RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question about .30 Remington Vs .30-30 Winchester

Stupid Question about .30 Remington Vs .30-30 Winchester

This is my first post on this site and I'll start out with what some may think is a very Stupid Question about .30 Remington Vs .30-30 Winchester. I recently came into being the proud new owner of a box of ammo that most of are calibers I'm not familiar with. In this box is a 20 Round box of .30 Remington 170 Gr Core-lokt PSP rounds. I did some reading on the net and see it was basically the same as a .30-30 Winchester load. My question is will my Marlin 336 in .30-30 safely chamber and fire these rounds? I don't even want to load them into the rifle until I get info to tell me if this is safe to do. Thanks and I apologize for being an old gray haired noob with a dumb question.

Boolit Master
    NO!
    It's not a dumb question. It's only dumb to try it first and ask why things went bad, later.

Seriously, post the ammo in the classifieds and let someone who has the right rifle buy or trade for them.

Boolit Master
    Hello Eli'sbook and welcome to the forum. 30-30 is a rimmed case and 30 Remington is not. Do not load in your 30-30. No question is dumb if you do not know the answer. I would always err on the side of caution. Safety first. Good shooting.

Pete

Is the "NO" about my question not being dumb or a no, don't try them in my Marlin 336 in .30-30 ?

I thought I read in the rules that I have to be a member for 30 days before I can post "for sale" items ?

Great, I kind of thought that was the case but wanted to be sure with the price of ammo these days - Thank You !!

Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    Hello Eli'sbook and welcome to the forum. 30-30 is a rimmed case and 30 Remington is not. Do not load in your 30-30. No question is dumb if you do not know the answer. I would always err on the side of caution. Safety first. Good shooting.

Pete

Remington introduced a series of cartridges designed for their pump rifles that were ballistic twins of the Winchester's levergun cartridges, they are in a side by side comparison

25-34 Win. - 25 Remington
    30-30 Win. - 30 Remington
    32 Win. Spl. - 32 Remington

While of comparable ballistics and case capacities, they are not interchangeable in rifles, for the reasons mentioned above.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Good advice already posted here, BUT,according to old gents I hunted with as a youth, it was a relatively common and accepted practice during the ammo situation caused by wwII,to use 30 Rem.ammuntion in their Winchester 30/30s whenever nothing else could be obtained..Single shot only ,of course,and either or rod or pocket knife nec.for extraction after loading/firing..I tried it for kicks/grins ,worked ok for me.. Don't know about trying in a Marlin ,as I was grown and far from home before I ever saw a Marlin rifle up close...the 30 Rem.was around there only because the Remington 14s,141s, 8s and 81s, were considered OK to own/use...
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    That would be correct! Good chambers headspace somewhere on the sloping part of the neck for both cartridges. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    ....ole gents used to put radium in their drinking water too.

Bad idea. Even if it works, it's still a bad idea.

Boolit Master
    .30 Remington has a different shoulder angle than .30-30, ~23 deg. vs. ~15 deg, making the length to the shoulder longer. Pretty much a .30-30 equivalent other than that.

Boolit Master
    DO NOT SHOOT .30 REM IN A 30/30. You may try neck sizing a 30 Rem with 30/30 dies. You can use 30/30 loads in a 30 Rem. Boolits may be interchangeable. Just don't shoot in the same gun!!!

Boolit Master
    My brother would like that box of ammo, he has a Rem pump in 30 Rem and pays premium $$ for ammo. If the box is original some collector would also pay a good price. Since you said they had Core Loc bullets I guess it was made by Remington.

Tim

Above responses answered the question, but I will just throw in that the only dumb question is the one you ask AFTER emergency medical service is in transit.

Boolit Master

Eli'sbook,

I have nothing to add but would take the oppurtionity to welcome you to the site.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the affliction! And no, that wasn't a dumb question. The 30 Rem is an obscure but interesting cartridge and some folks would jump at the chance for some factory ammo or cases. Sounds like an interesting box of ammo. Anything else in there?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Yeah, I'd like them.

Owen

You could always pull the bullets and sell the cases to someone who has a 6.8 SPC, dont try and shoot them from your 30-30

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    We used to have a sign at the prison which said "Dumb questions, better than dumb mistakes." Welcome to the site.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Presuming I have the correct picture . This is 32 Rem w/ 32 Win side by side.

Attachment 66318
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is a look at the whole family 6.8 to the right (actually 7RWH 6.8 necked up to 7mm) 32 Win to the left.

Attachment 66363
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast