in first a .457" and then a .454" Lee push though boolit sizing die was a waste of time in my particular Marlin whose bolt face and chamber will accept un-turned .308 rims and the case head just being resized to normal and then put through a .35 Rem die is plenty small enough to drop right in. Not SAAMI spec, but it fits my rifle just dandy. Had to turn the necks a bit to thin them near the base, and of course trim to length.

Gear

Now that's right clever Geargnasher! I'll put that in the bank.

Boolit Buddy

30 Remington ammo and brass is on back order just about everywhere. Ditto with 25 & 32 Rem which is often just reformed 30 Rem brass. So finding a home for your 30 rem ammo shouldn't be much of a problem. I recently picked up 60 rounds of 170 gr 32 Rem ammo at a LGS for a fellow that wanted them only to have to eat the purchase since he ran into cash problems. I figure somebody else will need them one of these days.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

In Remembrance
    I have three old boxes of 30 rim winchester silvertips that came with my Model 14. I just couldn't make myself shoot them, so will probably keep them for ever. One full box and one missing 3 and one missing 2 iirc. Apparently the old gent that owned the rifle bought a new box every deer season. lol

Boolit Master

30 Remington

When I bought my Model 141 in 30 Remington, the gentleman threw in 14 unopened boxes of ammo, RCBS dies as well as several hundred unfired cases. While I've refrained from shooting the factory ammo, 100 of the cases have been loaded many times. While not the most accurate rifle in my vault (2 to 2 1/2 MOA), it is one of the funnest rifles that I have and one of the easiest to reload cast boolits for. While many might consider it blasphemy here in the levergun forum, it is as fast to mount and faster for repeating shots than my Model 94 and 64 Winchesters.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

That Model 141 Remington is one interesting looking rifle, I would love one of those!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    That Model 141 Remington is one interesting looking rifle, I would love one of those!
    The model 14 or 141 is about the slickest cycling guns you'll ever shoot. Peterson designed it for Remington and it is as smooth as anything I've ever cycled.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast