Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA or DAO for personal defense??

Boolit Master
    I like my Glock. It is light, reliable and in .40 it has moxie; BUT in my humble opinion it has NO safety at all, unless you carry it empty chambered. I feel comfortable with a cocked and locked 1911 or a revolver with hammer be it single or double action. Much if not most of the safe to carry issue is gonna be the human factor.

prs

Boolit Master
    I like SA because the trigger pull is the same as my rifles, all single shot. Probably a bit of an odd reason but it gives me a lot more confidence in a chaotic situation....in the dark and alone.
    Last edited by Texantothecore; 03-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    No brainer for me- DA semi-auto or revolver without safety levers or gadgets.
    This one !!! This one !!! WINNER !!!!

I have two Glocks a G35 in .40S&W and a G21SF in .45 ACP. I started my pistol training at Front Sight 8 years ago with a CZ40P DA decocker in .40S&W.

I fully expected to be #1 in the class because I was a really good pistol shooter. I finished #39 out of 40 and the only person I beat was the woman who had never fired a gun and I was coaching!

I ran the CZ thru 3 classes and figured out that in order to learn to shoot you must master the basics. This is hard to do with a pistol as complicated as a DA/SA decocker. too many conditions you must deal with. Also if you fail to decock before holstering you are holstering a gun with NO Safety ON and a 2lb trigger! The gun is simply too complicated for a beginner. Oh, for your info I was a beginner.

I sold it and got a G35.

The reason why Glocks are so popular is because they are the simplest pistols to master. You can only do three things to a Glock. You can insert a magazine, rack the slide and pull the trigger. With this in mind it is possible to learn all facets of handgun operation much faster. Then you can advance to other gun types if you still want to.

I got the G35 first. I learned how to operate it , then I decided I wanted to move up to a 1911. After weeks of playing with a friends 1911 (which I really really liked) I decided to buy a G21 for my .45..

Here's the reason why. Both of my Glocks have exactly the same trigger pull and operate and are setup the exact same way right down to the sights which are both Dawson Precision Sights. I can pick up either one and do the exact same things and get the exact same outcome, as long as I don't mash!

If I had bought the 1911 I would have to think about what I'm doing, and I have been thru enough tactical training courses to know for sure that you don't have time to think in a gunfight.

All of you LEO guys were basically trained to shoot as a last resort. I am a civilian, I am trained that if I draw my gun it is due to iminent threat, and I am going to fire twice as soon as the sights come to bare. and if that doesn't stop you then you'll get one more in the face.

This would happen immediately after someone crossed "my line in the sand." I'm damn sure not going to wait until you shoot at me first, that tactic is a guaranteed loser.

It would happen in less than 2 seconds, and nobody has time to think, and consider options in 2 seconds. all of this has to be figured out well in advance and trained to perfection. This is why I have Glocks.

I also train alot. I have a SIRT laser training pistol that mimics my Glocks. I shoot it every night.

I live in SoCAl... so I pretty much CAN't carry a gun. However That doesn't mean I can't use one for home defense. I live in the outskirts of town and the response time for the Sherriffs is about 20 minutes. They told me to do what is necessary to stay alive and they will clean up the mess.

When I go to Walmart I am on high alert, and I am watching what is going on around me at all times, because I don't have gun as a last resort. I have to rely on my perceptions and wits to not get backed into a corner where there is no way out.

The whole point of my post is not to glorify Glocks, they are just a means to an end. Or to convice you I'm some kind of hotrod gunfighter, I'm not. I'm just relatively competant.

What I'm saying is that if I bought a 1911 I would not train with the Glocks any more I would train with the 1911. It is easier to go from a 1911 back to a Glock than go from a Glock to a 1911.

However, whatever you shoot you need to train with dry practice frequently like once a week to maintain your proficiency. I don't see this happening in the vast majority of shooters, and especially LE guys.

I live across the street from the County Sherriff's Armoror. He tells me that he can't even get the deputies to come to the range twice a year because the county won't pay for their ammo! They have to qualify once a year, and the test is so easy I could easily pass it,,, weak hand only.

Seems like if you carry a gun for a living, you should be a little more interested in your abilities than that?

What do you think?

The long and short of it is,,, any gun will do if you will do, and if you aren't proficient with whatever you have,,,you need to run!

If you run,,, do make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction so you don't shoot yourself.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I live in SoCAl... so I pretty much CAN't carry a gun. However That doesn't mean I can't use one for home defense.

What do you think?
    With respect, I think the fact you don't carry pretty well invalidates the rest. When I didn't carry, a full size 1911 or 4" .357 Mag was the perfect defense gun because that is what magazine gurus told me. After I got a carry permit twenty years ago that all went out the window.

For a house gun about anything will work. For a carry gun I like something I can jerk and get into action without thinking which makes a strong case for DA/SA or DAO.
    Rule 303

In tiny guns like the Kel Tec Pf9 (DAO) and the Beretta Tomcat (.32 SAO), the advantage of the single action is obvious. There is a world of difference between the hold the single action affords (now you CAN aim), and the two fingered abortion the Kel Tec allows whilst spraying lead. The SA/DA (my preference) is as good as it gets unless you have time to cock the first shot. Except when it's slow motion panic time, therefore a single action is best because it aims better. I told my first wife that if she found a stray rectum in the house to cock the gun put the sights to center mass and if he came towards her, drop the hammer. She never did anything that I told her. The replacement will probly kill you if you need it. The point being that the cocked gun is harder to take away and survive the effort. I hear some of you about the ease of discharge, but if I have to cock that thing and point it at you, an accidental discharge is probably still going to be justifiable, even if not real probable.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Love Life
    Either one is fine with me as long is it is one or the other.

Let me explain.

If it is a DA it needs to be the same trigger pull the whole time. I can't stand the pistols that are a DA pull on the first shot and then SA on following shots.

Boolit Grand Master

Primary carry gun is ltwt Commander, SA, Condition One. Sometimes
    carry Keltec PF9 or P3AT, both DAO. Practice with both, not a problem
    but I prefer the SA fine quality trigger pull. Purely a training issue, IMO.

Occasionally, SIG P225 is carried, SA/DA. This took some considerable training
    to learn the transition, and initially I was not safe, likely to AD a shot during
    "take up" of SA for second shot. VERY disconcerting, and I took some serious
    effort to train up on this gun before carrying. MANY, MANY two shot draw and
    fire exercises. Training is key, all can be learned, eventually, and if you want
    to.

Agree that SA or DAO is MUCH easier to master, no change.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 04-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Most of the time when I'm out boondocking around Wyoming I carry one of several .44 Special revolvers. If I go to town--especially a big town like Billings--I always pack a 1911 with a pair of spares. Like another poster said, it's your life and your choice. I'm not going to diss DAs or DAOs; if they work for you, God Bless, but I've been shooting the 1911 for 40 years, and I'm too old and too set in my ways to learn how to shoot a new platform. Each design has had its share of negligent discharges; it is my contention that it's more a question of the capabilities of the nut behind the trigger than a particular design.

-----------------------------------------------------

A pen in the hand of this president is more of a threat to the public than 200 million Americans with semi-automatic rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    After carring various size 1911 handguns for CCW for the past 40 years , a few years ago i switched to Kahrs DA stricker fired handguns , all 3 a PM9,TP45 and CW45 have excellent 5 lb DA trigger pulls and no safetys to worry about and are very accurate and reliable .Im very impressed with there product.
    I have 4 Kahr's. K-9, MK-9 and 2 CW45's. I have owned well over 100 handguns and the Kahr's have the best double action trigger I have run across for any money. Kinda long but very smooth and easy to master. I am not a big fan of pistols with safety's. They are just one more thing to try and fool with when under extreme stress but as a previous poster said it is all a matter of training. For those that do not get a chance to shoot that much or have little training I recommend a safety if an auto is insisted on or a DA pistol for the nightstand/carry. If the person really just wants one for the nightstand I recommend a Ruger Blackhawk 357. If you fumble for it in the dark or reach and grab it it will not go off no matter what you do short of cocking the hammer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    With respect, I think the fact you don't carry pretty well invalidates the rest. When I didn't carry, a full size 1911 or 4" .357 Mag was the perfect defense gun because that is what magazine gurus told me. After I got a carry permit twenty years ago that all went out the window.

For a house gun about anything will work. For a carry gun I like something I can jerk and get into action without thinking which makes a strong case for DA/SA or DAO.
    Young man at work just got his CCW and insisted on a full size steel 1911. I told him it was a great sidearm but I would buy it when he was sick of carrying around that big of a chunk of metal everyday. I know some men and women don't mind it but I sure do. He is already regretting it as a primary carry weapon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glock makes a single stack .45 ACP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Glock makes a single stack .45 ACP.

I hate glocks. Just as the man said about 1911s. They are a fine weapon but they do not fit me. Fl is a sweaty place for the most part so it's a stainless officers model or a kel-tec p-32 most of the time. I got used to the trigger on the kel-tec and when I take it to the range I refuse to clean it first. I goes bang every time, even with a horrid amount of pocket lint, thus giving me great confidence in it. Carry what works for you.

I own a Sig DAO it shoots great but you have to practace to get use to it..

Boolit Grand Master

Jonp,

Have him get a Sparks WatchSix and use a lightweight Commander and he will
    be happy. With this holster, the ltwt Commander is very comfortable all day.

http://www.miltsparks.com/Watch_Six.htm

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Piedmont: so you're agreeing with me that a Glock is one of the best choices because they are really simple pistols to learn and operate.

I'm pretty sure that's what I read?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Love Life
    I love Glock pistols.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Piedmont: so you're agreeing with me that a Glock is one of the best choices because they are really simple pistols to learn and operate.

I'm pretty sure that's what I read?

Randy
    Well, they are kinda' fat, but I don't want anyone shooting at me with a Glock because it probably will go bang every time and he won't forget to hit the safety.
    Rule 303

I have a sig DAO shoots very well practice is the key....

Boolit Bub
    Well it's either a S&W Revolver, all have external hammers however they get shot double action most of the time minus my 8". When not carrying a revolver it's a HK P7 or 1911 both single action. Revolvers tend to rule the roost for my carry and home defense situations so mostly double action shooting at the range. Shoot what you are familiar with, any firearm can become second nature with practice.

Regards,

JP99

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12